Five Favorite Science Fiction TV Series - Mine and Yours

nailer

audionerd
Subscriber
The genesis for this thread was unknowingly begun a couple summers ago when I purchase a Star Trek complete series Blu-ray set. I've since added Sci-Fi's Battle Star Galactica, Babylon Five, Space Above and Beyond, and The Prisoner. In descending order, here goes.

Let's face it, for many of us older AKers the original Star Trek will always have a special place in our hearts. I was still in grade school when it first aired on NBC at 10. This was after my bedtime and we had but a single TV, so even if I had a later bedtime I wasn't going to be watching. However thanks to the wonders of syndication and channel 20 in DC I was able to view every episode numerous times. The thing that really struck me when re watching the series in original broadcast order was the colors. I don't think I had seen an episode in color, well maybe a few, until my re watch. Another thing was the unevenness of the stories which was also apparent to me when I first watched, but there were only a few that I didn't care for. Even with this minor picked nit Star Trek will always be my favorite.

Next on my list is Sci Fi's Battlestar Galactica. I remember watching a few episodes of the original when it was produce and aired by network TV thanks in no small part to Star Wars. It didn't do anything for me and I found the Buck Rogers TV series of the same time more entertaining. Not being a cable kind of guy, I rented the first season of the new and vastly improved Battlestar Galactica from Premier Video as soon as it came out and fell in love and the series remained excellent for the reminder of it's seasons. Truth be told in a direct comparison it is a better series than Star Trek.

Firefly has an advantage of having but 14 episodes, but everyone is great. I saw maybe two or three episodes over the air and rented the discs when they came out. A future where the world's cultures are mixed and the out world planets having an old west vibe. What's not to like? River and Jayne are my favorite characters.

When I purchased and began watching Babylon 5 I wasn't sure if I had watched the entire series when originally aired, but when binge re watch was finished with the emotionally moving last episode I knew I had. It's usually not in me to be in front of the TV the same time every week for to watch a show. Luckily for me a good friend shares the same trait and programmed his VCR to record every episode when they originally aired, all five seasons. He would fill a tape up, watch it and pass it on to me. After completing my DVD re watch marathon I couldn't help thinking what this show would have been like if it had a budget similar to concurrent Star Trek series. Maybe in a alt universe?

The first four choices were relatively easy compared to the fifth. The choice was basically between Star Trek Next Generation and Orphan Black. I also remember how much I liked The Prisoner back in the day which is why I purchased it. So far I've only been able to bring myself to watch 3 episodes to date (too much other good stuff to spin in the DVD player) showing that sometimes you can't go home again. I was in on Star Trek The Next Generation from the start and pretty much saw every episode. I'm still contemplating buying a complete series DVD set. If the entire series had been done to the level of the Borg stories it would've been number five. There's also Wesley Crusher to consider. Upon watching Orphan Black;s 4th season on DVD I've no qualms putting it in fifth place.

Looking forward to hearing about your five favorites.

Last edited:
Babylon 5
Excellent story telling across an arc. Drama, intrigue, humor - it had it all. Including some truly alien aliens.

The Outer Limits(1)
Scary & human storytelling at its finest; great allegories.

Twilight Zone(1)
Same as above.

Star Trek TOS
Well, what more can you say?

Night Gallery
Scary & weird stories with outstanding actors.

In no particular order:

1. Star Trek: TNG

2. Twilight Zone

3. Outer Limits

4. X-Files

5. Star Trek: TOS

S.J.

Babylon 5
Excellent story telling across an arc. Drama, intrigue, humor - it had it all. Including some truly alien aliens.

The Outer Limits(1)
Scary & human storytelling at its finest; great allegories.

Twilight Zone(1)
Same as above.

Star Trek TOS
Well, what more can you say?

Night Gallery
Scary & weird stories with outstanding actors.

The Shadows and Vorlons come immediately to mind.

Only 5? In no particular order -

Top 5:

The Expanse, X-Files, Farscape, ST:TOS, & Dr. Who (Tennant era).

