Fisher 500B made in 1965.....

Interesting that they were still selling the 500B at this late date. Wonder if it was the same with the 800B?

True!
Our thinking today is that a company just wouldn't produce an old and new revision of a product concurrently for several years but I believe
the thinking was just very different then versus today. I know it is!

I was watching the Lone Ranger and Mr. Ed on black and white TV when Fisher was making these.....
Jef

While I was watching Hop-A Long Cassidy, My Mother the Car, Rat Patrol, and Disney's Wonderful World of Color every Sunday Night in Black and White.

My 500B also looks to be from 1965. Coil shields bear 65 codes. The OT codes are: 9262405. The PT code is: 9264418. I don't know how to interpret them apart from 926 being the manufacturer.

IMG-4976.JPG IMG-4975.JPG
Reb; Trannies are 1964 30th week, Can cap looks like 1966 40th week. The insulated can is 1966 50th week. looks to me like FISHER did a limited run with parts from similar units or left over stock. Usually I've found that normal stock will only have a disparity in dates of a month or two, not two years between all the dated parts.

Tims are date coded differently. If you take the numbers and use the 1st number as the year and the 2nd and 3rd combined for the week it doesn't make sense. However if you take the 1st pair as the week and the 2nd pair as the year, it makes sense. ie; 9262864(OT#1) is Todd Electric 28th week of 1964 9262963(OT#2) is Todd Electric 29th week of 1963 and 9262862(PT) is Todd electric 28th week of 1962. I suspect that his unit also had a serial number rubber stamped rather than punch stamped.

Fisher was going thru the transistion from ALL Tube to Solid State from 1964 to 1967 and it is quite possible that they made a limited run to clear inventory.

Sorry to jump into this thread a little late, but were early Fisher 500Bs coded differently? My transformers have one less digit so the above logic wouldn't work. My transformers are coded 926140. The serial number for the unit is 11581B.

Last edited:
ksebaski

Some earlier 500B's have the output tubes and output transformers locations reversed such that the 7591s are inboard. Do you have one of these?

ksebaski

Some earlier 500B's have the output tubes and output transformers locations reversed such that the 7591s are inboard. Do you have one of these?

It does - here's a photo with the receiver out of the cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_3695.JPG
    IMG_3695.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 27
Nice - there was one of this series on eBay I considered buying recently, but I'm slightly overloaded by Fishers right now. The 800B seems to have made the same OPT move around the same time,

926 is the Manufacturer in this case Todd Electric in Yonkers. 140 is 1961 40th week.

Late Aug or Early Sept for the Transformer manufacture. Figure a 3 weeks to a month in the logistics pipeline to get from Todd to Fisher's Long Island City plant, and then to the line. I'd say probably Early to Mid October construction of the 500b and depending on wherein the country it was shipped to, 2-3 months at MAX for Retail sale. Mid Dec.1961 to Mid Feb62 for Retail sale. Remember Model year was September to August. So the 1962 Model year is Sept 1961 to Aug. '62.

I've got one of the Earliest 800c's made with a serial of 10362 or so in it's '63 Executive Console. Numbers Matching. We figured out that it was built in sometime in the spring of '62. But wasn't sold to the 1st customer until Spring of 1966. Buglegirl has or had the original Sales Slip.

We should try to get the seller of TA-800 10001 on ebay right now to give us some transformer codes.

. . . or it saw service in the field early in its life using later dated parts.

This equipment did sometimes malfunction or require service, even in the 1960s and 70s.

Believe me, the service benches were pretty busy back then.

Back
Top Bottom