Favorite Female Artists

Believe it or not...a goodwill purchase

Diggin' through the used cd's, and found a K.D. Lang titled "Ingenue". Really never listened to her much, but this is unbelievable. 1992 release, and it's just gorgeous. I'm a new fan!

Clay

yeah...she could actually sing pretty darn good Clay...although you wouldn't know it if you only heard her "radio songs".

My Top 5 girl singers, no particular order:

~ Chrissy Hynde

~ Patsy Cline (she just kills ya!)

~ Tracy Chapman (another killa!)

~ Clare Torrey (the one who did Pink Floyd's "Great Gig In The Sky". Absolutely mind-boggling!)

~ Debbie Harry

Last edited:
I'd have to lean towards Thor's pick, but on a musical note I have to go with Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde. For those who aren't familiar I highly recommend her!!

john

Originally posted by Toasted Almond
Della Reese all the way. You Ella fans ever hear the live recording from Berlin, when she forgot the words to "Mack the Knife" and made up her own as she went along? Incredible. I have it around here somewhere.

Toasted Almond

mmmmmm... somethin bout' cash
yeah miller... he was spendin that trash

you won't recognize it... it's a surprise hit

Knocked me out too!! Good call!!

No, No!! I meant Georgia O'Keefe! I thought Jean Arp was a woman but I am beguining to suspect a Frenchman instead.

my favorite is faith hill.

I also like Toni Braxton and Shania Twain.

Madonna (only music from the 80's though is what i like)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Mrs. Kamakiri

Madonna (only music from the 80's though is what i like)

Really ...I like that 'Hollywood' tune that she did at the VMA's here a while Back....With Brittany ......

Not just the kiss(twern't nuttin')!!..... but ...I liked the tune.......Really!!! :)

Ella Fitzgerald is my gold standard!

Newer stuff I enjoy:

Marilyn Mazur - Danish(?) percussionist and multi-artist. I first heard (and saw!) her live with Miles Davis in the mid 80's in Oslo. Didn't see much of Miles though, since he had his back turned towards the audience...

Jennifer Warnes

Cassandra Wilson

- Harald

Whoa!

A previous post referred to Sandy Denny as the woman who 'sang' "Great Gig in the Sky".

Not to be snooty but: wrong-o-rama!

The vocal on "Great Gig in the Sky" was by Clare Torrey.

Sandy Denny (also an excellent singer, now sadly departed, I believe) did sing harmony vocals on Led Zepplin's "Battle of Evermore".

Had to clear that up... :)

Stevie Nicks is my number one female singer!

Also enjoy: Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Madonna, Sarah McLachlan, Gwen Stefani, Sheryl Crow, Christine McVie, Björk, Kate Bush, Siouxsie Sioux, Annie Lennox, Cyndi Lauper, Ella Fitzgerald, Laurie Anderson, Patricia Barber, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Carly Simon, Joan Osborne, Deborah Harry, and Jewel...to name a few!

Back
Top Bottom