Fitting grilles to econowaves

grunt

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey Gang,
First I hope this is posted in the right place. I didn't want to do a massive thread crap on the awesome econowave thread. I searched the thread as long as I could bear (whew! that thing is long!) as well as doing a search on this site and google since I don't imagine I'm the first to wonder about this.
I recently acquired a beautiful pair of wood veneered bullnose Advent econowaves from AKer Donkey Kong. They came with mint original Advent grilles. I can't attach them because the waveguide protrudes from the front of the speaker enough to keep the grille "pins" from seating in the corresponding holes. These grilles have plastic frames with tapered plastic pegs molded in that fit into plastic female inserts in the front surface to the speaker itself. I'm hoping someone has modified these grilles and can explain to me how this is done. The grilles (and everything else about these speakers) are mint and I don't want to hack them up experimenting.
These sound amazing and installing the vintage grilles will add a sleeper/stealth touch which I think will be uber cool.
I should add that the seller gave full disclosure that the grilles would need to be modified to fit.
I would be grateful to anyone willing to share their wisdom.

Thanks

Hey grunt....
I swear I've seen where someone attached the grilles to some econowaved NLA's. I'll keep looking.

Your original grilles would need to have the tweeter area enlarged for the econowave right?
Are you going to make all new grilles from masonite board or something?

I'd like to countersink the horns in mine but it will be difficult to route it.
Then the grilles will fit normally.

Hey grunt....
I swear I've seen where someone attached the grilles to some econowaved NLA's. I'll keep looking.

Your original grilles would need to have the tweeter area enlarged for the econowave right?
Are you going to make all new grilles from masonite board or something?[/QUOTE
Hey grunt....

Are you going to make all new grilles from masonite board or something?
Thanks 1rebmem,
The waveguides are 6 1/2" tall so I would have to remove grille frame material for 6 1/2" on both plastic frame uprights to a depth of about 1/2 of the depth of the frame uprights for their entire width, making the tops of the grilles really "floppy", probably resulting in breakage. I looked at removing the female peg inserts and shimming them out so they could get some "bite" on the pegs. But they don't want to come out and I don't want to force them. I considered elongating the pegs so they would extend forward enough to hold in the holes, but finding material the right diameter and softness to grip in the corresponding female inserts when screwed onto the ends of the pegs is likely to be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. None of the solutions I come up with seem workable. I want to use the original grilles if I can because they're minty and you just don't see them this nice very often any more.

?maybe?
For extenders, use 2 different dowels;
The larger diameter dowel would be the carrier, and get a hole drilled through it along the axis, with the hole sized to fit the existing grill pegs. The smaller diameter dowel, same dia as the grill peg. Cut a short section of the Large, press it onto the peg, and the Small dowel goes into the other side of the Large. 'Nuff words, time for a pic:
Dowel Peg.jpg

Second thoughts; the carrier piece doesn't have to be a dowel, a square might be easier to drill, and do you have an old Tinkertoy set...the complete solution might be in there. :)

Grunt, Somewhat related - I am looking at buying a pair of New Large Advent, Bullnose Speakers off of CL. I would like to Econowave them. Does yours have the silver trim around the baffle? I am wondering if the Parts Express H6512 Waveguide fits on the baffle with this silver trim in place. If yes, great, then I too will need to tackle the grill fit... Thanks for any input, anyone...

Steve

Back
Top Bottom