Forte Model 2 pre-amp

Tedrick

Infinity-phile
Subscriber
Scored this preamp on the 'Bay last week. It should be here later this week. I'm really looking forward to comparing this to the Adcom SLC-505 passive pre, and comparing the phono section of this Nelson Pass design to the Musical Fidelity set-up I'm using now.

Anybody else using this or any other Forte pre-amp?

Tedrick said:
Scored this preamp on the 'Bay last week. It should be here later this week. I'm really looking forward to comparing this to the Adcom SLC-505 passive pre, and comparing the phono section of this Nelson Pass design to the Musical Fidelity set-up I'm using now.

Tedrick, are you out there??? I am picking up a Forte 2 pre with Vintage Audio (Forte cervice center) cap and diode upgrades, and am anxious to hear it. I have a Krell KSP 7B, which is way more expensive, but both are class A with seperate supplies, so it will be fun to compare and see if the Krell name is worth the extra bucks.

mywifespissed said:
Tedrick, are you out there??? I am picking up a Forte 2 pre with Vintage Audio (Forte cervice center) cap and diode upgrades, and am anxious to hear it. I have a Krell KSP 7B, which is way more expensive, but both are class A with seperate supplies, so it will be fun to compare and see if the Krell name is worth the extra bucks.
Present and accounted for :D . I'm liking the Forte 2 so far. I saw that one for sale and the upgrades look to be pretty nice, so I'm glad an AKer got it. I haven't had a chance to try out the phono pre-amp section of mine yet, but the rest is pretty darn nice. Look forward to your comments.

Opps...I forgot to mention I have the Forte Model One amp and haven't tried it out yet. My Soundcraftsmen A5002 That I bought in January of 1988 is still serving me well.

The Forte 2 is excellent for the $340 I paid for it. Light and puny power supply, but the preamp circuitry is minimal compared to my Krell. Bass seems a bit exaggerated. Vibrant and wide soundstage. Great seperation of insturments. It is surprisingly close to the Krell (haven't had much time for a lot of A/B). This Forte has the Blackgate cap upgrade. Whatever that means.

bumping this thread after 10 years

I just found a really nice one in the record store, haven't hooked it up yet but the power light comes on.

Anyway, it's been 10 years now and I see this preamp is still in your main system. You also have had time to use some nice vinyl front end components with it. Can you give me a bit of a review?

I just found a really nice one in the record store, haven't hooked it up yet but the power light comes on.

Anyway, it's been 10 years now and I see this preamp is still in your main system. You also have had time to use some nice vinyl front end components with it. Can you give me a bit of a review?

I use a Forte Model 3 amp in my main system and like it a lot.

I inquired with an ex-Threshold/Forte engineer and he said the Model 2 (versus the later Models 40 and 44/45) uses op amps and isn't quite as musically detailed as the later preamps.

Might be worth opening it up and seeing which opamps they used. Might be an opportunity to replace the old op amps with newer ones to play around with the sound (like tube rolling). I'm sure it sounds really good in its original state, but it's an option and replacing the old ones with sockets will allow you to roll new ones in and out easily.

The Model 2 continues to deliver the goods in my system. To me, the Model 2 never calls attention to itself (as a good preamp should), it just gets out of the way of the music. In my systems, it has been dead quiet, and has a clean, natural sound that doesn't emphasize or de-emphasize any particular frequencies. The Model 2 has a sweet treble with very good detail rendition - not sweet as in tubes, but sweet as in natural edges and no harshness. Bass is solid and extended. I re-read my original post and am somewhat embarrassed to say that I still haven't tried the phono section in this preamp....oh well, maybe one of these days. Overall, the highest praise I can give the Model 2 is this: I've got 2 other excellent preamps in the house (Adcom GFP-750 and McCormack TLC-1), and every time I get the urge to swap out the Model 2, I give it a listen and decide to wait a while. At this point, I've come to the conclusion that if I ever replace the Model 2, it will be to move up to a Pass Labs X-1 or X-2.5.

I use a Forte Model 3 amp in my main system and like it a lot.

I inquired with an ex-Threshold/Forte engineer and he said the Model 2 (versus the later Models 40 and 44/45) uses op amps and isn't quite as musically detailed as the later preamps.

Might be worth opening it up and seeing which opamps they used. Might be an opportunity to replace the old op amps with newer ones to play around with the sound (like tube rolling). I'm sure it sounds really good in its original state, but it's an option and replacing the old ones with sockets will allow you to roll new ones in and out easily.
I came across a thread on AK last week regarding opamp upgrades for the Model 2 here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....kos-labs-ss3601-op-amps.750697/#post-10209094. Certainly something to chew on.

