Frazier Dixielanders

My apologies to all I may have offended, but sheltie dave's response sounded like it came with some "attitude" in itself (or at least it was framed in a provocative manner) which was not predicated on anything having been done on my part except to solicit some general information and observations on the speakers themselves. All my other responses to my thread were positive if not presented in good humor. Sheltie dave’s response, on the other hand, sounded negative (maybe that was my misread) and I simply did what anyone would have did and asked him to be nice. Again, my apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my response, especially to sheltie dave. Fair enough?

bentpencil - thank you for your advice, I will follow it.

You will meet Frazier's lead design engineer in that thread.
You will meet the lead marketing manager.
You will figure out who the prominent owners are, nationwide.
You will find out about Dixielander owners near you.
You will learn about virtually all the Frazier speaker lineup, valuation, various collectors, and how their fans rank the varied speakers.

You can change your mind, sit down with a morning coffee and Danish this weekend, or you can continue to view it as a stream of unbroken conciousness, not worthy of your time and effort to glean and absorb. I have always found that compodium length threads on various forums exceedingly long because they contain the best information.

I noted you would find lots of answers, and that if you spent the time, it would pay off in spades. When I am posting on my phone at work, I don't take the time to be verbose or try to frame things channeling Dale Carnegie. If you bruise easily, the internet is not the place to be, esp. if you are dismissive of the very best Frazier thread in existance. YMMV. :D

sheltie dave - I offered my apology to you and you abused it. You should never put words and concepts in other people’s mouths and then use them solely as a platform to express your anger. I do not know what your issues are, but best of luck with them. I offered my apology, it was not good enough for you, and now I am done making amends to unprovoked passive aggression!

If I may offer a suggestions, look at the "search" box on the Klipsch Community page. There is a shaded box on the side that says "this topic." If you click on it there are other search options, but if you search in "this topic" it will only search in that thread. If there is specific information you're looking for, you can pick it out more easily that way.

Here is more or less what is going on with the Dixielander. More of a folded horn than anything I would say. I have owned a couple pair of these and played around with some modifications for them. I would say that the CAD representations are pretty accurate.

RC

Very cool pictures; love the colors ... similar to my own single speaker. Does AutoCAD have a summer of love pallet?

Very cool pictures; love the colors ... similar to my own single speaker. Does AutoCAD have a summer of love pallet?

I'm not sure of the origin, but would say that they are reasonably accurate after rooting around in several. Color notwithstanding.

RC

Gentlemen, thank you very much. That certainly is one complicated box! So much for my idea of replicating them in my garage. People say that Hereseys lack bass, and I know mine do not extend down very low. There is a set of Cornwalls on Craigslist that I have my eye on. In your opinion, do the Dixielandrers come closer to the Hereseys or the Cornwalls in sound reproduction, or are they a completely different beast? Many thanks to all again!

The folded horn actually is a long horn with a driver mounted to the end of it. Then it is folded on itself to take up less space. The horn/driver combination are usually tuned to some low frequency and the horn length is a fractional portion of that wavelength (1/4, 1/2, etc.). Horns in general are more efficient. Deeper tones, not necessarily. Almost any enclosure design (ported, sealed, infinite baffle, open baffle) can achieve lower frequencies if designed and loaded properly and size/cost aren't limiting factors. A complex folded horn or a transmission line can have a relatively inexpensive driver with most of the cost tied up in the cabinet.

The Dixielander has both an excellent LF driver and an excellent LF cabinet. The HF section is very good as well. The speaker system is a two-way as opposed to a three way. Many believe that the two way is superior - see Altec and JBL's storied histories. If I were in a position to pick up a pair of Dixielanders, I wouldn't hesitate. Having said that, the Cornwalls certainly dig deep - they are famous for their full bottom end. Price, resale value, condition, drive time, WAF - these are the things that may sway you one way or another. They will both sound very good.

Last edited:
Many believe that the two way is superior - see Altec and JBL's storied histories.

*ahem* and Tannoy.

Klipsch history, with the preference for three-way designs, might have been different if PWK could have convinced Altec or JBL to sell him parts instead of forcing him to turn to Electrovoice. Electrovoice's history would have been a lot different, too - no Aristocrat, no Georgian, no Patrician... (I hope no one reads this as an indictment of EV, they've made some wonderful drivers in their history. A beat-up pair of Sentry 100As are doing bedroom duty for me every night.)

Thanks much for the comparison. The Cornwalls may come to be, but the Dixielanders are infinately fascinating! Thanks again that was a great description.

I did not do an extensive search and some might call me lazy. But here's how I look at it. If internet forums such as this are to be reduced to searches, then what's the use of starting new threads? We might as well lock the door and call it done. Please bear in mind I say this under the duress of being branded with a poor attitude, as has happened in this thread. But in the end I guess simply like having positive conversations about interesting topics with people who like talking about this stuff too. Please take my response in the frank, open and candid nature in which it is intended. I have been scorched by those who, for reeasons unknown to me, questioned my motivation and ingenuity. I will do an AK search and let you know what I find!

toxcrusadr - didn't mean to get off track, its just this thread has got a little overly touchy. Thank you for your advice.

*ahem* and Tannoy.

Klipsch history, with the preference for three-way designs, might have been different if PWK could have convinced Altec or JBL to sell him parts instead of forcing him to turn to Electrovoice. Electrovoice's history would have been a lot different, too - no Aristocrat, no Georgian, no Patrician... (I hope no one reads this as an indictment of EV, they've made some wonderful drivers in their history. A beat-up pair of Sentry 100As are doing bedroom duty for me every night.)

Tannoy - too true! I, as well as you, have a pair of beat up Sentry 100As which are in my son's bedroom. They are my favorite small speakers and are probably my most surprising pair. We have compared notes before on these wonderful speakers.

But, in keeping with the original topic, I wouldn't have found out about some of the "sleeper" speakers that fly somewhat under the radar had I not taken some chances. The Cornwalls are very popular and have measured up well over the years. The Fraizers are more eclectic, which appeals to me.

Last edited:
Love the CAD drawings!

There was a guy on the Klipsch Forum (Marvel?) who drew up some plans, and another fellow who I think actually made a pair.

My suggestion to search AK was not meant as either scolding or a desire to squelch discussion. I get what you're saying. I don't know much about these speakers but I remember people being impressed with them from earlier postings, so I thought you might find some good info there. No worries, it's all good.

Back
Top Bottom