Runners Up:

Firefly, ST:Voyager, Battlestar Galactica (2004-), & Stargate SG-1

Honorable Mention:

Caprica, Cowboy Bepop, & Defiance

Huh. Thought I was the only one liked Caprica ... then again, we were probably the only two watching it, which might explain it's quick light speed trip to neverland ... <G>

Lot of B5 groupies here. Add me to the list.

Does Orphan Black count? Clones are SciFi, aren't they?

(Clones are real)

You stay out of this! Back in the basement where you belong!!

Uh. Where was I?

Oh, yeah. Firefly.

Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from meEEeeeee ...

And more current ... The Expanse. I had my doubts as to how the series would track the books, but so far, so good. Only complaint I'd have is the Protomolecule doesn't look anything like the real thing.

(Can I play with the Protomolecule?)

Shuddup Clone - DON'T make me come down there!!

And ... drum roll please ... Fringe. Another borderline SciFi that took the genre in a whole nuther direction. Walter's my hero.

Here are two that come to mind for me along with others already posted.

Science Fiction Theater from 1955.

ReGenesis from 2004. Another great Canadian TV series.

Huh. Thought I was the only one liked Caprica ... then again, we were probably the only two watching it, which might explain it's quick light speed trip to neverland ...

It took several shows to coalesce but it was definitely getting going. It added a lot of backstory to the Cylons as well as the 12 planets. I liked it.

MST 3000 ...

Rumor has it the show returns soon ... on Netflix. Supposed to be committed to 14 new episodes. Hopefully, they'll keep the excruciatingly cheezy production and effects, and resist the urge to upgrade the robots ... that'd ruin the whole thing. It's all about the cheese!

MST 3000 ...

Rumor has it the show returns soon ... on Netflix. Supposed to be committed to 14 new episodes. Hopefully, they'll keep the excruciatingly cheezy production and effects, and resist the urge to upgrade the robots ... that'd ruin the whole thing. It's all about the cheese!

Those robots were a hoot and I've heard Wallace and Gromit were big fans.

We thought Star Trek was hokey using car window brake lights for security flashers in the corridors ... at least they didn't build any robots with infant car seats and battle lanterns ... <G>

2ce027d94d08362cf628250577ae9fe1.jpg

MORE CHEESE, PLEASE!

Babylon 5 (amazing arc even tho not knowing from year to year if they'd be funded!)
The Expanse (saw season 1 streaming, read the first 5 books, and can't wait to see it play out onscreen)
The 2005 reboot of Doctor Who by Russell T. Davis
Firefly (too short, far too short!)
Deep Space 9 (well, at least the first couple seasons ...)

and honorary mention -
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (its close to SF, a kick-ass female hero and great story-telling helped!) - plus the Angel series as well.

Yes I DID enjoy ST:TOS when it first ran, and for a couple years afterward - but damn it, Jim, its 2017 and not a 60s flashback!
Bab5 wrote the book on doing believable science fiction effects for TV on a budget

I think Star Trek is the most important SF TV series ever and B5 is the second. Without Star Trek, especially the success of its syndication, I don't think many of the excellent series listed above would have been made. Star Trek created the boomer audience. And B5 showed that a SF series with a cohesive arc was viable. For me what made B5 great was the Shadows' questions. Who are you and what do you want? The story arc of B5 was each primary character finding the answer to these timeless human questions.

Last edited:
On a lighter side, anyone else remember Quark? The premise of outer space garbage collection could only have come from the mind of Buck Henry.

On a lighter side, anyone else remember Quark? The premise of outer space garbage collection could only have come from the mind of Buck Henry.

Stay on target. Stay on target. :thumbsup:

Many a Star Trek and Babylon 5 episode had their lighter moments. I, Mudd is my favorite Star Trek comedy - Logic is little tweeting bird.

The Quark I remember is a Ferengi and as a species the Ferengi are amusing and potentially dangerous.

Googled the TV show and now I sort of remember it.

Last edited:
Great show! Definitely on target, Luke. My favorite Brit SF series. There is Hitchhiker's though.:confused:

Last edited:
I've been watching The Wild Wild West, would that be considered sort of sci-fi ?

Also, there's a new ota channel called Comet that shows some good stuff.

http://www.comettv.com/

Quick top five ?

Star Trek tos
Firefly
Enterprise
?
?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom