Feelings about Rebuilding Receivers

StereoAllDay

Hello guys, I'm new to this group, even though I've followed it for a couple of years.... anyway, I just got my first Sansui Receiver, a 9090 to be exact. I've mainly had Pioneers my whole life but I was looking for a new, well old, receiver and after reading 100's of reviews decided to try Sansui. I can't wait to get it. Looks to be in mint condition but it is all original but super clean inside and out. I've read so many posts about rebuilds sounding so much better and I just don't know if I should keep it as is, working great, well as far it it sounds with nothing to compare it to or have it rebuilt. Thoughts?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 93
Looks pristine. I’d say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Once you make the change, it’s changed. No going back.

Don't touch it! Take it easy when you get it don't crank it up right off the bat. Let her play and warm up real good check all of your knobs and switches to make sure they all work right and Enjoy your new Sansui! She will most likely be perfect! :beatnik: And welcome to AK Friend!

I tend to agree with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of thing, but there is also a certain validity to a recap on a piece of that age. I have had the opportunity to A/B two identical receivers--both in great shape--one recapped (no major service/rebuild/modification), and one all stock (awaiting a re-cap)--there was a significant audible difference between the two, the recapped one sounding "cleaner". IMO, replacing ageing electrolytics is not modifying anything, but more like maintenance. I wouldn't go anywhere beyond there, unless an issue surfaces.

Good Luck and enjoy your new baby!!!

Looks pristine. I’d say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Once you make the change, it’s changed. No going back.
yeah, I'm always torn between everything calibrated and new parts and the original parts that made it what it was in the first place, and of course $300 or $400 more

Don't touch it! Take it easy when you get it don't crank it up right off the bat. Let her play and warm up real good check all of your knobs and switches to make sure they all work right and Enjoy your new Sansui! She will most likely be perfect! :beatnik: And welcome to AK Friend!
Thanks...... It was just all cleaned inside too

I tend to agree with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of thing, but there is also a certain validity to a recap on a piece of that age. I have had the opportunity to A/B two identical receivers--both in great shape--one recapped (no major service/rebuild/modification), and one all stock (awaiting a re-cap)--there was a significant audible difference between the two, the recapped one sounding "cleaner". IMO, replacing ageing electrolytics is not modifying anything, but more like maintenance. I wouldn't go anywhere beyond there, unless an issue surfaces.

Good Luck and enjoy your new baby!!!
Thanks for the advise. I wish I knew of a real good stereo guy in my area

As the biggest champion of avoiding blanket recaps for no good reason, I'll offer a different opinion. At its age, there will almost certainly be something on its way out or in need of attention. Unless there isn't. What you'd really like to do is get the thing on a test bench and at least confirm that everything is up to spec. It's surprising how often a unit can be on the verge of a problem or sub-par in some area, yet you can't really tell by ear.

I'd consider a recap. Bought a used Mac 5100 amp and while playing it in the first week an old cap blew and melted the voice coil of one of my lovely JBL L-1 monitors. I looked for years for a replacement to no avail. They were sitting around for so long I gave speakers to a friend (I thought) who found a replacement immediately. Sadly I think he may he found the replacement before I gave him the speakers w/o telling me. The Mac went in for a full recap.

As the biggest champion of avoiding blanket recaps for no good reason, I'll offer a different opinion. At its age, there will almost certainly be something on its way out or in need of attention. Unless there isn't. What you'd really like to do is get the thing on a test bench and at least confirm that everything is up to spec. It's surprising how often a unit can be on the verge of a problem or sub-par in some area, yet you can't really tell by ear.
He said everything checked out when he had it cleaned at a stereo shop but that could be anything, I don't think they bench test these things as a general check.

I'd consider a recap. Bought a used Mac 5100 amp and while playing it in the first week an old cap blew and melted the voice coil of one of my lovely JBL L-1 monitors. I looked for years for a replacement to no avail. They were sitting around for so long I gave speakers to a friend (I thought) who found a replacement immediately. Sadly I think he may he found the replacement before I gave him the speakers w/o telling me. The Mac went in for a full recap.
Wow! seriously...... I didn't even know that could happen.

Wow! seriously...... I didn't even know that could happen.

Yes, indeed it can. A failing cap (especially a main power supply cap--which take the most abuse) can take out speakers, output transistors, and any other range of parts/boards downstream. Replacing a few critical caps can prevent a lot of expensive and sometimes irreparable damage.

i dont trust electrolytic caps that are over 40 years old. ive had about 15 recaps now and none of them sounded worse, some sounded the same but most of them had more punch and better detail and clarity a few were WOW moments at how much better they sounded. at least the power supply should be recapped it gets the most wear and should give the most improvement.

He said everything checked out when he had it cleaned at a stereo shop but that could be anything, I don't think they bench test these things as a general check.

This is where I want to see a receipt for the service. Turning it on, playing it on speakers and blowing the dust out (and maybe a squirt or two of DeOxit), does not count as "service" or a complete "check-out"--I want to know if it was tested/biased or anything else that was done in the "inspection".

This is where I want to see a receipt for the service. Turning it on, playing it on speakers and blowing the dust out (and maybe a squirt or two of DeOxit), does not count as "service" or a complete "check-out"--I want to know if it was tested/biased or anything else that was done in the "inspection".
agreed

Back
Top Bottom