First listen Marantz CD6006

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
The Marantz CD6006 came yesterday. Got it hooked up and from the get go I knew that it was a quite a few steps above the Pioneer DV588-A which will be restricted to SACD, ADVD duty now. There's a lot more detail. I used only the analog hook up. Listened to my choice for reference CD duty Dire Straits On Every Street. Vocals were more forward excellent sound stage and the sustain on the floor toms that wasn't there is present and lovely to hear. I think it's better than the ADVD playback on the Pioneer. It matches the Outlaw RR2160 well. One thing I've found is I like the headphone section on the Outlaw better than the Marantz and from the reviews of the Marantz I didn't expect that. Listening to Ricky Lee Jones. Evaluation is over now time to listen. I'll post more on features as I use them.

40536832611_966a16cfc5_b.jpg

Just turned off digital outputs. Thanks for the info. It's late I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

Just turned off digital outputs. Thanks for the info. It's late I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

For my money, this CD player is the best you can buy for the price, it even matches or betters a few more expensive players. Marantz sure built a winner in this nice, musical sounding CD player. I have heard this player in a few systems, I like it.

I did some AB with optical and analog. The Marantz has a better DAC than the outlaw
Nice to know for yourself, isn't it?. I think many folks' first instinct seems to be to use the digital output of their player into some other unit's DAC. That's not always the best sound.

I didn't think my CD 5001 was all that hot, but several generations later of the next model up I can believe would be. Marantz seems to incorporate what they learn in their reference pieces on down the line over time.

It has an option on dimming that will turn off the display shortly after a song starts. You get a quick look at the track number then off. It sounds so much better than the Pioneer and I didn't play it much before turning off the display and optical out that I can't really tell a difference. It's also a very quiet player which is quite a change from the old one.

I didn't think my CD 5001 was all that hot, but several generations later of the next model up I can believe would be. Marantz seems to incorporate what they learn in their reference pieces on down the line over time.

I've been enjoying a Marantz CD 5005 since last fall and to my ears it sounds great. My go-to reference CDs are very musical and have the depth and imaging that my old CD player had prior to it's laser giving out. That and the CD 5005 was $100 less than the CD 6006 that I was strongly considering. In researching replacement CD players numerous reviews all mentioned how Marantz kept improving sound quality with each new version of player that came out.

I've been enjoying a Marantz CD 5005 since last fall and to my ears it sounds great. My go-to reference CDs are very musical and have the depth and imaging that my old CD player had prior to it's laser giving out. That and the CD 5005 was $100 less than the CD 6006 that I was strongly considering. In researching replacement CD players numerous reviews all mentioned how Marantz kept improving sound quality with each new version of player that came out.
Cool! Kind of what I was figuring, and good to hear.

Welcome to AK!

I bought mine from Safe & Sound. It was a return and dealer recertified unit at a $120 discount. Looks brand new functions just as it should I registered it with no problems and they have a 30 day return policy. The price was what I wanted to pay 500 kind of put me off

Last edited:
I had the 6006 for a little less than a month now and it's pretty damn wonderful. The separation of instruments the clarity and the sound stage all make a very pleasant experience. Depeche Mode's Delta Machine has some tracks that sound good on the DV-588 that sound stunning on the 6006. Big step forward and a very satisfying audio purchase.

Over a month and it's smoothed out. The percussion on Look into the Eyeball was better than I've ever heard and the rest followed suit.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I have one of these arriving tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. It will go in a living room system and get used pretty often.

I know this is an older thread, but since I have been enjoying my CD6006 purchased this last summer, I thought I'd chime in.

I used to have a highly modified NAD c521i that I really enjoyed. But I wanted to bump up to 24-bit to enjoy my Audio Wave Blue Note XRCD24 discs, and have been really pleased with the improvement. The difference isn't big, but when you pay attention to those subtle improvements, it's worth the change. I also liked the idea of being able to play music off my phone in the rare instance I don't have the album on vinyl or cd. I grew tired of that after the first week, but still, it's nice to have. Also, the headphone gain control is nice if you use headphones, and have several that might benefit from the output impedance options.

For those looking for a good transport, you can bypass the DAC.

Back
Top Bottom