fisher cord replacements

brad44

What type of 2 prong cords are you guys using for replacments? Something that looks authentic I suppose...

Also the hot side is connected to the fuse, correct?

I was lucky with my 202-R tuner. It had its original cord but someone had cut off the original plug and added a replacement plug from the hardware store.

I had a junk 200-T in my pile o'stuff in the garage. It had a nearly perfect original cord with original plug with the molded Fisher bird. Now my 202-R looks like it has its original cord...even though the cord is 6-7 years newer than the tuner.

Sorry i cant help with a name of supplier but keep in mind, you want a NON-POLARIZED 2 prong cord like your original.

personally I'd skip the NP cord if you want to modernize it a bit. Hot side to the fuse and then to the switch. If there is a line to chassis cap, that should be on the neutral side. Of course this relies on your outlets being wired correctly, so you'd want to confirm that. They make little plug in testers with some lights that tell you whats going on with the wiring.

if you do use a non-polarized, it doesn't much matter which wire goes where. 50% chance of it being backwards any time you plug it in.

What is the 'line to chassis cap' you mention?

This is for my dads kx100 or kx200 i cant remeber which one he has. He was going to lop off an extension cord but i told gim to hold off until i could find out what you guys are using on your restorations.

I'm assuming he means what's now referred to as a safety cap. I haven't looked in my x-101-b but I would assume it has one, my Scott 340b has one and somewhere I've researched replacements.

Some things have a capacitor from one side of the power line to the chassis. It will usually be fairly easy to find, most of them will be soldered to the same point where the power cord lands inside the unit. Old ones are typically a ceramic disc capacitor, rated 1000-2000 volts. These get replaced with a safety capacitor if so equipped. Not all gear uses one. If yours doesn't have it, disregard :)

Got any thrift stores?

It's brown right?

Old lamps have old NP cords in brown.

I scrap junk and old original cords with proper logo fetch $20 at auction. With fees and shipping, total cost to buyer gets near $30.

True restoration is spendy.

Actually if you don't want 100% correct I have tons of brown 12' extension cords from my local thrift ($1 apiece)

I've been hoovering them up so that whenever I pass on a receiver or amplifier I can include some nice speaker wires with them. Sadly, a thrift store 16AWG extension cord with the ends cut off is way better speaker wire than what is actually sold for the purpose, and cheaper too ("speaker wire" at your local hardware store tends to be CCA not copper, and equivalent lamp cord is $1 a foot or more)

I'm going to be in the same situation whenever I go to restore the X-101-B however, the original cord has been cut to insert a toggle switch. I may just shorten it rather than try to find a replacement.

I bought a roll of brown lamp cord a long while ago and I just put my own plugs on as needed.

You need an 8' extension cord to make it right though. by the time you do the internal wiring, that 6' cord ends up with 4 1/2 feet of useful wire. Us people with old houses that had one outlet per room need a little bit more to reach the string of power strips that make modern life possible.

Back
Top Bottom