Flac or .Wav

Most certainly.

In today's world, however, it seems silly to use application specific formats - even within the Windows realm.

Maybe so, but there`s no requirement needed for anything but WAV. here(no car`s audio systems are usb capable), as I have only one ripped music friend that I`m remotely interested in, and he`s been lossless WAV. for almost 5 years, so when we desire any music files from each other, it`s a simple flash drive exchange.. And with large capacity SSD/flash drive`s being inexpensive, FLAC is not needed, nor desired..

The few other of my non audiophile friends with decades ago ripped music files that are all mp3, so their not even a consideration of music file exchange compatibility, they already have what music I have, and see no desire to go WAV. FLAC. etc.as their quite content with their tin ear !!

I`m quite content with my "closed loop" setup, thank you very much.

Kind regards, OKB

Another option-

I use Windows Media Player to rip CDs WMA Lossless. I then copy the files to my music player laptop running JRiver.
(After copying to backup drive).
External USB drives are cheap. My player library is over 2300 CDs and lives on USB 3.0 2TB drive.

I keep a separate library of MP3 files to use on phone Micro SD card. There is software to convert from WMA to MP3 if needed.
Must be software to convert to FLAC but never tried.

Nothing against WAV or FLAC. WMA works well for me. I don't feel the need to compress.

To me the important thing is LOSSLESS for main system however you decide to do it and always have a backup.

:thumbsup: :beerchug:

And I don`t buy tracks off the internet, or send/receive music files either via my e-mail either !!
With my 450kbs internet speed, and no desire to pay for higher, since it serves my simple needs..
And no smart phone owned, or desired either.

Most certainly.

In today's world, however, it seems silly to use application specific formats - even within the Windows realm.
That's how I see it.
I look at it this way, how could I possibly know where I'm going to be 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the road with digital playback? Why hedge myself in with a sub par tagging system that may or may not work with my player of choice down the road? And no, I'm not talking about some Apple OS here.

That's how I see it.
I look at it this way, how could I possibly know where I'm going to be 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the road with digital playback? Why hedge myself in with a sub par tagging system that may or may not work with my player of choice down the road? And no, I'm not talking about some Apple OS here.
I used OS-X merely as an example of another popular flavor with obvious benefits over the Win environment. You may be aware it is Linux based.

I think the difference is that Bill uses file based music on a casual basis only and has no concern for future changes. Despite being an old f*rt, I cannot imagine not having access to all the applications on my iPhone used on a daily basis. You and I have left the spinning plastic disk world and live in a server based environment that is continually changing. As an IT professional, I choose standardized, open source options for all my solutions. Both of my renderer / endpoints use Linux at their core as it has a smaller footprint, less overhead and higher performance than Win based playback applications.

I used OS-X merely as an example of another popular flavor with obvious benefits over the Win environment. You may be aware it is Linux based.

I think the difference is that Bill uses file based music on a casual basis only and has no concern for future changes. Despite being an old f*rt, I cannot imagine not having access to all the applications on my iPhone used on a daily basis. You and I have left the spinning plastic disk world and live in a server based environment that is continually changing. As an IT professional, I choose standardized, open source options for all my solutions. Both of my renderer / endpoints use Linux at their core as it has a smaller footprint, less overhead and higher performance than Win based playback applications.
Oh, I knew what you meant.

I truly don't know where I'm going digital music wise. At the moment I'm a Windows guy with computers and an Apple guy when it comes to phones(and digital music playback). My FLAC, MP3, and WAV files live in a Windows world and get shot to an Apple world. It all works well for me now, but I know I'll be moving onward and upward at some point.
I've been in a bit of a limbo state about it. We bought a new W10 machine awhile back, but my wife is having a hard time migrating away from this old laptop. She hates tech change. My plan was to dabble in Linux once she was done with this one, but she keeps coming back for odds n ends jobs.
I'm really leaning towards the Raspberry thing. Get the music stuff besides the ripping on its own computer.

Yeah, I'm no power user, but I love the tools my phone give me.
Yesterday is a great example. I hung a flat panel for a customer who lives way across town in the next community over. I used the google map thingy to check the traffic before leaving, and again to find the house without looking at a map while driving, texted the homeowner who then texted her neighbour to let me in, used the DeWalt construction app to convert the VESA metric specs to imperial, used the internet to confirm that the TV wasn't too heavy for the mount they bought, took a pic of the work done(for the customer and for my records), and took a pic of the bill for my accounting purposes.

