Favorite Scotch

Ralfy has like a "Reverse Mortgage deal" with his Undertaker....when he checks out, he`ll already be pre-embalmed when he goes into the shop.... :)

(Love his reviews !)

Haha! I love his reviews too. He is honest, humble, very knowledgeable, and without a whisp of pretension or snobbery. He also doesn't take himself too seriously which I find very refreshing. He is my favorite whiskey reviewer and I find his style very refreshing in the world of whiskey reviews. :)

In shop with a cigar and Pandora and a new bottle. John Coltrane and a Cigar and Scotch go together very well.1448479414547-1107536535.jpg

I just bought a bottle of the Aberlour 10 Year Old I mentioned on the previous page and I have to say I am not impressed. It tastes like Dewar's White Label with a little more smoke and a very slight toffee undertone, but overall it lacks a great deal of complexity and nuance. I have had many blends better than this. Wow, Ralfy has never steered me wrong before. This is certainly a first. Maybe there were huge differences in the batches? IDK? Certainly none of the complexity he mentions in his review. It is smooth, but very bland and dull too me. I guess my search for a good and cheap single malt continues..... *sighs* :/

Last edited:
I just bought a bottle of the Aberlour 10 Year Old I mentioned on the previous page and I have to say I am not impressed. It tastes like Dewar's White Label with a little more smoke and a very slight toffee undertone, but overall it lacks a great deal of complexity and nuance. I have had many blends better than this. Wow, Ralfy has never steered me wrong before. This is certainly a first. Maybe there were huge differences in the batches? IDK? Certainly none of the complexity he mentions in his review. It is smooth, but very bland and dull too me. I guess my search for a good and cheap single malt continues..... *sighs* :/

Give Ardmore a look.

Another vote for Oban 14, but it is getting a little rich for my blood--currently "on sale" for $75 (normally $80) at the state controlled liquor stores here in PA, but it's not like I drink a case of it per month.

I also like the occasional islay single malt (for something different) and the Glenmorangie "flavored" highlands--aged the extra 2 years in used wine casks.

A good friend came by with a new Scotch (to me) as a Christmas gift.

GlenDronach Revival 15 Year

Delicious and complex.

My 'new' favorite. :thumbsup:

Had my first taste of Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or, fairly complex notes.

I have done the Quinta Rubin and thought it interesting but this one takes it a lot further.
Perhaps my affinity for this particular brand comes from my last name being Moran?
Just wish it allowed me the key to the vaults.

Trader Joes has recently expanded their house line of scotch. Now they've got an 8,10,12, and (I think) 13 year. I'm trying their 10-year highland right now and it's not too shabby.

Still working my new-forChristmas bottle of
14YO - Balvenie Doublewood - Carribean Cask ...
Aged in an oak cask, then aged in a rum cask ...

(Its actually further down the bottle now,
this picture was from Christmas eve ...)

(The Angel's Envy is for eggnog ...)

Balvenie&Rum_1721.jpg

Last edited:
My regulars (within a reasonable price):
- Oban 14
- Oban 18
- Talisker 15
- Talisker 20
- Glenmorangie 18
- Balvenie 17 Doublewood

I've been sipping some Dalmore 18 Year that I got for xmas. Pretty darned good.

Brought this one out when a friend was preparing for a rather invasive knee surgery.
I offered to compare it to some others, but he said it was going down so well
no other comparisons were made. I agreed at the time!

Quite a nice after taste and the darkest colour scotch I have had for a sherry aged cask type.
IMG_3066_Fotor.jpg

I have a few go-to Scotches such as Ardbeg 10, Highland Park 12, and Aberlour A'bunadh. The liquor cabinet has Lagavulin 16 and a few other nice drams that haven't been opened yet but I'm hoping that will change soon.

MacCutcheon Scotch whiskey for me.

th

Back
Top Bottom