The Model 2 continues to deliver the goods in my system. To me, the Model 2 never calls attention to itself (as a good preamp should), it just gets out of the way of the music. In my systems, it has been dead quiet, and has a clean, natural sound that doesn't emphasize or de-emphasize any particular frequencies. The Model 2 has a sweet treble with very good detail rendition - not sweet as in tubes, but sweet as in natural edges and no harshness. Bass is solid and extended. I re-read my original post and am somewhat embarrassed to say that I still haven't tried the phono section in this preamp....oh well, maybe one of these days. Overall, the highest praise I can give the Model 2 is this: I've got 2 other excellent preamps in the house (Adcom GFP-750 and McCormack TLC-1), and every time I get the urge to swap out the Model 2, I give it a listen and decide to wait a while. At this point, I've come to the conclusion that if I ever replace the Model 2, it will be to move up to a Pass Labs X-1 or X-2.5.

I came across a thread on AK last week regarding opamp upgrades for the Model 2 here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....kos-labs-ss3601-op-amps.750697/#post-10209094. Certainly something to chew on.

Ya, that was my post. Still loving the Model 2 with the Sparkos op amps. I have the Sparkos op amps in the line section and the phono section. One thing that you need to do (and I havn't' done yet) is jumper pin 1 and 8 (according to Mr. Sparks himself) as there is a good amount of "bump" when switching inputs or using the volulme control. Mr. Sparks says that this will fix the bump - I just havn't had the pre out of my rack since he sent me that e-mail. Oh, and the Sparkos "opens" it up and improves the transparency to where you won't notice the bass being out of balance after you make the change. I've always liked the "warm" bass of the Model 2, but I notice that the OP found it to be exaggerated a bit. In stock form I could possibly see that perception being formed, but not with the Sparkos' in the op amp sockets.

Some photos, and it looks like I got to open it again and get a good pic of the little amps now that I know what they are.

IMG_0655.jpg IMG_0656.jpg IMG_0657.jpg IMG_0659.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 19
Actually it looks like you can read them in the photos, what are they?

In the 3rd pic of your last post with pics, I see a part# LT1028.

On TI’s website, they address opamp upgrades with warnings, etc. But they do have a specific upgrade for the LT1028 listed.

https://e2e.ti.com/support/amplifie...gn_notes/upgrading-op-amps-in-audio-equipment

Good news is they appear to be socketed already, so swapping should be easy, physically. But I would do a bit more study beforehand to try and find a schematic and also see what those trim pots next to the opamps do.

How does it sounds now and have you compared it directly to any other preamp you have?

Well dammit, time to bump this thread again. I'm just home and cruising my local C-list and there's one for sale. Looks like the fella has changed all the caps to ones I read about highly regarded here, or at least mentioned a lot.

I'm really, really happy with my Symphony & Upscale tubes inside, I just don't see it being bested by much for what it is with the Krell and Ren 90's.

What's intriguing to me is it runs in pure class A, like the Krell KSA 80 I'm using, I can't help but think maybe it's a better match....I just don't know. The asking price is fair I guess for it being...or having nicer caps and it looks like a fresh done deal.

What to do....
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/forte-audio-model-2-class/6587374303.html
Ok, here it is. What say you 427 & Tedrick

Last edited:
Well dammit, time to bump this thread again. I'm just home and cruising my local C-list and there's one for sale. Looks like the fella has changed all the caps to ones I read about highly regarded here, or at least mentioned a lot.

I'm really, really happy with my Symphony & Upscale tubes inside, I just don't see it being bested by much for what it is with the Krell and Ren 90's.

What's intriguing to me is it runs in pure class A, like the Krell KSA 80 I'm using, I can't help but think maybe it's a better match....I just don't know. The asking price is fair I guess for it being...or having nicer caps and it looks like a fresh done deal.

What to do....
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/forte-audio-model-2-class/6587374303.html
Ok, here it is. What say you 427 & Tedrick

You know what to do.

Ahhhh, I'm telling you this damn hobby is to much sometimes. I'm really trying to settle in here with what I have. Honestly I almost popped on an Krell...mmmm believe it was a kst, could be wrong at more than double the asking price here. Sheeeesh.

Ahhhh, I'm telling you this damn hobby is to much sometimes. I'm really trying to settle in here with what I have. Honestly I almost popped on an Krell...mmmm believe it was a kst, could be wrong at more than double the asking price here. Sheeeesh.

I bought like... 90lbs of amps. This week. Don't look to me for sympathy, only understanding. ;)

Back
Top Bottom