First reflection panels steady my stereo image!

chef free

I have my stereo set up in my 19'x22' garage.

I have a rug with two layers of padding underneath, a 6'x6' panel on the ceiling with 6" of pink fiberglass in it, there are 2" thick 2'x4' Auralux panels at the first reflection points on the side walls, sound diffusers across the wall behind the listening chair and floor to ceiling bass traps in the corners behind the speakers.

And it sounds pretty good, but... I had never put any sound treatments behind the speakers because they have rear tweeters and a rear ported mid bass tube; I had been told not to treat the wall behind dipole speakers.

As time has gone by, I found that I liked the sound of the speakers better with the rear tweeters off, it seems to make the center image "tighter". So I decided to make a pair of panels to put behind the speakers. They are made of 2" thick Auralux covered with cloth, 6' tall by 2' wide and free standing. They are about 16" off the wall, the speakers are about 44" off the wall.

As soon as I set them up behind my speakers, I could tell a big difference! The weird phasey effects of the sound changing as I moved my head around WAS GONE! This has been bugging since I first got these speakers, I assumed that it was because the speakers have 17 drivers each but NO, it was room reflections all along!

So it bears repeating: "Room treatments are critical to getting the best out of your gear!"

My room is BEGGING me for treatments. I just don't have the cash to buy them put together or DIY at this time, sucks but it is what it is. My room is damn small for my speakers too so I have bass cancellation on top of a stereo image that shifts to the left...hard.

It can be done "on-the-cheap". My bass traps are sleeping bags stuffed into the corners of the shelving, I got them for $6 each on End-of-Summer sale at a sporting goods store.

It can be done "on-the-cheap". My bass traps are sleeping bags stuffed into the corners of the shelving, I got them for $6 each on End-of-Summer sale at a sporting goods store.

I have been apprehensive to just throw something in there like that. I know that certain frequencies are absorbed by different thickness and types of materials. I don't want to inadvertently soak up any treble or mid-range. I know corners are going to be my first section to help with the bass reflections however my right side wall is an outside wall in my listening room. The difference in building materials between an inside and outside wall is what I assumed to be the factor in my off centered image. So much research needing to be done on my end. I want to do it right the first time, have had too much money lost by just throwing something together.

I have been apprehensive to just throw something in there like that. I know that certain frequencies are absorbed by different thickness and types of materials. I don't want to inadvertently soak up any treble or mid-range. I know corners are going to be my first section to help with the bass reflections however my right side wall is an outside wall in my listening room. The difference in building materials between an inside and outside wall is what I assumed to be the factor in my off centered image. So much research needing to be done on my end. I want to do it right the first time, have had too much money lost by just throwing something together.

I have the same trouble, one wall is studs and sheetrock, the other is sheetrock over plywood over a lower half made of concrete. That side always sounds a little louder, I just turn one amp down a bit.

What speakers do you have with 17 drivers each?

My lovingly restored, rosewood, Infinity QLS-1.

Cool. I have my gear set up in my living room. One wall is a big set of windows and the opposite wall is framed prints. I'm sure sound is bouncing all over the place. I'd love to get sound treatment in place, but it's probably not going to happen. WAF is a no-go.

'm hoping to remodel my basement and move down there in the next year.

I've mentioned room treatments in the living room to my wife, but I just get "The Look".

I have my stereo set up in my 19'x22' garage.

I have a rug with two layers of padding underneath, a 6'x6' panel on the ceiling with 6" of pink fiberglass in it, there are 2" thick 2'x4' Auralux panels at the first reflection points on the side walls, sound diffusers across the wall behind the listening chair and floor to ceiling bass traps in the corners behind the speakers.

And it sounds pretty good, but... I had never put any sound treatments behind the speakers because they have rear tweeters and a rear ported mid bass tube; I had been told not to treat the wall behind dipole speakers.

As time has gone by, I found that I liked the sound of the speakers better with the rear tweeters off, it seems to make the center image "tighter". So I decided to make a pair of panels to put behind the speakers. They are made of 2" thick Auralux covered with cloth, 6' tall by 2' wide and free standing. They are about 16" off the wall, the speakers are about 44" off the wall.

As soon as I set them up behind my speakers, I could tell a big difference! The weird phasey effects of the sound changing as I moved my head around WAS GONE! This has been bugging since I first got these speakers, I assumed that it was because the speakers have 17 drivers each but NO, it was room reflections all along!

So it bears repeating: "Room treatments are critical to getting the best out of your gear!"
Pictures please!

Pictures please!

OK

Here are the back wall sound diffusers. 4,3,2,and 1 inch plastic pipe cut longways and mounted to the wall, door and roll-up.
DSCF6236.JPG

Here are the left side wall and front wall absorption panels, 2" of Auralux wrapped in tie dyed cloth.

DSCF6238.JPG

Right side, I have to clean up the room today...

DSCF6239.JPG

6' x 6' ceiling panel filled with unbacked R-13 fiberglass.
DSCF6240.JPG

The corners are full of sleeping bags...
DSCF6241.JPG

DSCF6242.JPG
DSCF6243.JPG

View from the "listening couch", notice the 1' panels one the ceiling to cut down echoes...
DSCF6244.JPG

That's already well and done but my Wife and myself really would never accept this ever butttttttt in a Garage who knows:)

Back
Top Bottom