Fisher 550T rebuild cap question

Aberbs1

I'm pretty much done rebuilding this one, but have a quick question regarding a couple of odd looking 1uf caps (c802) on the driver boards. They are the TINY silver axial ones in pics below. Has anyone seen or had trouble with these before?

Looking at the schematic shows that they are in the direct signal path (in series with a 5.6k resistor). I know i should have just replaced them when I had the boards out, but they measured ok so I left them.

FWIW, this amp sounds amazing. Looking at the internals, it's obvious that Fisher put as much love into these early transistor units as their tube units. Compared to my x-101b, it doesn't have quite the upper midrange "magic", but it does just about everything else better.
-Adam

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2679.jpg
    IMG_2679.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2680.jpg
    IMG_2680.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2654.jpg
    IMG_2654.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2694.jpg
    IMG_2694.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 55
For a minute there I thought that was mine. Then I saw the axial main's. But no I haven't had problems with mine either with the 1.0uf silver colored axial in the driver board. If you want to replace it, use a Panasonic ECQ axial film.

Love those socketed transistors. Just pull them noting orientation and spray a little DeOxit on the pins. Then cycle the pins in and out of the socket about 5-10 times.

Agree the upper midrange doesn't have that FISHER Magic, but it does most everything else right.

Good to know...thanks Larry. For now I'll just enjoy it as is. Next time i place a big order, I'll probably throw in a few of those panasonic ecq's...good multipurpose caps to have around anyways. I had some extras of the Kemet R82's which worked great in the preamp board, but the lead spacing doesn't work in those axial spots. Btw, your 550t rebuild thread was a great reference while I was putting this one together...so thanks!
Adam

Adam I have a 660 (export 550T) and I need to replace the axials 16-21 on schematic. looks like you used Panasonic caps but your values are alot higher.
is there a reason or did you have to due to using other values up and down the line?

Steez51; aberbs1 has not been on the forums since March 27. No idea when he'll be back on. can you screen shot the areas on the schematic, where your question is and post it up so we can help you a bit sooner.

Back
Top Bottom