Fall New England FrankenFest Saturday October 20th, 2018 Sutton MA

I plan on being there, but might be without any gear. Currently everything is in storage and our closing was scheduled for early July. Buyers have turned into flakes and I have no idea where we will be come show time. But, with that being said, if it all isn't still stored in 3 different places, I would like to participate in an organized listening session. I still have the ESB and some JBL Monitors. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Ugh, sucks.

I've never met any of you, and haven't frequented this forum as much as I probably should because I have (mostly) newer gear and none is high end stuff.

That said, earlier in this thread a couple folks mentioned rarer and/or oddball stuff. I recently picked up a pair of 1988-1991 vintage Hafler 300 floorstanding speakers off the Boston area Craigslist. In 1989 I had bought a pair of Hafler 200 bookshelf, though when I refreshed my whole system at the tail end of 2015 into mid-2016, those truly got "shelved." I later gifted them to a beloved niece and her husband as a housewarming gift. When I saw the 300's for $200 in near-mint condition (all original drivers and tweeters, etc), I bought them. They cost $800 a pair in 1989 and with 2 young 'uns in hand and a 3rd on the way, I couldn't buy the big boys I really wanted.

Would these be something people might want to hear if I brought them down? They're pretty since my son had their recommended Watco Danish Oil to refresh the finish. They can't hold a candle to my modern KEF R series or LS50's for detail, but not bad. I would have nothing of that vintage to drive them, and they do like a little power. I'm using a Denon AVR-1912 but that's nothing special.

Should I show up with these in the car?

I'd be interested in hearing them, but I can't say for sure that I'll be able to be there, yet.

I'd be interested in hearing them, but I can't say for sure that I'll be able to be there, yet.

I'm probably not going to bring the Hafler 300's unless I know there's at least a few people that really want to hear them. What I do want to bring is my office/desktop setup that consists of all modern stuff, including KEF LS50's, a Bluesound Powernode 2, and a KEF Kube 10b subwoofer. While they're used on my desk, I'll bring a pair of Paradigm S-26 stands to put them on for a demo.

Now my question: Having never been to an event like this before, do all who are demonstrating a system play the same music so one can compare response? Is that a bad idea and if so, why? For me to play music with the Bluesound Powernode 2, I can use my wi-fi hotspot to access Tidal HiFi, though between now and then I'm going to also test connecting it to a W-D MyCloud 2TB drive with a lot of music on it (over 500 CD's.) I'm not sure if it'll access the music via the Ethernet port or USB port without a good, fast internet connection. The Powernode 2 does have one of those combo optical/3.5mm ports that I use as optical from my PC to it for computer sounds (YouTube videos, etc.), but no Toslink output, only the USB or Ethernet. I'll get that worked out ahead of time.

While for comparison purposes it would be ideal to listen to the same music I think we more go for the experiential nature of sharing something that we each personally enjoy or want to introduce to the group.

I'm probably not going to bring the Hafler 300's unless I know there's at least a few people that really want to hear them. What I do want to bring is my office/desktop setup that consists of all modern stuff, including KEF LS50's, a Bluesound Powernode 2, and a KEF Kube 10b subwoofer. While they're used on my desk, I'll bring a pair of Paradigm S-26 stands to put them on for a demo.

Now my question: Having never been to an event like this before, do all who are demonstrating a system play the same music so one can compare response? Is that a bad idea and if so, why? For me to play music with the Bluesound Powernode 2, I can use my wi-fi hotspot to access Tidal HiFi, though between now and then I'm going to also test connecting it to a W-D MyCloud 2TB drive with a lot of music on it (over 500 CD's.) I'm not sure if it'll access the music via the Ethernet port or USB port without a good, fast internet connection. The Powernode 2 does have one of those combo optical/3.5mm ports that I use as optical from my PC to it for computer sounds (YouTube videos, etc.), but no Toslink output, only the USB or Ethernet. I'll get that worked out ahead of time.
This sounds pretty cool, but there were some internet connection issues last year with another system. Hopefully it’s better this year.

The idea of the same song is interesting, but the problem
is all the various sources via TT’s, CD players, iPods, laptops and so on.

So I did a little testing today with my Verizon 4G WiFi hotspot and my home's wireless network. Normally the Bluesound Powernode 2 is connected to my network via Ethernet. I got the Powernode 2 and my Android tablet to both connect to the hotspot and had the Western Digital 2TB drive connected to the Ethernet port on the Powernode 2. Probably need to work on creating a mapped path to the actual music folder on the MyCloud drive because it couldn't find it.

