First time buying Klipsch heritage - La Scala

Wertz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just picked up my first ever Klipsch heritage speakers! Found an excellent pair of original La Scala. In great shape overall, just needing some cleaning inside and out. The raw birch is interesting and unique. I plan on leaving the unfinished wood as-is, since it adds character. I am rebuilding a Fisher 800c to pair with these. I somehow ended up owning 4 tube receivers that aren't finished yet, so a buddy brought over his Mcintosh 2505 and it sounded great! I will have to move stuff around to find a good spot for them, but oh well.

I have no idea if recapping the crossovers will result in a change I can hear, but that is next on the list. I'd rather not have a large oil can leak after using speakers that have been dormant for over a decade. Ordering some Audiocap PPT Theta's for the 2uf units and combining some cheaper Daytons to make up a 13uf (probably 6.2 and 6.8uf).

Congrats on the LaScalas, you'll love em. I have mine hooked up to a 800C as well, they sound great to my old ears! AL

Congrats! They are excellent speakers and the crossover upgrade does help if you have the older AL type crossover. Mine were not leaking but they were old and the change improved clarity to my ears. Have mine connected to MC30s, love them!

Keep those old caps.
I did a cap "upgrade" (crites) on my Cornwalls. I had listened to them for about 2 months before doing this. I changed them back to original after a month.
But I also did a crites cap job on my Fortes, and I liked them better after the new caps... swings both ways... you know individual opinion and all.

Keep those old caps.
I did a cap "upgrade" (crites) on my Cornwalls. I had listened to them for about 2 months before doing this. I changed them back to original after a month.
But I also did a crites cap job on my Fortes, and I liked them better after the new caps... swings both ways... you know individual opinion and all.

Yep, I saved the old caps and screws. I cut the leads so as not to cause any solder-heat damage either. The new caps are all 5-star rated on parts express. I will give them 10-20 hours of break in time and then see how I feel about them.

The natural birch is just gorgeous! First pair I've seen that aren't black so a breath of fresh air for me. Very nice Werk Wertz!__:D

I'd suggest sanding with increasingly fine sandpaper 'til it feels like glass, then clear-coat if you like the raw birch but want to protect it.

Happy for you !

I started with Heresy and jumped to the La Scala - man, I miss them at times. Just sold off a pair of refinished jet black Belles. They are a tricky speaker to place and power is critical - with the right amp and room, they can really sing. I am a classic rock guy and I have had difficulty getting the Heritage line to settle down in the midrange; but the day I sold them, we put on some blues/jazz and funk, nothing ever sounded better. I swear those Belle's were possessed! We ran an NOS loaded Dynaco ST-70 rebuild and they voiced perfectly. I had goosebumps - maybe it was the Mullards? I'm betting an 800c will be a great match. At any rate, I will be taking on a set of La Scala's in a few weeks for a full refinish. I will pull the crossovers and either rebuild or go with Crites. Rewire and order smoked glass tops. I bought beveled smoked glass tops for both my La Scala's and Belle's. It makes them look elegant while keeping the finish in tact. People always want to set stuff on them.

I like the lighter birch but agree you need to get some sort of finish on them for protection. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy !!!

P1070061.JPG

Its true a Belle has a special sound which i contribute to the Shorter midrange horn vs the larger horn for the La Scala. The only problem with both speakers is they lack an octave to octave and a half on the bottom. Thats why I prefer Cornwalls. I want to hear the new Forte III some day.

Congrats! Hope you like the sound. While I ha e the Bell's I find that there is a definite sweet spot to the Klipsch horns volume wise. Incredible non fatiguing speakers.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom