Fisher X 100 3 output transformer recommendation

I'll try to remember to flip mine over when I get home to confirm, but that does sound right. Mine is a late TA-600, made 1960 I believe.

Nice to see its a bit bigger than original. I think you'll get good results from those.

I looked at mine. Dave is correct on the wiring. Mine is also a late (50000 series) model.

Thanks guys - I'll get to soldering tonight. I wonder if it's worth adding new speaker terminal strips with 4 ohm taps? Might even be an opportunity to change to terminals that are easier to live with.

I didn't get a serial number of the 600 these came from and they are not marked on the bells, so I have to assume the wiring designations didn't change - or I suppose I could ask all TA600 owners out there to check their transformers and hopefully get a response from every serial number range.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to wire up the 4 and 8 ohm taps and abandon the 16. Maybe land that one on an internal terminal strip if thats where the feedback taps. Unless you actually have 16 ohm speakers, I suspect most folks would find 4 and 8 to be more useful.

The Early versions (10001-49999) all use the T-720-116 transformer for the output's. The last version (50000-59999) use the T-720-117. As for the differences, I have no idea unless they have to do with the change of the driver from the 7199 to the 7247.

I would strongly recommend that you search high and low until you find someone who has actually had Heyboer successfully unwind a defective OPT, and then properly rewind it so that its re-installation back into the set delivered expected and identical results along side the remaining good transformer. This is not to in anyway disparage Heyboer. But winding quality output transformers is very different from winding power transformers -- and to my knowledge, Heyboer is not in the output transformer business. Simply providing a good one to copy does not mean the skill and craftsmanship is present to produce an accurate copy. So again, the standard recommendation aside, I would do your research to make sure they are capable of doing this type of work correctly so there are no surprises in the end.

Good luck in getting a replacement!

Dave

I would strongly recommend that you search high and low until you find someone who has actually had Heyboer successfully unwind a defective OPT, and then properly rewind it so that its re-installation back into the set delivered expected and identical results along side the remaining good transformer. This is not to in anyway disparage Heyboer. But winding quality output transformers is very different from winding power transformers -- and to my knowledge, Heyboer is not in the output transformer business. Simply providing a good one to copy does not mean the skill and craftsmanship is present to produce an accurate copy. So again, the standard recommendation aside, I would do your research to make sure they are capable of doing this type of work correctly so there are no surprises in the end.

Good luck in getting a replacement!

Dave

I think someone in this thread (or was it my original one) mentioned OPT rewinded by Heyboer but I don't know if it changed sonics or not...

So, would the Transcendar replacements would be my best bet without fuss?

**EDIT: my bad, it was for a PT...

Ok, looking briefly on the web, it seems that Heyboer winds transformers for guitar amps, not sure about hi-fi though...

...or Z565 output trannies: could they fit the bill? Curious?

Thanks.

**EDIT: I just saw that dcgillespie mentioned them as a possible substitute.

Last edited:
Heyboer sent me a rewound PT for a Scott amp and it worked really well. Never had any experience with them on OT though.

Heyboer sent me a rewound PT for a Scott amp and it worked really well. Never had any experience with them on OT though.

Well, I have a PT replacement for my Eico HF-81 from them in case the original dies one day.

But, I do not see OPT rewinding experiences here in AK.

Thanks anyway and Happy Holidays...

Ok, I've contacted Transcendar transformers for a possible rewinding and they told me that they don't make any transformers at this time. So, they're out of the equation...

rufleruf, are you there?

I am happy to report I got around to finishing the TA600 transformer install and it works great now! A lot more powerful than I expected.
Now I just have to swap the other OPT for a TA600 unit to it matches.

Did you ever figure out yours Patrice B?

I left it 8 16 for now. I don't have any 4 or 16 ohm speakers that I know of. Quick and easy to redo if I want to later.

Quite a bit thicker. I installed the original bells from the X100 on the TA600 transformer. Fortunately I was able to get it to bolt down - was tight.

I am happy to report I got around to finishing the TA600 transformer install and it works great now! A lot more powerful than I expected.
Now I just have to swap the other OPT for a TA600 unit to it matches.

Did you ever figure out yours Patrice B?

I'll ask Gary at xformers to rewind the bad one. Didn't find anything on BT or the Bay.

Back
Top Bottom