Found some RF7’s and other goodies

Rivercat

So I figured I’d share my recent acquisition.
I just picked up a pair of RF7’s, a RSW15, RC7 and an Onkyo Receiver. All for $450, and $50 of that was me paying the guy to hold on to them for 3 weeks before I could pick them up.

The RF7’s are in good, not great shape. Some surface scratches on the cabinets, some dimples in the dust caps, one prominent dent in the copper part of one of the drivers and the grills have some snags in them.
The plan is to lightly sand these down, re-stain them, work on popping the dust caps out and they’ll be pretty nice. Then maybe just keep an eye out for grills and a new driver that are in better condition, but that’s not my top priority.

The RSW15 is in very good shape. Some surface scratches in the wood, but they’re minor and everything else is good. A light sanding and re-stain and it should look like new.

The RC7 is.... rough. Some serious gouges in the wood, front corner of the black faceplate is chipped off and one driver is jacked. I already bought a driver off of eBay to replace that. And I plan on doing a light sand and re-stain on this too so they all match. My hope is that this one will be decent when it’s done. Definitely won’t be mint condition, but shouldn’t be too bad either.

I’ll post some pictures later (when I’m not at work) and then try to post a few pictures of the “restoration”.
I know the reference series isn’t like the heritage series as far as restoring stuff, but I figured this was still a hell of a deal and something I’m excited to tackle and see how it turns out.

Any feedback or recommendations on things to do, watch for, etc are welcome. And anyone that’s done similar stuff, I’d love to see that too!

Sounds like you got my exact system, except I have 2 pair of the RF7s.

You got a fantastic deal! I bought mine all new from a local retailer but paid well below the MSRP.

I had a couple of the drivers replaced under warranty and had to get the amp in the RSW15 rebuilt but I love this setup.

I kind of forgot I started this thread. Might be time for an update.

I refinished everything. It all turned out pretty good actually. Even the RC7 is better than I thought. The only problem with it is that I sanded a bit too much and it shows. All of the scratches in the RSW15 and RF7’s came out though. I haven’t been able to pop out the dust caps either, that’s a little harder than I anticipated, but if I’m being honest, I haven’t tried too hard yet, they’re just in my listening room and sound great, so the caps haven’t been a huge deal yet.

First, the before pictures:

M9FZKoJ.jpg

YsNEFxZ.jpg

dGYGwkW.jpg

8yJZLoH.jpg

L2LCsCP.jpg

zYBjgSg.jpg

DedCtlF.jpg

3lljAR7.jpg

r9zHevX.jpg
orW2EfU.jpg

7kQhrlc.jpg

The RSW15 is the best piece. My dad is the lucky recipient of this one at the moment. I literally have no space to use this right now, and my dad has a great setup where it has a place. He has a pair of La Scala’s and RC62 center in the basement for movies and football, so this fits right in. I’ll take it back whenever we move into a new place that I can actually utilize it.

It was in the best condition to begin with and really look good after the refinishing:
KQCFE9q.jpg

fO15Q94.jpg

Jzp2PQ0.jpg

kIbuXzb.jpg

WYU6Mn7.jpg

Last edited:
I frankly didn’t have high hopes for the RC7 due to the condition it started in.

I was able to find a replacement driver for $60 and then just painted the front chipped sections black, so from a distance it looks good, but up close you can still see it’s chipped. If I could find a good replacement grill, problem would be solved.

GlzAO0e.jpg

This is the top where you can see I sanded a bit too much. Kind of hard not to do with how deep those gouges were.
OKJBF1k.jpg

ENesSdZ.jpg

iadCgUF.jpg

Unfortunately the bottom is what turned out the best:
FC6DE70.jpg

And the RF7’s. This is really the reason I bought the whole setup, I really just wanted these. Overall I’m very happy with how they turned out. I’d really love to find some grills and they’d look near mint. The pushed in dust caps are annoying to see, but the speakers sound great,
My wife might even let me put them out in our living room for the main system if they had nice grills on them :).

N1U3v1T.jpg

DlzxDF3.jpg

Asxn7MX.jpg

B2pewxe.jpg

L3ItiMZ.jpg

ObysCW2.jpg

Here you can see the dimpled dust caps:
ZZyls5E.jpg

cGDIEf4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice "steel". I have a similar setup except my sub is an SVS and my speakers are black and I have the RS-7's.

You might consider staining your center channel black as it would hide patch work better.

I also upgraded the caps in my RF-7's and RC-7 due to the age and cheap caps that Klipsch uses. I couldn't be happier unless I had a pair of Klipschorns.

Back
Top Bottom