Finally!! Found the intermittent short on my 2230B

Mike Sweeney

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So when I was working on the bottom side, I snipped off some of the old vinyl ties to work on the boards. All of sudden my sound goes completely away. I worked out that I had a short.. Somewhere.. I ended up re-soldering the selector switch, a couple of weak connections on the tuner board and generally going crazy. But today I decided to "do or die" and I found it.. underneath one of the boards, there was an orange wire that had been shoved against a standoff corner edge and over time, it abraded the jacketing. As I moved the wires, it will touch and short out all sound and then when I moved them against, it would lift and work again. I ended up cutting it in half, putting some heat shrink on and then resoldering it then putting the heat shrink over it. What a PIA. . but it's fixed :D

You can see the abraded jacketing and the guilty stand-off below it. This took some work to find.

And yes, I'm back :D I had to build a new workbench and renovate my part of the garage for the past two months

IMG_6218.jpg

BTW.. here is the new bench.. I'm still "moving in " :) The bench is way over kill for electronics but it pulls double duty for woodworking too.. hence the wheels to push it out into the drive way

IMG_6215.jpg

That’s a beautiful workbench. Did you build it from scratch? Looks like it would hold up a car!
I did build it from scratch. Took a couple of weekends. I was using a folding table for the past several months and decided it was time to upgrade :) My benches and such get used for multiple tasks. Right now its Marantz gear, next month it could be a Muncie transmission and the following it could be a redwood bench.. or any mix so it has to be beefy and relatively portable. Which is why I've the 5 inch casters on it.

Super bench. Do you have a woodworking vise on one end and some dog holes?
What you see is a wood worker bench I bought some 15 years ago. it's too small but I used it anyways. If you look at the left side of the new bench, it's cantilevered out 20 inches. That gives a lot of area for clamping and using a Maxon vise I'm making. I have not drilled the dog holes yet. Still debating on what dogs to use ( wood, brass)
This is what I'm lusting after right now ;) https://www.benchcrafted.com/moxon

What you see is a wood worker bench I bought some 15 years ago. it's too small but I used it anyways. If you look at the left side of the new bench, it's cantilevered out 20 inches. That gives a lot of area for clamping and using a Maxon vise I'm making. I have not drilled the dog holes yet. Still debating on what dogs to use ( wood, brass)
This is what I'm lusting after right now ;) https://www.benchcrafted.com/moxon

$150!

They sure are proud of a few pieces of iron!

I did build it from scratch. Took a couple of weekends. I was using a folding table for the past several months and decided it was time to upgrade :) My benches and such get used for multiple tasks. Right now its Marantz gear, next month it could be a Muncie transmission and the following it could be a redwood bench.. or any mix so it has to be beefy and relatively portable. Which is why I've the 5 inch casters on it.
Muncie transmission. Now you’re taking me back to my youth. I had a ‘69 Z28 that I bought new and street raced the wheels off of it (I was 19). That Muncie 2:20 low four speed ended up on the floor of the garage a few times to replace synchronizers. A bench like that would have been great to work on. :thumbsup:

Nice, but it must be the tariffs on steel. $149 for some common acme threaded rod and a couple cast hand wheels seems a bit steep. Bet you could buy the threaded rod for very little (and nuts) and do some really nice wooden wheels. My work bench is an embarrassment, but it works. A 2x4 frame, MDF top, some holes for dowels (my dogs) and a Record vise on the side. It doubles as a glass blowing station, vacuum pump bench and catch all for drill press related stuff as the drill is right next to it.

Fixed the 2230, big deal, this thread turned into all about that bench.

Speaking of that bench, reminds me of the one I have, got it from my great uncle. The corners on yours, what a couple boards at 90°, look like huge legs which is what my bench has. 3 pairs of 4" x 4", not a 4x4, bigger, older, when lumber was the selling size when dried. I'm sure it can hold a couple transmissions, engines and such. It is 37" deep, 100" long and 2-3/4" thick. What just 2.75" thick, yes, but it is made from 1" wide, 2.75" tall, 100" long boards glued together. I don't have wheels on it and it has not moved since it was put in the garage. Used a floor jack to lift one end to move it into position. The top has a metal plate identifying the manufacturer, it was a piano company. Yours seems much more versatile.

Nice job on that receiver. Always good to get one back healthy again. The 1030 I had was missing a channel, very low volume. Nothing worked until I started the recap and while unsoldering the first leg of a cap, it pulled off the board. Corroded second leg, most probably the problem. Worked fine post recap.

Last edited:
Muncie transmission. Now you’re taking me back to my youth. I had a ‘69 Z28 that I bought new and street raced the wheels off of it (I was 19). That Muncie 2:20 low four speed ended up on the floor of the garage a few times to replace synchronizers. A bench like that would have been great to work on.
I had an M22 after I blew out my BorgWarner in my over powered small block Vega. The M22 had to be rebuilt a few times to replace the sliders, forks, syncs and main input shaft. I had an old, old, old dude show me the trick of taking the shaft nose down and bouncing it off a 1/2 plate of steel. Why? because the damn bearing just falls off and you don't need a press. Slick trick.

I've added a small 24 inch TV :) and have run into my 1030 I bought to flip and decided to keep instead. I also run a leftover iPhone through it. And I have an Amazon Echo on the bench in a corner so I can be "hands free" when asking for music :D

Back
Top Bottom