Fisher Custom Electra V, Mod E46-X

MtnAudio

Went to get a couple of old junker TTs from a friend and this presented itself. He picked it up some time ago to keep it from going to the dump and he occasionally listens to the FM and plays records on it! From the mint period advertiser and Operating Instructions and Warranty pamphlets that are with it, it looks like the Custom Electra V with multiplex, all original as far as I can see at this time. Delivery receipt from 1961. Not a audio guy himself so it's coming home with me tomorrow, cabinet's not bad at all either. The pamphlet says 12" woofers.

EL84s with pretty small iron driving them. Can anyone tell me anything about this? Pretty excited to run into something like this in this way. My picture of the cabinet makes it look longer than it is. Thanks for any info.KIMG0329.jpg KIMG0330.jpg KIMG0332.jpg KIMG0333.jpg

Fisher Custom Electra V Console (1962)
(Model E-46X*)

Chassis: 460-T, 460-A, MPX-70

36 Watts

Price: $645 (Provincial/Early American) $595 (Modern)

*X in model number designates Multiplex
Can be ordered without for $50 less.

1962 was the 1st year that Multiplex was offered (even as an option) in the Electra. Yours having the "X" denotes it has the Multiplex module on the tuner/preamp. The Electra is about in the middle of the pack, and was quite popular. Your's is the Modern cabinet either Walnut or Mahoghany. I think you'll be surprised at the SQ. I've got a 64 C.E. VII and a 65 CE VIII and both sound quite good.

So I'd like to keep this as a console. The size is manageable, cabinet's in good shape, and I already have a spot picked out in the house, still under negotiation with my wife but looks good.
It has been played on an occasional basis, since he had it anyway, and he tuned in a station quite nicely.
Couple of questions:

Should I attempt to use this without a checkup (I can clean it up) and perhaps an update since it has been being used (I believe it to be original)? Gotta take it in for that.

Was wondering about the speaker sound quality, you say it sounds pretty good? Anything to do there?

Turntable is a Garrard 210 still working, thinking I'll want to upgrade that?

Thanks

On the speakers, just update the crossover caps.

If you take to a shop, better to take the guts out of the cabinet.

If it's been used recently, you can use it but be prepared to turn off immediately if something happens to it. At best learn which is the on-off knob, at worst set the power cord where you can easily grab it on the run and pull out from the wall. I'm not saying something WILL happen, but as it has not been verified that it has been rebuilt there are caps that are marginal that can blow out and cause damage to the unit, or a tube might be weak and short out. those are but two of the possibilites. If you do run it stay in the room with it and keep an eye and ear on it.

As for the Garrard, just find a new stylus for it for now. Instructions and service manual for it are @ vinylengine under Garrard RC210. IT's actually a good little changer and shouldn't give you any troubles after cleaning all the old grease out and re-lubricating it. The stylus pressure can go down to 3-4gr which isn't bad.

Thanks, think I'll break it down and take it in and get it updated, don't want to cause damage/or loose it. Take advantage of the hardware being out and refinish the cab, maybe do the speaker caps myself.

So no damage to my LP collection?

If you set the Vertical weight to less than 4 gr you'll be fine. Believe it or not people played the LP's you have now on gear that ran from 5 to 10gr and we're still playing them now in a lot of cases (unless all yours are brand new pressings). I have a lot of my parents stuff that played weekely on an old RCA furrow maker and a Sear's portable that ate stylus' at a rate the fed would call inflationary. And they still sound good. So don't believe all the "internet bunk" about most old Record players or changers. The Garrard is a decent machine. A bit on the basic side, but ok to use. Get the manuals and stuff off VinylEngine.

Got 'em, thanks for the info. Got both the service and owners manual off them. Starting to explore and figure out how to get the tuner/pre out. Took off the back of the woofer cabinet and was going to see who made the speakers. Funny thing is, it's all one big cabinet down there with both woofers in it. Fine for mono I would imagine but not so good for stereo. Thoughts on a piece of 3/4" plywood to separate the two woofers-or am I getting too critical here?

