Flying to China/South Korea in two days... any suggestions?

dudes, sorry - I was wrong there are 700 million, all the young ones work at the MASSIVE
factories in shenzhen.

Rumor has it that there are over one million workers building apple products in SZ.

I smell trample...

for the OP: if you fly United they have AC power under the seats. check the airline for
"bennies" - or Flyertalk.com for major info on travelling/flying.

+1 on the Soju warning. That stuff will knock you right on your ass, believe me. There are t-shirts for sale in Itaewon that display the several stages of Soju, and my feeling is they understated most of them.

Same for rocket fuel local liquor in Chinese karaoke hotels. If it smells like cheap peach brandy, run.

Also never try and out-drink Mama-san at those places; it'll end badly and you'll never regain face.

Never flown in to Shenzhen, always went to HK first (other business there, or trade shows) and then took the turbocat to Shenzhen Airport. Costs a little more but compared to the zoo at Customs/Immigration at the Shenzhen train station, the "Airport" (not sure why they call it that given you're getting off a boat there) scene is quiet, mellow & fast and the boat ride is interesting too, as long as it doesn't suck up a tree and get disabled. You won't run into either of those two kinds of drama flying in, though.

John

ahahah very cool yeah I'll be meeting with a lot of factories and component vendors (I'm in the consumer electronics toy industry) so it's likely there will be ... uhhh *some* alcohol. I'm really hoping not too much man I can't party like I could when I was 25.

If your going to be drinking with Asians make sure eat allot of food.....rice absorbs alcohol! I've also been to Shanghai many times. To get the best deal act like you can't make your mind up and ask allot of questions about their product. Just mentioning other companies and what they have in comparison drives the price down.

Well I made it back safely. Utterly awe-inspiring trip. Got to visit one of my old power supply vendors, meet a ton of the factories that make our current stuff, and talk to a few CEOs of some robotics companies about sensor and servo tech.

Managed to hit Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Xiamen in China and Seoul in South Korea. Turns out we actually have a very large 3 story warehouse in Xiamen (wasn't even aware of this, I thought it was just an office) that we use to stage some production stuff and handle shipment logistics. The funniest part is I didn't have any indigestion until the flight back landing in Seattle and having some calamari. Go figure.

Driving was a bit of an experience but I actually oddly felt safer in China than I do in a lot of places say in the bay area. People are simply more aware and react much more predictably even though every traffic control device is basically seen as a suggestion.

driving in asia is a lot different than anywhere else in the world. we use horns
to alert others of impending danger - they use horns to signal everyone where
they are.

You may want to check out "Travel Advisor" to get some of the more up to date info, taking into consideration the OVERALL picture of the airlines.

Q

Back
Top Bottom