Fed up with crummy tuner repair...Pioneer TX-9500

onwardjames

Hoardimus Maximus
Subscriber
Local repair guy charged me 75 bucks to RESOLDER A LEAD on my TX 9500. It was lighting up, but no sound on am or fm. It worked for all of 3 months. Took it back, 4 months later, another 30 bucks, and it worked for, oh, well, as soon as I got home, it died again. Whopped it on the side, and it came to life. Died again 2 days ago. Mint tuner, just refuses to work. This guy used to be reputable, but I get the feeling he doesn't know what he is doing, or just doesn't give a shit.

If I return it again, I'm gonna get ugly. So I guess I'll eat the 105 bucks and ship it off to Mr. DeWick.

In the meantime, anyone got any experience with the Sony XDR-F1HD??

Keep hearing good stuff about this.

Oh, and I got a friend with a MINT (still in box) TX 9800 that I could probably get for cheap, perhaps a c note. Just hate to give up on the 9500.

All opinions welcome. When it worked, I found the 9500 to be a bit bright, but impossibly clean. Wonderful for late night jazz and classical.

Send it off to PunkerX. I believe he's about the best around here. That is who does all of Echowars tuner stuff.

I don't want to talk you out of your TX-9500 but also consider the TX-9800 especially if it's mint.

I have a TX-7800 and love it. And if the TX-9800 lives up to its billing it's worth a try --- looking at ebay biddings --- a c-note would be a score!

Pioneer TX-9800
http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/tuners.htm

In 1979 Pioneer introduced was is arguably the finest analog tuner the company has ever built. It was the TX-9800 and featured some of the best performance specifications of any tuner available on the market. It was also the most expensive tuner Pioneer had offered up to that time, with a list price of $450. Pioneer also offered the TX-9800 in 1980. While the digital tuners that came on the market in the early 1980s are all but ignored today, this model is eagerly sought out by Pioneer collectors.
Photo: hifinut1 on eBay

fmtunerinfo:
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/pioneer.html

Pioneer TX-9800 (1979, $450, photo, block diagram, schematic, alignment guide 1 2 3, ad, Audio review) search eBay
The TX-9800 has 5 gangs and 5 filters, one for the wide IF bandwidth mode and 4 for narrow, and is solidly built. The TX-9800 has exactly the same RF front end as the TX-9100 and TX-9500/TX-9500II, with differences only in the IF and audio circuit areas. From a technical standpoint, however, the TX-9800's complex crystal referenced oscillator sets it apart from those other Pioneers. According to our panelist David "A," although it has excellent bass, "the TX-9800 shows that it was cost-reduced compared to the TX-9500II. The shields for each section that are present on all TX-9100s, all TX-9500s and most TX-9500IIs (ones that I have seen, anyway) are gone in the TX-9800, and the TX-9800's parts quality is worse overall." Chuck Rippel of Audio Video Service Labs describes the TX-9800's circuit that operates the two indicators 'TUNE' and 'LOCKED': "What that circuit is looking for is a null in the discriminator offset. In all tuners, that null should also be coincident with the point of lowest distortion (established, in part, by the adjustment of the discriminator secondary). In this tuner, that circuit works correctly and it's clearly audible. Slowly tune through the station, the red 'TUNE' indicator will illuminate and the 'LOCKED' indicator will illuminate when you release the tuning control. The tuner is then at the point of least distortion. The AFC will maintain lock at that point."