I haven't left that spinning plastic world yet. I've still got a whack of CDs to rip, and have a healthy vinyl collection.
I'll get there with the CDs, but no way am I ripping all that vinyl. I've got the space to keep it all right now, but I am looking onward to the day when I won't. If I can reduce a pile of clutter via CDs being stored away, I'm all for it. And being as standardized as I can be with that process is nothing but good.

My FLAC, MP3, and WAV files live in a Windows world and get shot to an Apple world.
Mine do too from a storage standpoint.

Yeah, I'm no power user, but I love the tools my phone give me.
Yesterday is a great example. I hung a flat panel for a customer who lives way across town in the next community over. I used the google map thingy to check the traffic before leaving, and again to find the house without looking at a map while driving, texted the homeowner who then texted her neighbour to let me in, used the DeWalt construction app to convert the VESA metric specs to imperial, used the internet to confirm that the TV wasn't too heavy for the mount they bought, took a pic of the work done(for the customer and for my records), and took a pic of the bill for my accounting purposes.
Wow, great example. My iPhone case is effectively my wallet. :)

I haven't left that spinning plastic world yet. I've still got a whack of CDs to rip, and have a healthy vinyl collection.
I'll get there with the CDs, but no way am I ripping all that vinyl.
I bit the bullet for my CD collection a couple of years ago and cannot imagine returning. Getting an efficient tool like dbPowerAmp can certainly make it easier. I've begun the process for vinyl starting with releases simply unavailable in the digital world. I'm still experimenting with the process to get the best results. I look to a day where the space will potentially make a difference. Honestly, I just don't spin records like I once did.

Yet, (to boty's point) you did claim that OSX is Linux based.
No, that's not what I posted. Let's review again my comments:

"But macOS Sierra is still UNIX/Linux based"

Why? Because with OS-X, SCO Unix , Berkeley Unix, DG-UX, Red Hat Linux, or the Linux variant used in my Raspberry Pi (among many other derivative languages), grep, ls, su along with dozens of other commands do exactly the same thing. With all of these you will find /etc and /usr folders.

GMAFB.

Wow, great example. My iPhone case is effectively my wallet. :)

I bit the bullet for my CD collection a couple of years ago and cannot imagine returning. Getting an efficient tool like dbPowerAmp can certainly make it easier. I've begun the process for vinyl starting with releases simply unavailable in the digital world. I'm still experimenting with the process to get the best results. I look to a day where the space will potentially make a difference. Honestly, I just don't spin records like I once did.

Yeah, and that was only for that job.
I also noticed the downtown skyline was a little hazy, so I checked an air quality index app. Sure enough it was creeping into the nasty zone. My daughter has mild asthma, so I texted my wife to tell our daughter to not go too crazy running around at recess. I also checked my email and got a notice that I had holds ready at the library, and picked them up on the way home. When I got home I used an app to listen to some FLAC files on my network over my living room system, and did the same with some headphones before bed.
Oh, and that bill I texted? I got a message back that I had an e-transfer ready to deposit.
I didn't use the flashlight app, but I couldn't imagine not having that with me for work.

I look at ripping my whole collection as a bit daunting. I just peck away at it as I find the time. Often as little 'projects'.
I don't spin a lot of vinyl, so I could live without it if I had to. I just don't want to live without it. It's like having some nice Cubans in the humidor. I don't smoke one every day, but when I'm in the mood they're there for the moment.

Actually you did. Uhh, OK. Let's.....
Seems to me, et.al. that you are clearly stating here that OSX is Linux based.
I did. I allowed you ample opportunity to review and correct this largely erroneous claim. :)

"But macOS Sierra is still UNIX/Linux based"

I read it correctly. I suggest you need to take more care in what you write.

If you had said 'But macOS Sierra is still UNIX based', no-one would have objected. It was the addition of 'Linux' that people were saying is wrong (it is...).

BSD is a flavour of Unix.
System V is a flavour of Unix.
Linux is a flavour of Unix.

But BSD is not System V is not Linux; they are three distinct code bases.

OSX is based on BSD. It is not based on Linux.

Now if you'd said 'Android is based on Unix/Linux', that would have been correct...

"UNIX/Linux based". As a broad, but related family of operating systems.
"Broad" indeed. By such stretch & linage leap rationale, one may as well say that the Ford Maverick was based upon a Ford F-150 pickup. But that would be silly, yes. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom