Frank Zappa in memoriam... 25 years ago...

I listen to his music at least once in a week these days. Bought my first FZ album, “Freak Out”, when I was in high school in the 60s - I’ll spin that today. Thanks for posting.

Hm, thanks for posting this noet Chris, think I'll play s.t. in honor of FZ. Now, should I play s.t. by FZ and/or s.t. FZ enjoyed hearing, e.g., Philosophy Of The World (The Shaggs, 1969)? I think doing both is most fitting.

I'll start with The Shaggs in a few minutes, then spin a nice (long) FZ ROIO @ the afternoon-early evening, most likely on of the treasured performances he & the boys gave @ NYC, where FZ performances always seemed to be possessed of an "extra sharp" dimension.

Now playing for FZ:

The Shaggs
Philosophy Of The World
(Third World, 1969)

* In honour of the 25th anniversary of the passing of FZ: b. December 21, 1940; d. December 4, 1993. Zappa claimed this to be among his favourite recordings.

In an interview with George Duke, George thought Frank knew he didn't have a lot of time on Earth, and he, (Frank) put out as much music and media as possible.
I'm sure glad he did. Instead of playing Zappa today, I'll light a Winston, and have a cup of coffee.

^^^^^^
bc7ad3c9110ba850c42436b8519522de--frank-zappa-bona.jpg

I had a roommate in college that was into Zappa and had several albums. Although I appreciated the talent, I did not care to listen to him, but my roommate was persistent in spinning him on a regular basis. Slowly he grew on me until the point I must say I actually enjoyed much of his stuff. The man’s musical style can certainly grow on you!

Good reminder to get that prostate checked.

I don’t know the particulars of his case, but it is very likely he could still be alive today with earlier treatment.

From my readings, he had trouble going to the toilet, thus the song, "Why Does it Hurt When I Pee". His prostrate was overlooked during tests.

Nice to see that the Zappa community at AudioKarma is such a lively one, thank you for your participation in this thread. Once I was an active member at www.zappateers.com but I feel much more comfortable in here talking about Frank and his music.

Chris

From my readings, he had trouble going to the toilet, thus the song, "Why Does it Hurt When I Pee". His prostrate was overlooked during tests.
I'm pretty sure that one was about getting the clap, but whatever.

I remember reading an interview with FZ shortly after he was diagnosed, and he was pissed because he had known there was something wrong with him but the doctors just wouldn't listen and kept telling him he was fine.

Stupid doctors.

Nice to see that the Zappa community at AudioKarma is such a lively one, thank you for your participation in this thread. Once I was an active member at www.zappateers.com but I feel much more comfortable in here talking about Frank and his music.

Chris

As was I, many moons ago, Chris. Did find & grab, over several years, a helluva lotta great FZ and FZ-related ROIOs @ zappateers. Probably 300-400 concerts, "live" comps, unreleased studio material, etc. grabbed quite a lot of material by The Captain, too.

Back
Top Bottom