Here's my Provincial/Early American. It sounds very nice and does get used fairly often.

No MPX and the turntable isn't really up to speed (literally). I mostly stream music via an AirportExpress....

IMG_0327.JPG

My '64 is the same way. I don't discern a detriment to stereo by having the speaker cabinet as one. If it's got a burr in your side, go ahead and separate them. But I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Got it home, here's some better pics

Attachments

• Fisher Custom Electra V 001.JPG
    Fisher Custom Electra V 001.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Fisher Custom Electra V 002.JPG
    Fisher Custom Electra V 002.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Fisher Custom Electra V 004.JPG
    Fisher Custom Electra V 004.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Fisher Custom Electra V 007.JPG
    Fisher Custom Electra V 007.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Fisher Custom Electra V 005.JPG
    Fisher Custom Electra V 005.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Fisher Custom Electra V 006.JPG
    Fisher Custom Electra V 006.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 102
Nice condition, got some work to do on my cab top. Looks like my post that you answered on the speakers got lost somehow, nbd. I get your point on the LP's, I'll have to pickup something to set the force, never done it on a table without calibrations.

Garrard made a simple stylus pressure gauge that often turns up on the auction sites. They work quite well.

That is a handsome cabinet. It is nice to see good cabinetry preserved and maintained. I would not worry much about the woofer separation as the low frequencies are pretty much non-directional and below certain frequencies in the bass region both woofers work together in phase. The main separation heard is produced by the mid-range and tweeter drivers.

Many of the console chassis I see have some dust on them but often clean up better than many of the component type units (which often seem to suffer from having drinks spilled in them during parties over the years). I think you will be well pleased with it after doing some checks of parts with help here, you can likely do the repairs yourself if any are needed. We will be here to help you.

Joe

Nice find! I have a Custom Electra IV from the year before (1962). I found it on craigslist and it had been in the same family its whole life.

You'll be amazed how great it'll look once you give the cabinet a light freshening and cleanup...and how great it sounds!

I use mine mainly listen to classical music on the FM but I also play my 78s on it (my turntable is the same a s yours) which is a lot of fun.

Great info and offers, thank you.
Soooooo, not experienced in doing anything but a little cleaning and lube to get things going. No equip other than an old analog VOM and a too big soldering iron at this time but have been threatening myself for a while now to buy some of the needed equip, the list on DIY "So you want to repair...." is a little daunting. Repair costs are high and I would like to do repair myself for both costs and satisfaction. Not concerned with a "full" restoration and will not target a full disassembly, but want to clean and update where needed and put the system back into regular use. Speaker crossover caps (once identified on the crossover) don't look like a problem to me and if that worked out I could go the MPX board and work up from there. With no real experience, but a lot of time, is it really realistic for me to think I can go into the currently "functioning" components and accomplish the necessary work without screwing things up?

I see a bunch of the stylus pressure gauges on ebay, SPG 2 and SPG 3. Will either work for the Garrard 210?

Starting to clean up the dust.

Yep. The SPG 3 is nice. Make sure it has the 5gr calibration weight with it. It will do from 1/2gr to 10gr., and reads off the top, where the SPG2 reads off the side IIRC. Even the newest one's that look like coke scales work on turntables. (hey I'm a retired cop)

Either, but the SPG-3 is the better one. The SPG-2 doesn't really measure under 5 grams, and honestly I find it to be more difficult to use overall. You also need to look straight in off the side which is hard with a console changer that has it down in a hole.

I have an SPG-2 because it was free. I bought the SPG-3 and actually use it.

You can use a small compact mirror to see the side viewing scale of the SPG-3 down in a deep cabinet.

Thanks. Bought the SPG-3 with weight on ebay this morning, $12 delivered. Coke scale, mirror, hey what's going on here??

Coke Scale, mirror? Nothing going on just saying that the weight needed is in the low grams area and the scale would work.

Back
Top Bottom