Flouroscan? Beauty? Reliability?

pustelniakr said:
While the SX-D7000 is attractive (I'm looking for one myself), I believe you will be happier with a nice SA/TX-x800 combo, the 9800 being the TOTL for that line. The SX-D7000 is a bit on the late side, and if you look inside, you will see what I mean. Still very nice, but the recommended combo really would be nicer.

Sorry for my kibbitz. I just couldn't help myself.

Rich P

the SX-D7000 is practically identical to the SX-3900 but lacks a conventional tuner and has MC in capability, it also has 3 sets of speaker connections as opposed to the SX-3900's 2.

The SA-9800 internally looks like it could kick the shit out of both the SX-3900 and SX-D7000, and I get a feeling it'll push well above the rated 100wpc.

Basically, I want the SA-9800 for its performance, and the SX-D7000 just to have. (though I'd still use it!)

Last edited:
Pioneer color

You can thank the plastic bezel which gives the display its color. McIntosh blue is also from plastic. The display segments are nearly white light.

Fluroscans

I'm new to Pioneers Vintage gear, but I've caught the bug now and can't stop! :music:

I didnt realise that the Fluroscan display itself was white and that the sexy blue colour is a plastic filter in front(having not taken any of mine apart that much yet!).

My CT F650 Cassette display is dark blue, whilst both my SA5800 (my first vintage Pioneer, so my baby!) and my 'new' SA8800 both match each other in colour, but look quite abit lighter!

Can this plastic filter bit be re-coloured or could it be something else causing the colour difference? :scratch2:

Can I just say that everyone seems so friendly and helpful on here too! :tresbon: :D

The VFD Pioneer uses are early high quality single color units. Modern VCRs and other BPC appliances use a cheaper variety that also displays red. The brightness is not the same as the earlier NEC "FiPS" used by Pioneer. These two color displays will also get dim rather fast.

There are still companies making single color VFDs. My squeezebox network music player has a nice large VFD very similar in color and brightness to the Pioneer Flouroscan. I have been told the display is very expensive and takes a big chunk of the Squeezebox's price.

The cool thing about the Squeezebox is that it can display simple bitmapped graphics like analog VU meters and spectrum analizers. Blends very well with Silver Pioneer in my experience!

Last edited:
kavboi said:
I'm new to Pioneers Vintage gear, but I've caught the bug now and can't stop! :music:

I didnt realise that the Fluroscan display itself was white and that the sexy blue colour is a plastic filter in front(having not taken any of mine apart that much yet!).

My CT F650 Cassette display is dark blue, whilst both my SA5800 (my first vintage Pioneer, so my baby!) and my 'new' SA8800 both match each other in colour, but look quite abit lighter!

Can this plastic filter bit be re-coloured or could it be something else causing the colour difference? :scratch2:

Can I just say that everyone seems so friendly and helpful on here too! :tresbon: :D

Folks, The Pioneer fluoroscan displays are not white, but slightly greener than the blue color seen through the blue filter.

Just a slight correction...

Rich P

thedelihaus said:
I'm very taken by the beauty of this series of Pioneers. I find the build quality to be excellent, but was wondering if there's a concern of failure in regards to the flouroscan, and what life expectancy flouroscan has.

At http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57717 there is this post:

herbman1975 said:
I am new here as well, but I can go ahead and tell you that if you want to avoid future headaches, steer clear of the blue flouroscan displays. Granted, these units make up the majority of my system and look super cool, but if I had it to do all over again I would get Pioneer units with the analog needle type VU meters instead.

Here's why: The blue digital meters that look so cool are a vacum tube display. There is some sort of gas (I don't know what kind) encased in the tube that makes the display light up. Over time, these vacum tubes can develop small leaks. Once the leak starts, there is no way to stop it. The display will go dim at first, then completely burn out. There is no repair for this, and they ceased to manufacture these displays long ago.

I am well versed on this subject because last summer I came across a Pioneer SA-9800 integrated amp in a thrift store and snatched it up. I was elated when I got home and checked eBay and saw that one had recently sold for over $1000! After plugging it in, I noticed the display seemed kind of dim when compared to my Pioneer RG-2 processor. The amp has a switch to dim the display, so at first I thought that the switch might have been stuck in the dim position. I took it in to my tech, and he told me about the vacum leak problem. I spent about two weeks calling and e-mailing people around the WORLD trying to find a display, or someone who could prove my tech wrong. No luck. Now I am stuck with a kick-a$$ amp with no readout. I replaced it with a SA-8800 and it looks and functions good - for now.....

I also own a Pioneer CT-F900 cassette deck that suffered the same fate. Fortunately, I was able to acquire a display from the much-over priced Oaktree Enterprises in Colorado. You can buy an entire junk unit off eBay for the price he charges for one part.

If I could go back in time, I would just go with the analog VU meter units. I would assume they are easier to repair. It sucks to constantly worry about when the next display in your rig is going to fizzle out.

If you choose to ignore this advice and continue to seek out these types of units on eBay, be sure to ask the seller about the brightness of the display if you can't clearly see the degree of illumination in the item photo. I have seen several auctions with statements like "Functions perfect! Display slightly dim." What that translates to is: "In a year or two you won't be able to see the blue read-out because of a leaky vacum tube display."

I personally have not had any problem with my Pioneer flouroscans.

Last edited:
thedelihaus said:
I've got my eye on one piece- an rg-2 dynamic range expander.

foetusized said:
I hope to get the new belts on my Flouroscan CT-F615 this weekend, and have four Flouroscan amps and a RG-2.

I just picked up a RG-2 Friday as well... the processor and tape monitor buttons won't stay in after they're pressed.

If I hold them in, the function works... right now I have the processor switch "modified" to always stay on.

Just wondering if yours has/had the same problem.

Also on mine, the Flouroscan was intermittant which I traced back to a driver tranny that had came loose.

A little bit of solder and all was well! :thmbsp:

Does anyone know if parts are still available for this unit?

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited:
Siamac,

Gotta respect a man who takes his hobby to THAT level. That is DAMN impressive. :yes:

packrat said:
A bit unrelated, but what about the trim piece around the display? I recently got an SA-9800 and the chrome coating is rubbed off around display trim. I was surprised to see that this was plastic. Is this common or did someone clean it a bit too frequently? I was thinking of painting it, or looking into something to restore it - it looks pretty bad as-is.

The diplay is cool - and the log power scale means the meters are always moving, even at very low listening levels - the real bonus of this display in my opinion!

A bit late -- but let me suggest vinyl paint/dye. You can get it in silver - it actually soaks into the plastic and becomes part of it - unlike paint. It would be perfect for this. Mask it off and spray away.

dew.

dew042 said:
A bit late -- but let me suggest vinyl paint/dye. You can get it in silver - it actually soaks into the plastic and becomes part of it - unlike paint. It would be perfect for this. Mask it off and spray away.

dew.

Thanks for the advice - this display is the last piece of the restoration of my 9800. I've been looking around the auto-restoration places for what ever they would use to restore metalized plastic trim pieces. I'll look for this vinyl paint/dye stuff.

packrat said:
Thanks for the advice - this display is the last piece of the restoration of my 9800. I've been looking around the auto-restoration places for what ever they would use to restore metalized plastic trim pieces. I'll look for this vinyl paint/dye stuff.

Auto paint/supplies stores usually stock it.

dew.

Back
Top Bottom