Finally... Some Cornwalls

avguytx

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
It took awhile to find some in Arkansas before the usual person in the state buys everything and then lists it on eprey and CL but I did. A nice pair of '78 oiled walnut from the original owner. These will work nicely in the living room on my, soon to be done, VTA ST-70. One of these days some Belle's will come along.

Yes, they will fit into (my daughters) a Jeep Compass.

20170218_114438_zpsx2r560v4.jpg

20170218_141922_zpsqz4chbvn.jpg

20170218_135424_zpsnw08rbag.jpg

20170218_135437_zpsppw9gy42.jpg

Very nice. Make sure to use good tubes in the VTA ST-70. Listening to my Quartets with my Dynakit ST-70 right now with a matched quad of the EH 6ca7 fat bottle tubes, great combo... I also use the original 7199 driver board with NOS Sylvania's and it works well. Enjoy and let us know how it all comes together. Cornies are on my bucket list but won't fit in my Volvo.

Right now, they sound pretty flat and uneventful. Hoping that changing the caps and going from the B crossover to the B2 will help that. My CF-3's sound better in comparison in the same setup. But the Cornwall's do have almost 40 year old caps and drivers.

I'll be using Sovtek 6550 tubes to start out. I'm not sure with my hearing, and tinnitus, I could hear major differences in tubes. But looking forward to it being done.

nice find. give them some good play time. if they have not been in service for some period of time they will have stiffened up and it will be like playing new speakers. play them long and loud and see how they respond. I bet they come around for you. they look great. moray james.

The original owner had been playing them before I bought them. New caps should be in today and will rebuild crossover this weekend, hopefully. I'm going to hook my Carver M-1.0t (460x2) up to them, too. That should wake them up versus the Stromberg Carlson amp. We'll see.

New Crites CT-120's ordered today along with some new K-55 gaskets. Maybe that will help the top end out. They sound better after updating to the B-2 networks but they are still dull on the top end and in overall SQ, my Epic CF-3's sound better still. But they are a different beast, speaker wise. Even low end sounds better on CF-3's...just overall balance. (Roy did real good on those Epics)

My VTA ST-70 will be done soon so I'm anxious to hear the difference.

I've owned three pair of Cornwall's and never considered them dull even with original capacitors. I own CF-3's also, two different animals. The CF-3 Tractix horn is very good, and bass will rattle the windows. I have Crites tweeters in my current Cornwall's, paired with my Fisher tube gear, they are hard to top.

Oh, they were definitely dull and lifeless. Even my wife, who could care less, said they sounded worse than the others (CF-3's). After changing over the networks to B-2's from B's, that helped a lot. Then installing the new tweeters took it up even more notches. Then, topping it off, adding the VTA ST-70 was the icing on the cake. It's sounds best on the 8 ohm taps versus 4.

Definitely a different presentation in sound from both speakers in comparison.

Oh, they were definitely dull and lifeless. Even my wife, who could care less, said they sounded worse than the others (CF-3's). After changing over the networks to B-2's from B's, that helped a lot. Then installing the new tweeters took it up even more notches. Then, topping it off, adding the VTA ST-70 was the icing on the cake. It's sounds best on the 8 ohm taps versus 4.

Definitely a different presentation in sound from both speakers in comparison.
I just hooked my newly acquired Fisher X-202 to my Cornwall's, I honestly do not think I have ever heard better sound, so detailed and open sounding.

20170304_133217.jpg 20170304_133916.jpg

What year are your Cornwalls? Mine were missing emblems and I'm wanting to keep an eye out for originals. Or I might just use the new ones I have and make them look like Cornwall 3's.

What year are your Cornwalls? Mine were missing emblems and I'm wanting to keep an eye out for originals. Or I might just use the new ones I have and make them look like Cornwall 3's.
Mine are date coded 1980.

Do you have a picture of what yours look like or can you describe them? I guess it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme but...

Back
Top Bottom