FLAC and Mac- so far, nothing but headaches.

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Trying to run FLAC in iTunes is not working out for me too well.

I do like the iTunes layout and would like to use it- not really interested in using another player interface.

Problem is lack of support for OGG and FLAC.

I've tried a few different software programs such as Switch and Fluke and it didn't work out as planned.

Suggestions?

I burn to .WAV files and use iTunes
HD storage is cheap these days, so don't sweat the size.

The issue is I already have some flac recorded stuff.

Not much, but it would be nice to convert it if possible.

Most of my stuff I have as AAC fr portable use, AIFF for archive.

The issue is I already have some flac recorded stuff.
Not much, but it would be nice to convert it if possible.
Most of my stuff I have as AAC fr portable use, AIFF for archive.

Not sure your end desires ... I keep things archived in FLAC mode too.
For the best fidelity, I usually play the discs directly, , but to play them in iTunes through my MAC,
or through Airtunes (roughly 350gB these days) to my speakers and amps (or to carry around on a my iPod,
I usually convert them to 320kbps MP3s, using a tool called MAX -
http://sbooth.org/Max/

As they say:

When extracting audio from compact discs, Max offers the maximum in flexibility to ensure the true sound of your CD is faithfully extracted. For pristine discs, Max offers a high-speed ripper with no error correction. For damaged discs, Max can either use its built-in comparison ripper (for drives that cache audio) or the error-correcting power of cdparanoia.

Once the audio is extracted, Max can generate audio in over 20 compressed and uncompressed formats including MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Apple Lossless, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, AIFF, and WAVE.

If you would like to convert your audio from one format to another, Max can read and write audio files in over 20 compressed and uncompressed formats at almost all sample rates and and in most sample sizes. For many popular formats the artist and album metadata is transferred seamlessly between the old and new files. Max can even split a single audio file into multiple tracks using a cue sheet.

Last edited:
You might be able to get them to show up by running Firefly media server. I think they show up as wav files in iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom