Favorite vintage stereo phono cartridge

johnjhazel

PhxJohn
For me it is the GE VR 1000. Decades old designs that are going strong are the Ortofon SPU's and Londons(Deccas).

I have to say I love the 2000 empires I have some other nice carts but thats the one I always go back to.
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left " Cheers!

I fondly remember my first high quality cartridge - a Pickering Micro V-ATE. I was a teenager and did not have a good system, so honestly it might not be anything special, but I did compare it to a Shure M55E of that era, and preferred the Pickering.

My favorite cartridge is the Decca London Grey Export cartridge from the 70's. I have 2, unfortunately they both need rebuilt. Have been trying to decide whether to rebuild them or purchase a new Decca.

signet TK10ML -microLine-

Signet_TK10_ML_3.jpg

Last edited:
I had a signet that I bought in the early 80's. They were a higher-end line by Audio Technica. It sounded nice, but the output level was quite a bit lower than the Pickering it replaced.

The TK10ML microLine was the TOTL Signet. The output is quite a bit lower (2.2mV) than my vintage Shure and Sonus carts, but I haven't found that to be a problem. It's definitely low for a MM cartridge, but at, or above, most HOMC cartridges.

Old cartridges wear out, so I'll pass. If they didn't I would be looking for a Grace F9E

Replacement stylus can be purchased for the F9, the F8 not so much. And the price for the F8 variants has been escalating to the point there's not much difference between the two any more.

I have always has a soft spot for one of these, and after getting off the high-end crazy train many years ago, came back to spin with one. A very fun and lively cartridge.

IMG_2048.jpg

Once plentiful like the buffalo, I regret not stocking up on more replacement stylii when they were available.

Sonotone 8TA for when I really want that old school sound. 33/45 or 78 needle at the flip of a lever without removing the cart.

so8ta.jpg

Back
Top Bottom