FiiO D3

I have a FiiO D3 and use it to convert my Samsung TV's digital signal to analog for my ModWright>Krell setup. It sounds decent and I am happy with it. A solid, low-priced solution.
I use mine the same way. It doesn't get lots of use as I don't switch from the TV speakers for all my watching. Sounds good for movies and concerts.

Alan

I have one, not being used now but nice to have around! I remember it sounding totally decent when I was using it. But I have never been one to hear major differences between DAC's...I've only heard like 4 different DAC's, period...(Fiio D3, Emotiva XDA-2, Peachtree Dac-it and Dac-itX)

After some research, I believe I'm going to buy one of these little FiiO D3's for our bedroom system.

Since we don't watch much in the way of mainstream TV, we just cancelled our cable TV over the weekend and just have internet now. We also just upgraded our 720P 32" LCD smart TV to a nice new 32" LED computer monitor. Being a monitor, it has no audio outputs, so we need a way to get audio to my Sansui G-7000 receiver. We have a Roku Ultra in this system, and right now as a quick band aid, I'm using the Roku remote's headphone output plugged into the G-7000. It sounds quite decent surprisingly! Though doing this is ultimately running down the remote's batteries, and forcing us to use the Roku remote app on our iPad Mini 2. No biggie, but it's not optimal.

Just for fun, the rest of this system consists of a Yamaha T-1000U tuner (the tuner in the G-7000 needs some TLC), a Luxman PD-277 turntable and a pair of mint Genesis Physics II bookshelf speakers that I completely rebuilt and upgraded the crossovers in with all new high end components.

I would think the D3 would be an improvement to the Roku DAC just as it was to the CCA's DAC.

Congrats on cutting the cable. Get an antenna and you'll be amazed at the expanded content and picture quality of OTA.

After some research, I believe I'm going to buy one of these little FiiO D3's for our bedroom system.

Since we don't watch much in the way of mainstream TV, we just cancelled our cable TV over the weekend and just have internet now. We also just upgraded our 720P 32" LCD smart TV to a nice new 32" LED computer monitor. Being a monitor, it has no audio outputs, so we need a way to get audio to my Sansui G-7000 receiver. We have a Roku Ultra in this system, and right now as a quick band aid, I'm using the Roku remote's headphone output plugged into the G-7000. It sounds quite decent surprisingly! Though doing this is ultimately running down the remote's batteries, and forcing us to use the Roku remote app on our iPad Mini 2. No biggie, but it's not optimal.

Just for fun, the rest of this system consists of a Yamaha T-1000U tuner (the tuner in the G-7000 needs some TLC), a Luxman PD-277 turntable and a pair of mint Genesis Physics II bookshelf speakers that I completely rebuilt and upgraded the crossovers in with all new high end components.
When you get it, can you tell me how it goes? Preferably with your main desktop system as I will be buying one for my desktop, maybe, soon.. Still deciding weather or not I should buy one, it seems like a sidestep from onboard audio to me.

Depends on how close the transmitters are and if they can have an outdoor antenna. If you put it in the attic, you have already halved the distance of your reception. Any trees in the way, you have cut it even more.

Lakeland Fla is located in a fairly large metro area. But I live in the middle of a forest and with my attic antenna I still get 35 HD stations many of which are not even available on cable.

If all you need is PCM the Fio D3 Taishan punches way above it's modest cost. The version currently out is using a Cirrus chip set and sounds as good as the DAC on my Deceased Onkyo C-7030 did. I am using it on my Sony DVD player for cd play back and have no complaints at all on it's sound.
DSCI0127.JPG

I would think the D3 would be an improvement to the Roku DAC just as it was to the CCA's DAC.

Congrats on cutting the cable. Get an antenna and you'll be amazed at the expanded content and picture quality of OTA.

Not so much as an improvement as it is a way of connecting a fully digital item to a fully analog item.

We didn't care about watching cable, so wouldn't bother with HDTV either.

P1010010.JPG

The FiiO D3 and CCA are so small I mounted them on a board so they wouldn't get lost behind their amp. I switch them on and off with a power strip.

Back
Top Bottom