Our panelist Ray, who has owned many tuners, says "When it comes to low end of the band sensitivity, the TX-9800 is my best." Ray did a DXing shootout among his TX-9800, a Kenwood KT-8300 and an Optonica ST-7405: "The TX-9800 won the pure sensitivity challenge, but not by as much as with most [over the KT-8300]. When I tested them for adjacent-channel performance, the TX-9800 and KT-8300 could both ignore the adjacent, but the ST-7405 had lots of interfering hash." The TX-9800 has a 3-gang AM section with wide and narrow bandwidth settings, so it may be a good choice for those who listen to AM radio. Pioneer's published specs for AM show selectivity of 50 dB in Narrow mode vs. 20 dB in Wide mode. On eBay, the TX-9800 can sell for almost any price depending on condition, fluctuations in demand and whether it has a wooden cabinet, but prices have been trending higher since 2005 and two garden-variety ones sold for $500 and $530 in 10/07 for no apparent reason. On the low side, two sold for $77 and $84 in 7-8/05. Mint TX-9800s can sell for $300-380, the same price range for those with the rare rack-mount tray. See how one stock TX-9800 sounded compared to other top tuners on our Shootouts page, and read David "A"'s Ricochet. Additional information on the TX-9800 is available at classic-audio.com.

I don't have any experience with your Pionneer. But I do think that the little Sony has been disctinctly over-rated in terms of sound quality, if you have good clean strong signals. However, if you have weak, or badly mutipathed signals, then this tuner is truly amazing in its ability to pull-in distant stations, and clean-up dirty signals.

Local repair guy charged me 75 bucks to RESOLDER A LEAD on my TX 9500. It was lighting up, but no sound on am or fm. It worked for all of 3 months. Took it back, 4 months later, another 30 bucks, and it worked for, oh, well, as soon as I got home, it died again. Whopped it on the side, and it came to life. Died again 2 days ago. Mint tuner, just refuses to work.

I would try the following - open up the top and bottom, and with a pencil (eraser side), poke around the board carefully. from top and bottom. From bottom, loose close and inspect for bad solder joints, or pads/components that have pulled away from the board, especially when the board is slightly flexed. If in doubt, re-solder them.

Next, look at where the boards are screwed down. In many tuners, underneath the screws (some, not all) are ground points to the frame. These are important. Corrosion or loose screws can cause bad contact, sometimes so bad that it does not work. REmove all the screws, clean board underside and frame with de-oxit and qtip, replace. If possible. Otherwise, hit the area under the board with de-oxit and replace the screw, making sure it's tight (don't strip it).

If you have a multimeter, check the DC voltages coming out of the power supply.

Last, clean the switches with de-oxit.

All opinions welcome. When it worked, I found the 9500 to be a bit bright, but impossibly clean. Wonderful for late night jazz and classical.

Do as others have suggested and systematically look for the problem. I would look for a bad connection before disturbing every connection in the unit this way you will know for sure it is fixed. I am willing to bet you have a bad switch contact or connector somewhere. As Bob noted, carefully probe using an eraser.
You really can find this problem if you are very careful inspecting connections in the unit.

Thanks Ron, Bob and goldenears and everyone.

My buddy has decided not to part with the 9800. Smart fella. My local computer repairman is an old radio station engineer and good friend, so I may ask him to do what you guys suggest. I am such a terrible solder-er and generally just make things worse, so I think I'll go that route.

And for 90 or so bucks, may have to get that sony anyway. Many of my favorite stations are pretty far away.

i sent my TX-9100 off to Punker-X; it is amazing how good it sounds! it relegated my sony HD to the HT system.

i would have it rebuilt

Yep. He did the tuner work in my SX-1250 and Glenn did everything else. I've had it for a couple years now without any problems. I believe he also does mods and upgrades if you really want something special.

My apologies, Mr. X.

I took the unit (realize, I've already poured 110 bucks in two failed repair attempts) to a friend, who pulled the bottom panel, literally pecked at the power supply feeding the fm section (dead center of the panel) and she lit up. He removed the small board, reflowed the solder leads to a transistor, and voila! She lives!

I've got a few choice words for this other guy, should I ever see him again. Jerked me around for about a year with this tuner, and he's done work for me for 20 years. Needless to say, this did it.

Thanks for the help, gents. With the MPX filter engaged, this is a really serious tuner!

I love this tuner, and do plan one day to get all the bells and whistles. My Pioneer SX-1250 just laid down, so that's gotta come first. Sounds absolutely great stock, tho. Doesn't drift a lick. It seems to have been seriously babied.

Reckon there will be any FM stations at all in 10 years, tho??:scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom