Filing the magazines

vinyl1

As some of you may know, for many years I lived in a small apartment in Manhattan. While I had a huge archive of audio magazines, it was totally inaccessible, stowed in various storage locations and boxes in the closet in random order.

In my new place, I have a large basement that allows me to arrange my possessions properly, including several large empty bookcases. Today I finally tackled this project, pulling out all the magazines from various boxes and putting them in date order. So now, if someone says that component X was reviewed in the March, 2004 issue of Stereophile, I can just go down and find that issue in its proper place.

I have complete runs of three magazines from the 90s: Fi, Ultimate Audio, and Listener. I've got FI and Ultimate Audio complete because I was a charter subscriber and kept receiving my issues until they went bust. Listener I didn't discover until around the tenth issue, and I diligently purchased all the back issues they had in stock. I found a few more at a classical record show in Pennsylvania, but I was still short two issues. Eventually, I ran into Art Dudley at some show and he generously gave me the two issues I was missing from his personal stash.

For the mainstream magazines, I have The Absolute Sound from issue 29, which is when I first subscribed, to the current issue. For Stereophile, I have from March of 1997 to the current issue. I know I subscribed earlier than that, and I had a fair number of the digest-sized issues from when J Gordon Hold still ran the magazine, but so far they have not turned up. They may still be around somewhere.

I also have several hundred Absolute Sound and Stereophile issues.
Related to the above, are there any cross references of magazine issues and equipment reviews- anywhere?

Not really. But if you are looking at a specific piece of older equipment, you can often find a review around the time it came out. If they reviewed it, then you can often find it in the Recommended Components in Stereophile or the Buyer's Guide in The Absolute Sound.

Back
Top Bottom