Favorite Female Artists

I like most female artists...... being a ladies man and all that :naughty:

I must say however that the female artist I respect the most is LUCY KAPLANSKY. I've seen her in concert here in the UK and was blown away by her honesty and down-to-earth personality. She is a really nice person and would probably be my dream date (Good looking, Witty, Charming, Intelligent, Loads of money etc :smlove: )

I also like in to particular order

Suzy Bogguss
Stevie Nicks
Pat Benatar
Deborah Harry
Diana Krall
Kelly Willis
Sara Evans
Terri Clark
Linda Ronstadt
Emmylou
Alison Krauss
Shawn Colvin
Dolly Parton
Aimee Mann
Margo Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies
Maria McKee
Elkie Brooks (the cover of Rich Mans Woman anybody :boink:)
Natalie Merchant
Gillian Welch (for that homely / lived in look of hers)
Shakira
Bonnie Raitt

Great list there Trawlerman and I agree about Lucy Kaplansky. A very under rated singer/songwriter. I have a couple of her disks now - outstanding BTW: Anyone seen the cover of the new Alison Krauss & Union Station disk - also outstanding :naughty:

-Dave

OK, OK, I really DON'T like much those teen queens I mentioned-altho of the sorry lot, I think Christina prolly has the best set of pipes. Where's Madogga been lately? Isn't it about time for her to re-invent herself again for the 17,134th time ? I'd think the Pious Jew gambit has about run its course. I read something on the Kabbalah a LONG time ago-long B4 the Material Girl ever knew it even existed-and it was said that proper study of the Kabbalah takes a lifetime-and even then you barely scratch the surface. Another female singer I DON'T like is that gal who screeches on that song "My Beloved"-almost as bad as that 4 Non-Blondes song of about 10 years ago-"What's Goin' On?" -Sandy G.

My favourite female artists are not commonly heard of, but they kick butt!

Maia Sharp's self titled CD is great...great voice and the band behind her is top notch as is the engineering....

Judith Owen, who sometimes tours and records as a backup singer in Richard Thompson's albums and tours, and who happens to be married to Simpson's creator or producer (not shure) ,comedian Harry Shearer...

I can dabble a little into Diana Krall, but no more than a couple of songs at a time...

I like Rebecca Pidgeon (sp?) a bit,,,but again, in short quantities, as the last two singers sometimes get boring style-wise after a few...

Yep WhiteSE, Judith Owen is another overlooked gem. I have "Twelve Arrows" and "Emotions on a Postcard", but need to find "Limited Edition". All outstanding!

-Dave

For you Lucy fans check out the album Cry,Cry,Cry with Lucy,Dar Williams and Richard Shindell.
Shindell does a cover of James Keelaghan's Cold Missouri Water that will curl your hair(well mines already curly so it straightened mine)
If you go to order type in Cry,the artists names aren't featured on the cover
It is one of my all time favs.

Alan

Guess I showed up late for this election. For me, in no particular order:

Joan Armatrading
Lucinda (I admit it- I've got like a major-league teenager-style crush on her)
Neko Case
Jesse Sykes

Not all that many jump to mind, actually.

I would love to get a copy of Amused to Death but I ain't paying. Instead I will just keep spinning the Final Cut which i think is one fine sounding LP.

Grumpy

opt80 said:
For you Lucy fans check out the album Cry,Cry,Cry with Lucy,Dar Williams and Richard Shindell.
Shindell does a cover of James Keelaghan's Cold Missouri Water that will curl your hair(well mines already curly so it straightened mine)
If you go to order type in Cry,the artists names aren't featured on the cover
It is one of my all time favs.

Alan

Thanks Alan, never heard of that one before. Got it on my buy list now though.

-Dave

Aimee Mann (Till Tuesday) Good cryin in your beer music afta ya bust up with the little lady :cry:

Anybody here like SAM PHILLIPS. Not THE Sam Phillips of Stax fame but the Sam Phillips who is married to T-Bone Burnett.

She did an album back in the early 90's called Cruel Inventions that is truly outstanding.

B000000WHT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amazon.com
Quietly, almost imperceptibly, Southern California thrush Sam Phillips has built up an exceptional body of work. Cruel Inventions is but the third in a gently swelling series of consistently creative, intriguingly off-center pop-rock recordings. As with all of her "Sam" recordings (prior to the mid '80s, she'd achieved considerable success in Christian music circles under her given name, Leslie Phillips), this 10-song set from 1991 is branded by a kind of chamber psychedelia (courtesy of her hubby, producer T Bone Burnett). With Van Dyke Parks, Marc Ribot, and special guest Elvis Costello helping to shape the soundscape, Phillips wafts above the cushioned din, gazing down on scenes that inspire incongruously harsh denouements. Songs such as "Lying," "Raised on Promises," and "Now I Can't Find the Door" leave one feeling unsettled...and enthralled. --Steven Stolder

Highly recommended for those of you that enjoy real music and the Christina/Britney poop.

grumpy said:
I would love to get a copy of Amused to Death but I ain't paying. Instead I will just keep spinning the Final Cut which i think is one fine sounding LP.

Grumpy

I think i saw in GEMM an AmtDeath LP for like 250 bucks,,,,I wish the live CD with almost all of the tracks In The Flesh had come out on LP...the quality of that recording is priceless!

Don't forget Bernadette Peters!!

"I'm Your Baby Tonight" and "Bernadette Peters Loves Rodgers & Hammerstein", are must haves in any collection!!!

1095247088_bp_02.jpg

Filmboydoug said:
Some great Ella recordings at Acoustic sounds. My fav is Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. I have both the sacd and 180 gram vinyl and both sound great.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=6837

Have given your recommendation a spin in SACD format. While the recording is great and so is the performance, I am looking for more of a "belt it out" and "in your face" type of music from Ella. Some gospel or faster, harder hitting music, like blues, perhaps. If you or Harald have any other recommendations I would be willing to try them, as well.

Thanks.

AudioGeek said:
My Top 5 girl singers, no particular order:

~ Chrissy Hynde

~ Patsy Cline (she just kills ya!)

~ Tracy Chapman (another killa!)

~ Clare Torrey (the one who did Pink Floyd's "Great Gig In The Sky". Absolutely mind-boggling!)

~ Debbie Harry

Since I just heard "Diamonds and Rust" again tonight, I 'd have to say all of them and JOAN BAEZ is their GODMOTHER. GOD, she makes me melt away into nothing when I hear that voice...in high fidelity AM too.

Back
Top Bottom