Favorite "Under the Radar" movie?

Y'all have a whole different take on "under the radar" movies than I do -
Really!
"The Conversation" and "Blow Up" are hardly unsung - (Don't forget "Enemy of the State") -
they are quite famous and required viewing for anyone heading into Film appreciation -

Y'all have a whole different take on "under the radar" movies than I do -
Really!
"The Conversation" and "Blow Up" are hardly unsung - (Don't forget "Enemy of the State") -
they are quite famous and required viewing for anyone heading into Film appreciation -

Nor was "Seconds" unsung; being a Frankenheimer picture made when his career was still strong it got a great deal of attention and I still see an occasional article on it.

"The Station Agent" (2003, starring Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson, Bobby Cannevale, Michele Williams)

Dinklage is Finn, an angry and disaffected dwarf (and also a rabid railroad train aficionado). When his best friend suddenly dies, Finn learns that he has inherited a quaint little old train depot, up in the wilds of northern NJ. He decides to take up residence in the old station, and along the way, manages to make a couple of new friends, Joe (Cannevale), the local hot dog truck operator, and Olivia (Clarkson), a divorced Bohemian artist. A charming little film, one of my favorites....
Two snaps up !

"The Station Agent" (2003, starring Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson, Bobby Cannevale, Michele Williams)

Dinklage is Finn, an angry and disaffected dwarf (and also a rabid railroad train aficionado). When his best friend suddenly dies, Finn learns that he has inherited a quaint little old train depot, up in the wilds of northern NJ. He decides to take up residence in the old station, and along the way, manages to make a couple of new friends, Joe (Cannevale), the local hot dog truck operator, and Olivia (Clarkson), a divorced Bohemian artist. A charming little film, one of my favorites....
Two snaps up !

An excellent film indeed.:D

"Under The Rainbow" wth Chevy Chase is fairly unknown. Mel Brooks' "To Be Or Not To Be" and "The Twelve Chairs" rate up. There with me. "Eating Raoul" is fairly obscure and just plain weird. Sorry....I can never pick just ONE of anything as a favorite.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (See my Avatar - Big Chris carrying two shotguns)
Rock 'n Rolla
American Splendor
The Football Factory
Green Street Holligans
St. Vincent
Killing Zoe
Raising Arizona
Run, Lola, Run

Last edited:
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (See my Avatar - Big Chris carrying two shotguns)
Rock 'n Rolla
American Splendor
The Football Factory
Green Street Holligans
St. Vincent
Killing Zoe
Raising Arizona
Run, Lola, Run

Now you're talking. Ritchie was at his peak for a couple of those. Layer Cake was good also. The Football Factory puts the GSH movie to shame.

Under the radar, I'd chose ~Eastern Promises~ with Vigo Mortensen.

"Night Into Morning" (1951) Widower self-medicates with alcohol. Deliberate and authentic.

"The Seventh Victim" (1943) Satanists in Greenwich Village. Dark and mysterious although apparently somewhat mangled by editing before release.

Neither of these films made money, and neither is geared toward a popular audience. If you tend to dislike Hollywood movies, these are two Hollywood movies you may appreciate. They are intelligent and thoughtful, but also very contemplative and a bit troubling.

From 1993, one of Jack Black and Seth Green's very early movies called Airborne

Great High School drama with lots of Hockey and great Rollerblading (stunts done by Team Rollerblade)

Black is a bumbling riot while Seth is a dweeb whose geeky father drives the Zamboni at the Hockey Rink.

I recorded this off the TV quite some time ago.
It's one of the best films I'd seen in recent years.
I must have watched it four or five times now.
So many characters with interesting personal stories as well as the main storyline.
Made in 1996.

Maybe it was because I always fancied Elizabeth Peña.
I was sad to learn in 2014 that she had died.

Back
Top Bottom