Flouroscan? Beauty? Reliability?

I only have two Flouroscan bits, a CT-F600 cassette deck and SX-3700 receiver, both of which are in my alcove-off-the-bedroom system (driving Polk 7B's). I'd love more of it, esp. the separates. That 3700's a real corker, plays strong and has one heck of a tuner. Great little unit...

Todd in Beerbratistan

Gotta agree with ya, B3Nut, I have an SX-3700 that I absolutely love, plenty of power for most speakers, suprisingly good FM section, clean warm sound with good looks to boot! I'm a low budget guy, so I can't afford the Big n' Nasty Pioneer stuff, but even if I could afford an SX-1980, I would still keep this one set up somewhere in my home! It was one of my earliest "Vintage" receivers I bought, and my first Pioneer as well. Hoping to add some more flouroscan to the collection in the future!

I just acquired a SX-D7000 because the price was right. Also, how can you go wrong with the top of the line of pretty much any year?
But mine has no wood end caps. Can someone who has one handy describe what they're made of (solid wood, veneered ply, woodgrain?) and do some measuring? I'd like to DIY some. I'll probably use solid wood, no matter what the stock ones are made of, but it would be nice to know.
Are they bevelled?
And how are they connected - the four really long mounting screws at the corners?
Thanks for any info.

After just acquiring some fluoroscan stuff as well, A CT-F1250, CT-F900 and a SA-9800, I thought it was time to figure out some info on these displays...... Especcialy since the display in the CT-F900 and the SA-9800 are fully out...:tears: Even worse; when I got the SA-9800 the display was doing quite alright, then I used to play it once or twice, now it doesnt do anything anymore!! I'm trully very very sad about this!! It is such a beautifull amp, I would love to get her fully up to spec... I'm shure she has more issues which I can solve, but for now my interest is in the Fluoroscan, same for the CT-F900.. Does anyone out here has any idea where I could start looking to go figure out where the problem is located??:scratch2:

Regards,

Willem

jwfabrie said:
After just acquiring some fluoroscan stuff as well, A CT-F1250, CT-F900 and a SA-9800, I thought it was time to figure out some info on these displays...... Especcialy since the display in the CT-F900 and the SA-9800 are fully out...:tears: Even worse; when I got the SA-9800 the display was doing quite alright, then I used to play it once or twice, now it doesnt do anything anymore!! I'm trully very very sad about this!! It is such a beautifull amp, I would love to get her fully up to spec... I'm shure she has more issues which I can solve, but for now my interest is in the Fluoroscan, same for the CT-F900.. Does anyone out here has any idea where I could start looking to go figure out where the problem is located??:scratch2:

Regards,

Willem

Correction; The display of the SA-9800 is now on again............. This is really strange... I really dunno what happened but it works again:banana:

Now just the CT-F900..

I have several Pioneer Flouroscan pieces including a SA-9800, and SA-8800 and a SX-D7000 Receiver and a CTF-900 and a CTF-1250 Cassette decks. My Displays are all fairly bright, but I have seen some of them that dim slightly with age, but overall I would say they are very reliable and hold up well since they are not on all the time. Some of the equipment like the SA-9800 even have a switch to dim the display.

I will second what Rich said about the displays though they are a greenish blue without the dark blue lens over the top of them. I have taken many of them apart to clean the lens and the surrounding plastic.

The displays use some sort of a heater and then has a few chips to drive it in slices of a second. for units with a dimmer (3800/3900) the time slices are halved. I wuold check those power connections.

btw - I have an additional 3800 unit I could put on the sale forum if anyone needs it, I got it (paid too much) for a 3800 that didnt need it. oh well.

Thank you. I hope it is still a hobby and not a sickness or addiction??

LOL! An impressive endeavor, Simiac. You should open a museum with all your gear. Call it Pioneerhaus or Museum der Pioneers.

quaddriver said:
btw - I have an additional 3800 unit I could put on the sale forum if anyone needs it, I got it (paid too much) for a 3800 that didnt need it. oh well.

If only that was a 3900... :deal:

Some of my beautiful blue:

levisdeer142.jpg

levisdeer052.jpg

levisdeer038.jpg

I'm trying to get more. I think my wife wants a divorce.

I have the display and driver board from a CT-F650 that I found on the trash. It was SO beaten up that I decided to put it back on the trash, but not before I'd robbed the fluroscan from it. Took the power supply as well, so all it needs is an audio signal to make it do it's thing.

I'd love to try and make a fluroscan CD player in the style of those old Pioneer units. I wonder if anyone can custom make a front panel in brush aluminum and put the same typeface lettering on it. I'd use the guts of a more modern CD player that use a fluorescent display, put said display behind some blue gel, and use the display mentioned above.

I have the display and driver board from a CT-F650 that I found on the trash. It was SO beaten up that I decided to put it back on the trash, but not before I'd robbed the fluroscan from it. Took the power supply as well, so all it needs is an audio signal to make it do it's thing.

I'd love to try and make a fluroscan CD player in the style of those old Pioneer units. I wonder if anyone can custom make a front panel in brush aluminum and put the same typeface lettering on it. I'd use the guts of a more modern CD player that use a fluorescent display, put said display behind some blue gel, and use the display mentioned above.

The best match I have found in 2 years of searching is the Music Hall CD25.2. Simple brushed aluminum front panel and a blue display.

Attachments

• cd25.jpg
    cd25.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 20
Finally snagged an SX-3800 yesterday. I'd gotten the SA-8800 earlier in the day (both from the auction site & both have issues). Wife is not really happy, though I am. I will take before and after pics when they get here. The SA-8800 doesn't have a cover (I'm really praying about the packing/shipping on this), but seller claims aside from the cosmetic aspects, it's working well. The 3800 seller said it powers up, but no audio output, however, the photo of the back panel showed missing pre in/out jumpers. I just happen to have a spare set. I'll keep you guys posted........

Finally snagged an SX-3800 yesterday. I'd gotten the SA-8800 earlier in the day (both from the auction site & both have issues). Wife is not really happy, though I am. I will take before and after pics when they get here. The SA-8800 doesn't have a cover (I'm really praying about the packing/shipping on this), but seller claims aside from the cosmetic aspects, it's working well. The 3800 seller said it powers up, but no audio output, however, the photo of the back panel showed missing pre in/out jumpers. I just happen to have a spare set. I'll keep you guys posted........

Nice... good luck on those 2 units. Both will be great to have when restored/reworked. They should correspond nicely as far as working on them, as they are similar in design as far as the amp section of the SX-3800 and the 8800. Both Non-Switching I believe...

Nice... good luck on those 2 units. Both will be great to have when restored/reworked. They should correspond nicely as far as working on them, as they are similar in design as far as the amp section of the SX-3800 and the 8800. Both Non-Switching I believe...

I believe you are right on the non-switching. I absolutely love the sound of the non-switching units. I tell my wife I'm going to flip these, but I know I'll wind up keeping them.............Her pic is in my signature and that's her expression when she finds out I've acquired more fluro or speakers. You should have seen her when I got my Klipsch Heresys....he, he

Back
Top Bottom