FrankenAdvents

mmcc

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm causally looking around for a pair of "The Advent Loudspeakers" with an A3 serial number to match a pair I already have so I can try out stacking.

I found a pair on one of the classifieds apps not far, and I asked for a picture with the covers removed so I could see what the surrounds on the woofer looked like. Here is the picture:

advent.jpg

Egad!

"While we're at it, let's get rid of that troublesome foam. Who needs it?"
:)

It is really too bad. The cabinets and covers look to be in pretty decent shape, and would have matched the ones I have very nicely.

:( You'd think they would have at least done mirror imaging while they're hacking up the cabinet. :biggrin:

Those are great examples of the latest style of OS* speakers!!!

[*OS = open surround] :rflmao:

Considering the tool used (butter knife) to remove the grills...
That's actually my standard tool for removing the grills on my advents :)

My fingernails are lacking, and It seems less likely to cause damage than a screwdriver.

That was their second set. This is how someone fit a woofer replacement. Cut to mount the woofer from the rear. To large to front mount.

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 58
That's actually my standard tool for removing the grills on my advents :)

My fingernails are lacking, and It seems less likely to cause damage than a screwdriver.

I was looking at a pair of Advents at an antique mall one time and I wanted to check out the drivers. Of course I found a butter knife in a nearby booth!

Well, those woofers look original at least! With luck the voice coils won't be fried. Well worth $10 and a 5 minute drive. Stop for ice cream on the way and make a half hour out of it!

Well, those woofers look original at least! With luck the voice coils won't be fried. Well worth $10 and a 5 minute drive. Stop for ice cream on the way and make a half hour out of it!

Well, they are asking $100 and it is more like an hour drive. And I'm trying to lose a few pounds. All in all, I'm giving them a hard pass :)

I once had eight sets of large advents. All original drivers. Double stacking was amazing. My original 70's set, a friend's quadraphonic setup and his mother's set. I liked the real wood beveled edge series. The utility cabinet is ugly.

I once had eight sets of large advents. All original drivers. Double stacking was amazing. My original 70's set, a friend's quadraphonic setup and his mother's set. I liked the real wood beveled edge series. The utility cabinet is ugly.

8 sets (16 speakers) or 8 speakers?

I completely agree about the cabinets - my pair are the pretty ones, and that is what I'm on the lookout for.

Back
Top Bottom