Farnsworth Speakers

bigboyroy

Greetings to all.....I'm new to the site and love the information gathered here. I am an avid collector of vintage solid state gear and saw a set of large end table size speakers today at the local thrift with Farnsworth on the front. They are in mint condition for $99. Cannot find much on the internet at all on these? Any info would be appreciated. Bigboyroy

Farnsworth

Thank you for the reply and greeting. Will check that out.....Farnsworth must be a speaker designer that has something to do with Talon speakers but info is scarce for sure. Roy

Farnsworth invented the TV in Fort Wayne, Indiana - I don't think he was in to speakers.

Farnsworth Lab is at 200 Green Street in SanFrancisco. I used to work there for 5 years there is a Historical Plaque there on the corner.

Farnsworth made upper end radios and TV's in the 40's and 50's, maybe even the 60's. That's all I know about them. I didn't know they made speakers - unless it is a different Farnsworth. Can you take the backs off and see what is inside? Are they heavy and well made? We are all curious.

$100 might be a great deal if the driver(s) are JBL, Altec, Stephens, etc,... If the drivers are more 'run of the mill, such as Utah or University, then you might break even.

See if you can figure out how many drivers are in the cabinets? Only one 12" would indicate a potentially valuable full-range speaker (coax, triax).

The seller might let you look inside if you show up with a screwdriver...

Here are some pics of the speakers......I could find no way to get inside the speakers other than to remove the front grills which seemed solidly attached as well....the salvation army guys were watching me pretty closely the whole time so I could not pry real hard.....the backs were totally solid with no screws, etc. to get into the components inside.....listened to them awhile but was not impressed.....pretty muddy sounding....I'm pretty sure they are three ways but did not seem to be quality drivers.......do these pics help anyone out about the history? R

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 244
Not sure about what is inside them, but those are beautiful cabs. Heck, I'd buy them just for the cabs and if they did not have good drivers, I'd buy some and put them in. I really like the looks of them.

Reactions: KWH
My guess is your inital listening tests were clouded by an old crossover. With the build quality, they might be real gems. I would inclined to pick them up.:yes:

KM Farnswoth Speaker System

Made in Maine. Front and rear labels/plates are engraved plastic. Very well made. The rears are sealed, and the front grills are held in place with screws (feel along the bottom of the top grill edge).

KM Farnswoth Speaker System

Made in Maine. Front and rear labels/plates are engraved plastic. Very well made. The rears are sealed, and the front grills are held in place with screws (feel along the bottom of the top grill edge).

other than the location of the screws, didn't the OP already discover all of that just from looking at the enclosure?

what would be REALLY helpful would be knowing about the drivers inside. that kind of real insider info would be a deal maker I think.

:)

Well, it has been 4 years, anyone have any new information on these speakers?
I just picked up a pair, exact same as pictured above and a google search yields this thread and absolutely nothing else about KM Farnsworth or KGLL inc. in Lewiston Maine.
The seller told me that Farnsworth worked with Henry Kloss, and thinks he went out on his own, that tidbit is all I have to add...If I get them open I will post some more info.
Ed

I like those cabs !! Be very interested in whats inside...Is that location in AR/KLH/ADVENT territory ???

It's been over four years since the original post and we still haven't found out what is inside those speakers.

Well, it has been 4 years, anyone have any new information on these speakers?
I just picked up a pair, exact same as pictured above and a google search yields this thread and absolutely nothing else about KM Farnsworth or KGLL inc. in Lewiston Maine.
The seller told me that Farnsworth worked with Henry Kloss, and thinks he went out on his own, that tidbit is all I have to add...If I get them open I will post some more info.
Ed

How about some pics of them sans grills?

Back
Top Bottom