Finally......a KR-9600. (Took a while for this beauty to come “out of the wild!”)

bd1886

Been quite a while since posting as have mostly just been enjoying rather than learning. (Been good.)
Anyways, Walked into a local bargain center and low and behold......a cosmetically choice Kenwood KR-9600 just sitting there all purdy like! Lights up, no scratches, no sound, $250.00 out the door. (It being choice cosmetically cinched paying that.)

Question: It’ll be a bit before I have time to check it out but......what are the worst pitfalls in fixing this beautiful thing? (Last Big Boy receiver for my bucket list.) Feels good!

Nice Find ! I found the 6600 a couple months ago at a Hope chest for $150.00. I talked them down to 100.00 and drove home with it. I absolutely love it ! The tuner is so great on these babies ! I have it in my garage. And spend a lot of time out there now. ;)

Congrats. I happen to think that the 9600 is gorgeous. I don't need all that power so probably will never own one. I'm new to all this but in my reading in the past week I've seen mentioned that some of the parts are unobtainable. Not sure which ones though.

Hopefully nothing serious, but the output devices are NLA and donor only. Big heavy unit. Sold em to the boys from the hills with pockets full of 'shine or agricultural money to go with the 901s they wanted to rock their valley.

Congrats. I happen to think that the 9600 is gorgeous. I don't need all that power so probably will never own one. I'm new to all this but in my reading in the past week I've seen mentioned that some of the parts are unobtainable. Not sure which ones though.

I do understand the whole thing of the wattage being used as “The Big Sell” (and have a couple lower wattage units that perform top notch....as low as 40w) but this? Kenwood did beauty so well with this one!

Have stuff, enjoyed it all....4pcs are leaving to justify the neeeeeeeed. Lol!

If the relays click you're pretty much golden (unless someone has removed one or both output modules....nahhhh)

If you get the click, make sure the pre-out/power-in jumpers are in place in the rear panel.. Also make sure the switches are set correctly on the front

If no click, cut right to the chase. Remove the bottom cover and measure DC voltage at wire wrap pin #6 on each amp board and report back (black lead to chassis ground, red lead to wire wrap pin #6)

5E05E6CA-A100-46B4-909A-164870CDF14D.jpeg Here be a pic of the beautiful creature.
(Relay clicks right on schedule....and looked at internals to find a fresh cleaning, fresh deoxiting of controls and no evidence of tampering.) Happy to find so much good and researching a source for outputs....just in case.

that looks great (and handles!). if the relays click in, you should be good.

what are the issues? No sound? speaker switch set to A, speaker wires on A, anything?

Don’t have it home yet so messing with the controls, checking offsets and inspecting the boards closely will have to wait.
Having said that? My learning skills tend to be decent but my caution is greater and once I get to a certain point.....off to a competent repair guy! (Not going to pass up the opportunity to learn more towards fixing lesser or understanding this one though.)

There is one thing that has me suspecting outputs? This Kenny came in with a whole pile of vintage gear that obviously had been intelligently cleaned and detailed with pot deoxiting. This is basically where I’m at and I bet something substantial was known by the seller.....hopefully the problem is somewhere else in the path and “IC” worries had the seller selling. (I have patience with this one.....long time coming!)

Question? Gorging on info to learn this receiver.....images show some have an orange lighting to the lower meters and some have white. Is this velum coloring the lighting and why the two variations in color?

If the relays click you're pretty much golden (unless someone has removed one or both output modules....nahhhh)

If you get the click, make sure the pre-out/power-in jumpers are in place in the rear panel.. Also make sure the switches are set correctly on the front

If no click, cut right to the chase. Remove the bottom cover and measure DC voltage at wire wrap pin #6 on each amp board and report back (black lead to chassis ground, red lead to wire wrap pin #6)

I’ll do that straight away. Thanks!

The lamps for the meters were a nice incandescent white, not a bright LED white from the factory. The more orange isn't right and neither is the white. I don't know if there is vellum in there or not.

Back
Top Bottom