Films you've saved and will watch again when there's not much on TV.

Doghouse

I'm talking about "feel good" films you've recorded from the TV. I don't mean all the classics you may have on DVD or VHS.

My top choices are;

Lone Star.
The Rebound.
The Proposal
Moonrise Kingdom
Safe Haven
If You Believe

Christmas Films
Love at the Christmas Table
A Gift Wrapped Christmas

That's the one, I had a "thing" about Elizabeth Pena, so sad she's since died.

I also thought Pena was very attractive. I looked her up on Wiki today and learned she was dead, too bad. Anyway I think Lone Star is a very good picture; I like Sunshine State by Sayles too.

I noticed her in *batteries not included (1987) and also thought she was very nice looking. I was surprised/saddened to she was gone when I looked her up on Imdb.:(

Since I started using the DVR (two years ago) ... there's a whole library of movies that I'll get around to watching when there's nothing on TV for the night (which unfortunately is every other night). I don't keep most (on DVR) ... watch once and delete.

What's rare is me actually buying a movie (DVD or Blu Ray) anymore.

I thought it tragic that Elizabeth Pena reportedly seemed to drift into alcoholism, which ultimately contributed to her early death.

Bicentennial Man - A perfect use of Robin Williams ability to blend comedy and drama. And, having Isaac Asimov's hand in the screenplay didn't hurt either.

Just VI.

The Christmas Story-Yuletide custom
Buddy Holly Story
-happy/sad story
Magnificent Seven-inspiring results
American Graffiti-personal memories
Doctor Zhivago- all inclusive saga
Das Boot-action, realism, action

Q

Last edited:
My media server has 1200 movies on it that I have digitized over the years (I have 2 X 2tb drives in it). It also has around 30k music files, so...I'm kind of set.

Guilty feel good pleasure movies? I have every John Wayne, Elvis and about 50 of the best old Hollywood musicals. They always cheer me up no matter how corny they are.

I'm talking about "feel good" films you've recorded from the TV. I don't mean all the classics you may have on DVD or VHS.
So aside from the DVD/BluRay stuff I have ripped on the server, there isn't much left.

I did, however, used to record some TV series back in the 80s on VHS. One that sort of bubbled under in terms of recognition was a CBS late night series called "Night Heat." It starred Scott Hylands, Jeff Wincott and Allan Royal, filmed "anonymously" in Toronto (the series never mentioned the city by name). Definitely not a "feel good" series though--it was a bit more raw and gritty than typical series back in the day, since it aired after the 11pm news.

A few episodes have come up on YouTube but otherwise, it's never been released to video. Sadly my episodes are three per tape, so that means they were at the SLP speed. Not very watchable anymore.

Put me in for Christmas Story as a seasonal favorite as well! Just get's the mood 'right' for the holidays.

I like Last of the Mohicans and will also fall back on any Spaghetti Western. For some reason I especially feel the need to, every so often, pull out and watch World's Fastest Indian again.

I've watched every episode of "Cold Case." (twice). The endings have a cult following because of the music of the era used, lots of Youtube videos of them. But I've saved two full episodes, Wasp and Daniela. The ending of the latter could bring a tear to your eye.

Last edited:
I do not watch television, but I do enjoy (re)watching several films in my collection over and again, e.g., films by Cassavetes, Sayles, Van Sant, Coen Bros., Fellini, Alain Renais, Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, and Arbuckle. And of course Animal House, American Graffiti, and Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas @ least once per year.

Some movies I watch at least once a year are The Searchers, Sunset Blvd., The Godfather, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Vertigo, Ben Hur, Rio Grande, Double Indemnity, Lawrence of Arabia, Best Years of Our Lives, Things to Come, Rio Bravo, White Heat, Cleopatra, The Manchurian Candidate, Young Mr. Lincoln and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance.

DB4ED8D7-1E62-4F75-ACAE-8D30997EB0B7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom