First impression of my new AT110E

beatcomber

AK Member
Thanks to Stanton681EEES' suggestion, I just received my Audio Technica AT110E from www.turntableneedles.com, who has it on sale for $49.95.

I am VERY impressed! I did a quick A-B comparison with my (broken in) AT440MLa, and the tonality and output of the two carts was VERY similar! The AT110E sounds terrific, especially considering how cheap it is!

I subjected it to my usual tracking test subject - a mid '80s (analog-mastered) UK Parlophone "A Hard Day's Night" LP. With most carts I've tried, this album has a lot of sibilence on "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You" and the last song on side 1, "Can't By Me Love," sounds distorted. The AT440MLa is able to track both songs beautifully. With the AT110E, it was able to track "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You" with no problem, but "Can't Buy Me Love" still gave it some trouble. Oh well, for $50 I won't complain, most records aren't as difficult to track as this LP. Nevertheless, the album sounded punchy and detailed, unlike the somewhat grainy, dull Grado ZC+ (=Green) that I had been using on my basement stereo (on a '79 Technics first gen SL-1200).

Bottom line, if you want a lively, detailed cart and can't afford an AT440MLa, the AT110E will get you pretty close to the AT440MLa for short $$.

Thank you for that thoughtful review! Yes, every now and then John gets one right. :D

Pretty amazing considering it's only a .4 x .7 stylus. A while back someone posted an article from an old audio magazine in which they tested a bunch of budget cartridges. The AT110E won and beat out some considerable competition. It never fails to impress.

Try tracking it at 2 grams till it breaks in, as with mine I've never had problems tracking that song on any of my copies of HDN and I have many.

I'll try that! Thanks again for the tip on the AT110E sale. :thmbsp:

When I got my first stylus for mine as the cartridge was used, I tracked it at about 1.8 to 1.9 the the other day i moved it to 1.65 and it sounds really good. That would be one of my desert Island cartridges. just sounds rite to my 54 year old bass playing ears. lol.:yes:
I'll try and find the link I have for a nice review of the cartridge.

That's the cart that made my realize my shure stylus was worn out , a real bargin and found it to be pretty quiet in the groove also .Can't go wrong with it . It is a bit on the heavy side so doesn't work in lo-mass arms I think , my philips table had the counter weight at the very end to balance it .

I really enjoy the 110 also, great cart! I tend to lean towards the 110 and the 120 over the 440, which is just a tad to harsh to my ears, but I have only heard the ML and not the MLa so the MLa may sound like a better 120 who knows. Anyhow have fun with your great new cart, Nick

I really enjoy the 110 also, great cart! I tend to lean towards the 110 and the 120 over the 440, which is just a tad to harsh to my ears, but I have only heard the ML and not the MLa so the MLa may sound like a better 120 who knows. Anyhow have fun with your great new cart, Nick

I've been doing some more listening to the 110 in the basement, and so far I am VERY pleased. After it gets broken in, I look forward to doing some more testing vs. the AT440MLa.

Audio Technica sure makes some great, highly affordable cartridges.

AT110E SAME as AT71E???? ROUGHLY...

I dont't know if its my ears but my new at71e seems to really "handle" the mids and hi's extremely well?? for such a cheap cartridge. My Shure 91,95, and new 44G DO NOT seem to handle the trebel sounds as well, is this a trait of each cartridge? Back to the AT110e,AT71e are these the same one newer one older?? Best regards dave

I'm using the at120e and for the price I paid I'm really pleased. I'm using it with a incognito rewired rega rb-250 and a rega deck.

I dont't know if its my ears but my new at71e seems to really "handle" the mids and hi's extremely well?? for such a cheap cartridge. My Shure 91,95, and new 44G DO NOT seem to handle the trebel sounds as well, is this a trait of each cartridge? Back to the AT110e,AT71e are these the same one newer one older?? Best regards dave
The AT110E and AT71E are two completely different models. I believe the AT71E is older, but both are still available new. The AT71E requires higher tracking force. I agree that it is a decent cartridge.

Different cartridges sound different to different ears. Other factors to consider are the age and condition of the stylus, whether it is an original or aftermarket, and whether you are using the recommended tracking force. The M44G has a conical stylus and is not as refined a cartridge as the others. If the others are the M91ED and M95ED, those are well respected cartridges with nude .2 x .7 styli. I find their reproduction of if the entire spectrum to be very good.

i'm not sure if they've 'tinkered' with the cantilever's 'compliance' over the long lifespan of this lovely little budget cartridge but back in the day the optimum tracking range used to be specified as between 1.0 - 2.0gm with the sweet spot somewhere between the 1.6 - 1.8 mark depending on the mass of your tonearm..

i really love the little at110e...if you are on a tight budget but have a decent turntable and arm in good working order...it can create a quite convincing illusion of music being performed within an acoustic space...

[from memory...] after about 10 - 20 hours break-in...and mounted in a rotel rp-855 turntable..i found myself getting the sweetest sound from this cartridge around the 1.7 - 1.75gm mark...give 'billie jean- michael jackson' a spin and listen to the ambient echoes that accompany the driving introductory percussion...and it should put a huge grin on your face...it did mine :D

I have owned quite a few AT cartridges and honestly, I have yet to hear a bad one! Some are obviously better that others, but overall they are fine cartridges IMO...

The AT110E is obsolete (no longer made) and has been replaced by the AT95E and is actually $5 less at Turntable Needles .com.Also those are not sale prices.

I have no idea how it sounds compared to the AT110E.

AT95E is $40 (free shipping) on Ebay.

I own both the AT95E and AT110E, though I only used the AT110E for a minute to test it out (old stylus).

I believe the AT110E uses a higher compliance stylus than the AT95E.

If I understand correctly a higher compliance stylus uses lighter vertical tracking force/downward weight and needs a certain tonearm mass to work well but I don't know whether high compliance needs a higher or lower tonearm mass?

Also I think high compliance = more flexible suspension, low compliance = stiffer suspension?

Back
Top Bottom