FM Signal/Sweep Generator Availability

71R/T

I am looking for a decent FM signal/sweep generator as I want to start aligning tuners. The Ebay prices are ridiculously high for units that are "untested", "powers on only", and without test leads. There is a Sencore SG-165 for $560. This is just insane. Are there any recommendations on where to look?

I got my SG-165 at a London Vintage Radio Club meeting (in London Ontario, not the UK). It was $10 but someone had butchered the output meter wiring for one channel and three transistors were dead, primarily because they are 12 volt transistors being run off a 12 volt regulator and the slightest spike killed them. Working on an SG-165 is like building a ship in a bottle but it can be done if you follow some of the guides in various places on the net. Craigslist and Kijiji are good sales sites in Canada but I don't know if you have Kijiji in NC.

Even though I got it running for under $10 in parts, be aware that R365, the 390 ohm source resistor for the output buffer is hopelessly underrated at a quarter watt and should be 2 watts. This all shows up in some posts (mostly by me) in:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php

You can find them through Google.

To properly align a FM stereo tuner you need at least a FM SG with int/ext stereo modulation and a THD/fft analyzer.
Best to say what types of FM tuners/models you plan on aligning as that may help determine the quality of equipment you need?
FYI, I use a HP 8656B,11715A, 3325A, 8904A, Amber 3501
Good luck in your search. Think/look at what one of these cost new in the day. I bought all of the above on where else :)

If it is HiFi, medium to high end, the FM signal generator needed to align it, needs to be higher end than what can align ordinary tuners and receivers. Also, calibrated within the last 5-10 years is a plus.

Back
Top Bottom