Finally scored a 780...

B3Nut

tubes and spinny things!
...tho still watching other ones :D

this one

Prolly paid a bit too much, but last ones I've tried to nab got bid over $100, so when I saw one with a buy-it-now I said what the heck.

Looks a bit dusty inside, but I'll clean 'er out stem to stern when she gets here.

TP

$75 bin is as cheep as chips mate..WELL DONE wish I could get them that cheep. $75.00 is about £48.00 my 950 cost me £175
But it does have the curly walnut case and in as new condition...

Last edited:
I would say you got a pretty good deal there. The 80 series have always brought more dough then any other in the pioneer lineup. For a while 780's were going for a buck and a half. Congrats and enjoy.

Grumpy

I'll probably chase down another one as well...I like that model, nice mix of price and features. I'd eventually like to get a couple higher-end 80 series pieces...a 980 and 1280 would be cool. I'd *really* love to own a 1980 (who wouldn't!) but unless I bump into the rare private seller without a clue as to what he has, an SX-1980 ain't gonna happen, especially with *broken* ones fetching 5 bills on the 'bay.

I used to droll over the 80 series as a kid, was 8 when those came out. I wanted a receiver like that, though my SX-450 was perfectly adequate for my needs (little did I know I'd still be using and talking about it in 2003!) I thought the power meters were way cool, I had a thing for meters back then, having been fascinated since probably 3 with the VU meters on my grandfather's Sony TC-630 tape machine, which he still has and keeps in working condition. He got the '630 new in '69, incidentally...

TP, who has the vintage bug bad, and fears that it is incurable, just like HAS/LAS (Hammond/Leslie Acquisition Syndrome) is incurable. At least an SX-780 is way cheaper and easier to ship than a B-3 :D

Back
Top Bottom