The 4G wireless did fire up Tidal HiFi, but it dropped both the tablet and the amp after a couple minutes. I don't know if it's because I have a pretty pathetic 4G signal here at home, but that's the likely cause. I have a Sony CDP-CE500 5-disk player and tested it tonight. It still works, so that'll be my fall-back source. I'd prefer the Tidal HiFi for you because with that and Bluesound, I get "full unfold" of MQA (Tidal Masters selections), so I could demo the same song on their regular 1441kbps "CD quality" and MQA for those interested. KEF LS50's do resolve enough to hear it. I think. ;)

I throughly encourage you to organize a summer event (you knew this was coming).
As I am moving from Clinton to West Boylston, I am searching for venues that might accommodate such an event. I have located two that might work for us, but it is still early.

Sutton's becoming a popular place. There's an antique engine/tractor show there in October, and if I'm lucky I'll get my 100-year-old engine running in time.

Three things from my brain to your screens:

1) Ken, I'd be interested in hearing and seeing the Haflers. I actually gave them a few looks on CL. Glad they went to the right person.

2) There is a remote possibility that I might be able to reserve/rent space in my new building in Lawrence for another get together, or as a substitute if Sutton gets long in the tooth. I'm in a 560,000 square foot industrial building. There are a number of large suites available for events. There's a loading dock, freight elevator, passenger elevator, and an antique shop in the building. No promises, but I can ask if needed.

3) Not likely I will be bringing much to sell by the looks of things on the other page, but I would like to get some opinions on this little experimental 2-way I have been working on. Here's a sneak peek. So, please sign me up for a listening session.

44764948791_f0116d226b_b.jpg

Three things from my brain to your screens:

1) Ken, I'd be interested in hearing and seeing the Haflers. I actually gave them a few looks on CL. Glad they went to the right person.

2) There is a remote possibility that I might be able to reserve/rent space in my new building in Lawrence for another get together, or as a substitute if Sutton gets long in the tooth. I'm in a 560,000 square foot industrial building. There are a number of large suites available for events. There's a loading dock, freight elevator, passenger elevator, and an antique shop in the building. No promises, but I can ask if needed.

3) Not likely I will be bringing much to sell by the looks of things on the other page, but I would like to get some opinions on this little experimental 2-way I have been working on. Here's a sneak peek. So, please sign me up for a listening session.

OK, I'll see about bringing the Hafler 300's and the LS50's and give each 1/2 the total allotted demo time given per person. I am also torn on subwoofers. I planned to bring the newer KEF Kube10b and still can, but I have finished the re-engineering of the old Miller & Kreisel V-90. It's original 90 watt amp is replaced with a Dayton Audio SPA250DSP, and the original 12" driver with maybe 10-15mm of xmax is now a 12" SB Acoustics SB34SWPL-76-4 with 30mm xmax.
SB-Acoustics_SW34SWPL-76-4.jpg

Wow - we're only 4 weeks away from our fall event.

Spread the word and put a link to the event in your AK signature line!

I'm planning on bringing my modded Sansui AU-999 to hook up to someone else's system to get everyone's critical analysis.
Kevin aka Kevzep in New Zealand has come up with a number of modes for this sweet little amp (which was TOTL back then).
Amongst the mods besides a through recapping and replacement of troublesome signal transistors are increased main capacitor size, a preamp circuit mod amn a constant current source in the driver section.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/secret-shenanigans-with-an-au999.834168/

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/knock-knock-its-my-ntm-au-999.701143/

I'm planning on bringing my modded Sansui AU-999 to hook up to someone else's system to get everyone's critical analysis.
Kevin aka Kevzep in New Zealand has come up with a number of modes for this sweet little amp (which was TOTL back then).
Amongst the mods besides a through recapping and replacement of troublesome signal transistors are increased main capacitor size, a preamp circuit mod amn a constant current source in the driver section.

I welcome you to hook it up to my modern KEF LS50's, if you want. They are a high-resolving speaker. Many owners have 100 to over 300 watts into them and say they sound better with overkill power, I find they sound pretty darn good with the up to 60 watts per channel I give them now.

Been wondering about a local meet. I'd really like to attend this.

Seems like it's not a strictly DIY event, but maybe I can bring my SMPS powered Pass M2 Amp for the heck of it.... sorry, only 25WPC :)

-Marc

Been wondering about a local meet. I'd really like to attend this.
Seems like it's not a strictly DIY event, but maybe I can bring my SMPS powered Pass M2 Amp for the heck of it.... sorry, only 25WPC :)
-Marc
It’s strictly an event for people with a slightly obsessive interest in all things audio.
We’d love to hear whatever you have that you find interesting - surely it will be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom