Finally, a yard sale find.

2BNU

Picked up a Harman Kardon 730 and a pair of B&O M70's for $40.00 cdn. The HK is a bit dirty, but not a scratch on the front face plate. Looks like the grills on the B&O's are glued on. I dont hear any buzzing or rattling when I tested them, so Im going to wait before I start to yank them off. Unfortunately, the speakers use a DIN plug / cable for wiring.
Also found a Sheffield Lab LP for 50 cents at the local Good Will.

Wow, looks like the good scoring vibes are all over the place!! :thmbsp:

Congrats!!! :D

TP

The grills on M70s do come off -- the post and hole arrangement is really tight though, and you need to be careful because the particle board is made to be bent slightly so that there is a groove cut in it half way down and its all too easy to break the board when levering it off. You can pull the upper section out a quarter of an inch or so and then work down on one side then the other, progressively. The pair I picked up needed some tightening of screws, and the foam gasket on the back had decomposed, so that it no longer functioned as a sealed box. So I replaced the foam and while I was in, I noticed that the crossover had come loose on one side, so I hot melt glued it down. I had other problems -- one loose magnet on the phase coupler and both woofer terminals had decomposed, so there was a fair amount of work to get them up and running.
The M 70 is a 4 way, essentially a 3 way with a 'phase coupler'. The drivers are mostly or all seas and they are pretty nice speakers, if a little bland. You need DIN plugs to hook it up, though you could bypass them for banana sockets or some such.

Thanks Nat

Thank you for the info. Nat. The one grill was pulled away from the chrome strip, so I used that one as a test. I got the grill off, but it was definitely glued in place. I don't see any posts at all, so maybe someone has glued these on after working on the drivers? They are in very good shape. Interesting looking speaker with the grills off. The grills are a wedge shape, so I thought the tweets were on the thin, or flush to the cabinet end. Wrong! This is how the guy I bought them had them sitting. Makes sense, the thicker end at the bottom.
It's a nice sunny afternoon, so maybe I'll take the backs off while I enjoy a few cool ones.

Back
Top Bottom