Foam surrounds on rubber/plastic surround woofers (KV-4)? SOLVED

Johnny_Law

AK Member
Subscriber
EDIT: SOLVED using a rubber surround off eBay! I just measured the surround and found the closest match on eBay, from China, worked perfectly. Cost a dollar or two. Woo!

I've had this KV-4 center channel hanging around my garage for a while. It uses K-1035-KN 8" woofers which came with plastic surrounds. One of them has a torn surround. Is this serviceable with a new plastic surround? Is there a standard way to repair it, maybe patching in new plastic? If not, can I replace this with foam? Or should I look for a new woofer because I'm hosed?

I can take pics later but it's pretty self-explanatory. Just a split plastic surround.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:
If it comes to it, I rebuild some F-1s for a friend a few months ago. Was pleasantly pleased that the 6.5 inch woofers were less than 40.00$ each, new from Klipsch. Called then up, had them three days later. Realize you need 8 inch drivers, still might be worth a phone call.

Here are some pics:

XSqvSfrl.jpg

54xCBMBl.jpg

And huh, didn't even think to call Klipsch! Thanks for the tip!

You can probably refoam it. Check on line (I get a lot from ebay "Springfiled Speaker") Probably want to refoam both to keep them similar. here's a link to get you close. You'll have to measure the cone diameter and overall diameter etc. I've gone a lot of Large Advents and they sound good as new. make sure you get the right adhesive for what looks like a poly cone. Good luck

https://www.springfieldspeakerrepair.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2A8-Klipsch

Definitely too far gone to repair. If it was a small split you could seal it with RTV but that looks cracked all the way around.

Rick Cobb knows his surrounds pretty well too.

Back
Top Bottom