Forte II passive radiator repair question

Bub

Yo dudes.

I scored a free pair of Forte II's (I know, right?!) that are in nice shape except for a small hole in the surround on one of the PR's.

My question is, what material and glue should I use to patch it up?

Thanks in advance.

Pics would be good. The surround on these is a hard place to make a lasting repair. I recently reconed a couple of these passives, so I can help, but I think we need to get an idea of the extent of the damage.

Ordinarily, I would recommend tissue or cigarette paper with watered down white glue brushed on in layers to repair the paper cone, but it gets a bit trickier out towards the edge.

I can get pics when I escape the gulag (get home from work). But it's about an inch or 2 right at the inner edge of the surround where it's glued to the cone.

If it were mine, I would find a thin piece of black/dark gray cloth and cut it so it fits the surround lip in the cone and just barely over the rib(s) in the remaining surround (skinny at the bottom, wider at the top). Then, I'd literally saturate it with something like Aleene's tacky glue, gently put it in place, and let it dry. That would at least get you by until you get around to buying new surrounds.

new from klipsch are reasonable $$.
KD15

I'm pretty sure that well has run dry Dingman.

You might be able to get by with the cloth/aleenes glue for a while. I don't know about getting new surrounds, but I know simply speakers has recone kits for the KD15 passives. That's a tough spot for a lasting repair.

I'm pretty sure that well has run dry Dingman.

You might be able to get by with the cloth/aleenes glue for a while. I don't know about getting new surrounds, but I know simply speakers has recone kits for the KD15 passives. That's a tough spot for a lasting repair.

You are correct, I'm sure - It's been over a decade since I had replaced a set, in Ch2's.

Quick google looks like the KD15 might be available again, as it's what's used in the Forte3's. Klipsch will have to make it available to support the product. Someone needs to call and see, I have another friend with Ch2's in need of a pair.

You are correct, I'm sure - It's been over a decade since I had replaced a set, in Ch2's.

Quick google looks like the KD15 might be available again, as it's what's used in the Forte3's. Klipsch will have to make it available to support the product. Someone needs to call and see, I have another friend with Ch2's in need of a pair.

That's awesome. I could have waited a couple weeks and not had to recone mine......story of my life. When the 3's came out, I asked a pal who works at Voxx and he told me they wouldn't fit. I'm glad Klipsch is supporting these again!

I saw this thread on the Klipsch forum saying that you can get them for $80 a pop. Somebody got 2 for $90. Cheaper than the recone kits, and a hell of a lot less work.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/174795-wtb-kd-15/

It will probably be cheaper to order a replacement from Klipsch, than having an expert perform the service.. Labor rates aren't cheap anymore for first class work and you have to consider shipping both ways.too. You could probably get a replacement surround from Midwestern speaker repair and the proper cement. Actually passive radiators are harder to repair than woofers.

Hey @Bub what did you end up doing? I called Klipsch the other day and they want 149.99 each for these passive radiators. That’s a bit much.
@Speedbump71 , do you still have yours after doing the recone? Did you have any problems getting the weight in the right spot when transferring from the old?

thanks in advance!

Hey @Bub what did you end up doing? I called Klipsch the other day and they want 149.99 each for these passive radiators. That’s a bit much.
@Speedbump71 , do you still have yours after doing the recone? Did you have any problems getting the weight in the right spot when transferring from the old?

thanks in advance!

No problems getting the weight in the right spot. Search for my thread on reconing them and you will see what I did.

I sent those Fortes along a year or so ago.

Back
Top Bottom