Fisher Custom Electra V, Mod E46-X

Yeah go ahead on the Feed and WAX. Use sparingly and keep adding coats if it soaks up the previous coat in 5 minutes. 4-5 coats may be needed. Don't buff btwn coats, only the last one that takes 10-15 minutes to dry/soak in.

Well, recapped and fully operational amp/tuner/mpx. Sounds good!
Still need to clean and lube the tt.
Cab came out nice.

I’ll post some pics when I get the tt in and it’s all done.

This has an aux mono input but not aux stereo input. I see earlier in the thread where the mpx input was used for an aux stereo input. Can’t get to that when against the wall and I want to keep the stereo fm.

Any other way to input an iPod or cd without surgery?
Remote switch for the input between mpx and other device?
Thanks for all the help.

Switching the MPX input is the easy way, but it doesn't look like it would be very difficult at all to modify that mono aux to stereo aux. It looks like there is a single jack, and it has a wire connecting to both sections of the input selector. Cutting the jumper between the wafers and running that out to a second jack would get you stereo inputs.

well, easy electrically I should say. Physical access, no idea. Sometimes those switches are a real SOB to work around.

Really don’t want to get into a mod, although it would be a nice clean way to do it.
Trying a Little Bear MC1022 switch for switching between the original MPX decoder input and a MP3 player input. It’s output is plugged into the MPX input. I note a distinct lower volume and less frequency response in the MPX signal vs. the MPX plugged directly into the tuner/pre amp.

To be expected with this inexpensive unit or is it something else?

might be loading of the extra cables. That MPX decoder doesn't really have great drive capability and adding high capacitance cables might be enough to load it down.

maybe some low capacitance video cables? Or something marked as being for turntable leads. Also not sure what sort of load the switch might add to the mix.

I'll give it a try. Yeah, I was wondering about the switch, hadn't thought of the cables.

Here's some pics of the finished product. Sounds great. Amp, Tuner/pre, and speaker crossovers re-capped. New tubes in amp. TT cleaned and lubed with new stylus.IMG_0851.jpgIMG_0852.jpgIMG_0853.jpgIMG_0854.jpgIMG_0791.jpg

Went on to other projects but still want to connect an additional stereo device into the system.

Note on the tuner/preamp chassis there is a Reverb (called a Spacexpander in the owners manual) in/out with jumpers. Im thinking this is a Pre out/Main in connection. (See picture)

Can i connect my Little Bear switch MC1022 into the circuit here with good results?
-use a stereo cable from the Fisher “Rev” Out to the A input on the Little Bear and the MP3 player to the B Input on the Little bear and use the Little Bear Output jacks to bring one of the two signals back into the preamp and on to the amp.
-So the front panel indicator switch on the Fisher would not reflect or matter what output was selected if the Little Bear was switched to B.

I would just do this as a test but don’t want to screw something up.

Thanks

Attachments

• A2AF4A1E-B9F2-45AC-899D-8BE1493B759C.jpeg
    A2AF4A1E-B9F2-45AC-899D-8BE1493B759C.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 9
It doesn't quite work that way. I forget exactly why, mix of very high impedance that causes poor drive and something about it not being really the right signal level but the short of it is no you can't use it that way.

I had one in teak

Small Fisher front.jpg Small Fisher front2.jpg Small Fisher top.jpg

And no, no aux input
I got a MPX unit from an AK member to make it FM stereo
I think it ran a Shure MD3 or MD7

Last edited:
Nice, looks just like mine.

How'd that turntable work for you? Had mine all working right and then it started malfunctioning with the auto function. I can play it manual no problem.

As far as inputs, can I simply run the Little Bear switch Output, one side input from the tuner/preamp and the other from an MP3 player, into the Power Amp Input or does it need to go through a Preamp?

its a record changer, they all get temperamental with age. I haven't yet met one that actually worked properly as-found but some are more jammed up than others. Looks like an RC210 or 209, same thing except the 210 has a removable headshell. I rebuilt one for someone, not a terrible job. Its the usual sticky record changer lube problem. A good cleaning and some fresh oil or grease in the right spots should have it working properly again. Its kind of a complex mess inside, lots of pieces that only come apart in a particular order that you have to figure out for yourself. The manuals are only so helpful, they weren't written with a step by step clean and re-lube 60 years after manufacture in mind.

I did very little disassembly and mostly an assembled clean and lube, probably why it didn’t take gor long. A little sewing mach oil on pivots and white lithium on sliders. Was working well for a short time and then went south. Maybe try again. What lube should i be using?

Any knowledge on the amp input?

Sewing machine and white lithium is fine. I use silicone grease because I have it, but I don't know that it has any real advantage.

Feeding direct to the amp input is fine, but the stock controls obviously won't be functional anymore. Need a way to control volume.

Looks like you have an Aux Mono input? I'd bet that wouldn't be too hard to modify to be a stereo Aux.

it would be easy. Just have to cut one jumper on the switch, install another jack, and run a wire to it. Not sure the physical specifics on this, access to the proper spots on the switch is usually the hard part on anything like this.

Electra V stereo aux mod.jpg

The external switch has a volume control along with the switching of the inputs. Here’s a picture.

Yep, was talking to my repair tech about that, he said he’d have to take a look but that is definitely the cleanest option. I gotta check out a couple of possible issues that may be going on with overall performance and if i end up taking it in I will have him see what he can do.
Hmmm, you gave me the same advice on changing the mono out to stereo a couple years ago in this thread!

Meanwhile ill check out plumbing into the amp direct and the issues i may have.

Issues to ck out-a sometimes ground type hum in phono and a seeming weaking of the fm performance when on for a period of time.

Thanks, i report back in on various issues

Attachments

• 8947F09B-E463-4723-AC35-518CC5063FCD.jpeg
    8947F09B-E463-4723-AC35-518CC5063FCD.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom