First headphones.

rxonmymind

Well, making a list for Christmas and looking for advice form some veterans here. I've never owned a "real" pair of headphones and my budget is $400 ish.
So far I'm smitten with the Master & Dynamic mh40 also the mw60's. Couple things that concerns me is these are really "Apple" product but with the wire provided they'll play in anything. What's impressed me is their build quality and supposed warm sound. I'm all for that. I don't like a bright sound or exaggerated bass like Beats.
But I'm also open to other brands that you might recommend. The Sennheiser 600 were in the running but at 300 ohm they won't play on a phone which is a big part of my music be it going on walks or exercising. I don't stream flac or anything just Google play.
Any help is appreciated.

If you're going to be listening primarily to audio off a phone, I wouldn't worry too much. You could probably cut your budget in half and not tell the difference. Blunt, I know - no intention to hurt your feelings, but don't overspend for a mid-fi experience.

The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s would be toward the top of my list.

Newegg has recertified ones for $110 or $120. I had a pair that I sold for $150 used. Those are very nice headphones for $120-ish.

I opted for a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550 that were "New" open box locally for sale off CL at $180. Sticker and everything were inside. Talk about lucky. So far so good. Couple things that brought these to the top of my list during my research.

If your like me I prefer the wired option which this has. Also the ability to pair it to two devices was a winner in my book for my wife who has an Apple 7(?) w/o the plug in headphone jack. Then my daughter can use them for the TV in our loft while I listen to music down below. It'll be a busy pair of headphones.
A brief listen and I'll say they are pretty good. Having a Sennheiser app called "Captunes" available for both my wife's Apple and my Android allowed us to dial in the music to our liking.
With it's extremely long BT run time of 30 hours it's an amazing headphones for it's versatility and comfort. I think I made a good choice.
I also like the idea of being able to physically turn off the active noise cancelling feature which isn't available on the Bose qc35 but is available on the qc35ii. But at this price point I'm very happy with the purchase.
I'll get a "real" audiophile headphone maybe next year.

Just tried it while using the ultra high powered leaf blower. It went from a howling scream to the lowest cool setting on a blow drier. VERY impressive. I'd say it cut the noise down by 90%.

Went for a my morning walk while it was still a cool 58°. It was shorts and t-shirts kinda walk but keep in mind my body runs on the warmer side of neutral. Once I get going I have no need for sweats or cover. Having said that my ears were a tiny bit warm inside the ear cups but we're quickly out weighed by the musicality of the headphones. No ear fatigue after an hour and a half walk. Sweet!

The ultimate cherry on top was the convenience of using the ear pads to swipe to the next/repeat song or adjust the volume instantly as some songs are louder than others. Much better than having to reach into my pocket and grab my phone and fiddle with those adjustments.

I did find that while wired certain features didn't work on the ear touch pad such as forwarding or going backwards on tracks. Pause button did. Weird.

Also there was the occasional "blow in your ear" effect from the wind going over the headphones which doesn't happen with in ear types. It was temporary but still there.

As I sit listening to my Bell's with Ed Sheeran song "What do I know" I'm reminded nothing comes close to full range speakers. While the headphones are a welcome compliment to my workout schedule I'll take these Klipsch any day of the week without headphones.

But what do I know..

Sounds like you found something that hit all the bases. The new phones will also give you a basis for comparison when you get "upgrade-itis" and believe me, you'll probably catch it at some point. Enjoy the tunes!
Merry Christmas (if applicable)

Sounds like you found something that hit all the bases. The new phones will also give you a basis for comparison when you get "upgrade-itis" and believe me, you'll probably catch it at some point. Enjoy the tunes!
Merry Christmas (if applicable)

Thanks. I gently dropped a hint that I'd like in house headphones one day. I tried to relate to her in saying it's kinda like shoes I told her. Having different ones for separate occasions is necessary and a critical accessory to audio gear. Hey, if you HAVE to lay on the B.S. make it thick. :D
May you have a great Christmas too.

ATH-M50. I haven’t heard the ATH-M50x (current model) so cant comment on those but for the price and easy drivability, these are a no brainer. They’ve been making these for decades bc it’s reviewed so well. It’s hard to do better for less than $500. Get a portable headphone DAC and skip the amp. Amp does improve the bass punch a bit and widen the soundstage but nothing as dramatic as a DAC, at least I’ve found.

And for audiophile class headphones, many recommend Sennheiser HD 650 as a good entry level pair. I've never heard them myself but it's what you always hear people saying. Personally, I'd rather spend the $300 on a gorgeous vintage loudspeaker.

And for audiophile class headphones, many recommend Sennheiser HD 650 as a good entry level pair. I've never heard them myself but it's what you always hear people saying. Personally, I'd rather spend the $300 on a gorgeous vintage loudspeaker.

Yes, I've read good reviews on them too. Just keep in mind that any model starting with the 6's are 300 ohm(I sound smart eh? Just started researching this stuff:deal::D) and will require an amplifier. It'll "work" on phones but I guess there isn't enough power to really drive them or listening levels would be ridiculously low.
I agree as I sit here listening to my Klipsch Bell's I'm in bliss I'll take headphone free any day. But for my morning walks it's awesome.
Oh, another thing I found that was very good. Was the range if these. I set my phone down in the kitchen after my walk and went back to the laundry room to get something. That's about twenty five feet, around two corners and walls in between and it didn't drop a signal at all. Niiiice.

Just bought my first quality in-earphones.
Never heard of the company but being based
in San Diego thought I'd give my neighbor down south a try.
What I've learned in researching earphones is the difference in quality as you move up from $10>$100 pair. Namely it's the amount of drivers that are involved creating the earphones. Cheap ones use one driver for highs, mids and bass and cheap magnets. Quality ones use a driver for each audio spectrum and in theory sounds better with the accompanying crossover network to drive them.
This company claims they used an audio engineer to balance these which I'm grateful for. Now I know what you're thinking. If the source is an mp3 or cell phone then it shouldn't matter. To me coming from $14 headphones I *think* it will make a difference and past this price point it's a law of diminishing returns due to source and surroundings. I mean if you're in a subway, crowded public transportation type environment makes little sense to get $1000 earphones. For my morning walk I think these will do. I also added foam ear pads as I've read they seal better giving better sound and comfort.
Excited. imageService.jpeg

The 1More Triple Drivers?

They are pretty dang nice. My favorite on-ear that I've owned.

There's a set of Xiaomis that are very similar at a lower price point. Not quite as refined and natural in the mids and highs and they don't hold up to quite to volume and they don't have the braided cable, but extremely similar for less than half the price.

The 1More Triple Drivers?

They are pretty dang nice. My favorite on-ear that I've owned.

There's a set of Xiaomis that are very similar at a lower price point. Not quite as refined and natural in the mids and highs and they don't hold up to quite to volume and they don't have the braided cable, but extremely similar for less than half the price.

Appreciate the insight. We shall see how close these in-earphones come to my Sennheisers. Not comparable from a price point but just need something in the same ball park.
I'm pretty easy on everything I own so hopefully these last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom