Found: Harman Kardon 430 Twin in a Barn!

audiojones

Jonesin' for audio
Subscriber
Amongst the pile of unwanted vintage electronics growing moldy in my freinds barn was this nice Harman Kardon 430 Twin Powered receiver. He's moving soon and doesn't have the room or time for this stuff so he gave some of it to me in return for repairing a few items for him. This HK 430 was filthy and starting to grow hair, and all of the switches were scratchy and cutting out. It's kind of odd, but every single 6 volt fuse lamp was burned out - talk about a "blackout dial"...I couldn't see a thing when it was on.

Anyway, I spent all day cleaning the controls with contact cleaner and compressed air, thoroughly cleaned out the insides, pulled the knobs and scrubbed them, cleaned and polished the faceplate & cabinet and replaced all of the bulbs. It now looks as good as it sounds - and boy do these HK receivers sound good! I don't know what their secret is but they really have that special something. The HK 430 Twin Powered is a dual power supplied 30 watt per channel receiver and soundwise it's right up there with the Marantz 2230 in my opinion. I like the twin power supplies and the circuit layout - it's easy to work on, and judging from the sound quality it's very well designed.

Here are some shots of it (sorry for the lousy picture quality) - a nudie, front and back, and driving a pair of Henry's "The Smaller Advent" speakers that I just got done refoaming. The Smaller Advents and the HK 430 Twin are a great combination - lots of bottom end and great definition in the highs. :music:

*ADD-ON* - I just wanted to mention that The Smaller Advent speakers pictured are dated Nov. 1974 and that they have pink fiberglass in them. I think '74 is pretty early for the smalls, so pink fiberglass as opposed to foam blocks seems to make sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Great receiver...I'm listening to one now. I'm not so sure it doesn't sound better than the 730, as long as you're not pushing it too hard. Sweet sounding 25 wpc...nice rescue!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! There are a couple of other nice pieces in the barn pile that I'll be fixing up in the coming months when I get time - I'll post some pics when I do. I've fixed up and returned a Realistic STA-82 receiver (surprisingly great sounding little unit) and a very old Kenwood receiver that he wanted (can't remember the number, but very handsome looking piece). Most of the old reel to reel decks and turntables are bottom of the line stuff not worth trying to get parts for, plus some are really damaged from water and barn mice. I'm glad the HK didn't get ruined by the barn storage!

I love Harmon/Kardon recievers. I have a 330 B. And you are right they are as good (if not better) than Marantz recievers. People would do well to buy all the H/K recievers before prices go up on them.............:thmbsp:

I found a 730 with a case today. The veneer was very dry with little white water rings. About 30 minutes with some Howards Restor a Finish and Feed n Wax and it cleaned up nice. My 430 is going into it...

Last edited:
I found a 730/430 case today. Very dry with little white water rings. About 30 minutes with some Howards Restor a Finish and Feed n Wax and it cleaned up nice. My 430 is going into it...

mcp1 - I never even knew that HK made a wooden case for these receivers - in fact while I was cleaning up that HK-430 I was wondering why HK never make a wooden case for it since it's so classy looking. I even went so far as to take measurements to loosely plan out a wooden case (that I'm sure I would never get around to building). Can't believe you found one - and in decent condition, too! You did a nice job of restoring it, I can't see any water rings at all. I've gotta get me some of that restore-a-finish stuff.

Could you post some photos when your 430 is in there? I'd really like to see what an HK receiver looks like surrounded by wood instead of the industrial looking gray cover.

mcp1 - I never even knew that HK made a wooden case for these receivers - in fact while I was cleaning up that HK-430 I was wondering why HK never make a wooden case for it since it's so classy looking. I even went so far as to take measurements to loosely plan out a wooden case (that I'm sure I would never get around to building). Can't believe you found one - and in decent condition, too! You did a nice job of restoring it, I can't see any water rings at all. I've gotta get me some of that restore-a-finish stuff.

Could you post some photos when your 430 is in there? I'd really like to see what an HK receiver looks like surrounded by wood instead of the industrial looking gray cover.

This is the first time I'd ever seen a case for an x30 receiver myself. The black vinyl cover on the 730 is absolutely pristine, which leads me to believe it was inside the wood case its entire life. Usually, those vinyl top covers are pretty beat up.

If I have time tonight, I'll put either the 430 or 730 in the case and snap a photo. I need to replace all the lamps in the 430, so you won't get the full effect, but it will give you an idea...

Here is a photo of the 730 in the case. Having just installed this for the 1st time, I'm now not totally convinced this case was made by H/K. I do believe the 730 spent it's whole life in this case, but I'm not sure of the origin. The rear of the 730 sticks out the back of the case by about 1/2"...a pretty nice fit otherwise, though.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the 730 in the case. Having just installed this for the 1st time, I'm now not totally convinced this case was made by H/K. I do believe the 730 spent it's whole life in this case, but I'm not sure of the origin. The rear of the 730 sticks out the back of the case by about 1/2"...a pretty nice fit otherwise, though.

That's beautiful :drool:. If that case wasn't made for the 430/730 you sure wouldn't know it by looking at the front. I'm surprised at how well the case fits to the chassis, since there is no lip on the front of the receiver like the Marantz, McIntosh, Fisher and other receivers with case options. Nice!

That's beautiful :drool:. If that case wasn't made for the 430/730 you sure wouldn't know it by looking at the front. I'm surprised at how well the case fits to the chassis, since there is no lip on the front of the receiver like the Marantz, McIntosh, Fisher and other receivers with case options. Nice!

I wonder if the retailer, back in the 70's, carried another line that, coincidentally, made cases that fit the H/K?

Apparently the layer of dirt and mold preserved it to a certain extent since it looks quite nice now. Those are really nice receivers.

Nice 430. I've got two of them. They do sound nice.
I plan on giving one to each of my two children for their bedrooms. Ages of kids are 2 1/2 and 6. Can't start 'em too young with vintage gear. They'll each get a pair of Smaller Advents I have in storage, also. OTOH, perhaps I should sell them, as the kids will likely prefer more modern gear!

Back
Top Bottom