Free trials push Apple Music ahead of Pandora and Spotify

uofmtiger

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
"Apple Music is the top music streaming service on our Index, with nearly 41 million monthly unique users reported in February (on mobile devices only). Even without taking PC audiences into account, it’s still the reigning music streaming service, with 20% more monthly unique users than Pandora (32.6 million monthly unique users) or Spotify (30.4 million monthly unique users)."

http://www.vertoanalytics.com/verto-index-streaming-music/

Obviously, this has a lot to do with the three month trial, since they probably have around 20 million paying users. Still interesting given the fact that they did not include AM via iTunes, probably the most used music app on earth, in the calculations.

verto-analytics-index-streaming-music-chart.png

It should be interesting to see what type of success Pandora has with its paid streaming venture since they already have so many "radio" users.

Fascinating results. Their metrics & methodology are indeed a unique twist. Certainly Apple's 3 month trial plays a part in this topsy-turvy survey. Even so, I'm not real sure what to make of it as an accurate reflection of the full listener base. Untilled soil?

Contrasted with the most recent (March 2017) Edison Research-Triton Digital data. Clearly a head "spin".

index.php

Fascinating results. Their metrics & methodology are indeed a unique twist. Certainly Apple's 3 month trial plays a part in this topsy-turvy survey. Even so, I'm not real sure what to make of it as an accurate reflection of the full listener base. Untilled soil?

Contrasted with the most recent (March 2017) Edison Research-Triton Digital data. Clearly a head "spin".

index.php

Not sure I trust phone polls that Edison is using for this type of comparison, either. I guess the users of this type of data really have to dig into the methodology to get an idea of whether it is useful for whatever they want to use it for.

Here is what Verto told TechCrunch about their numbers:

"Verto — a competitor to companies like ComScore that has raised around $24 million — says that it bases its figures on data is pulled from 20,000 SmartPanel users, people in the US and UK who opt-in to Verto’s on-device metering app on their phone, tablet and computer, letting it measure their usage on across devices, apps, and sites. This measurement data is then combined with calibration data that Verto collects from analytics and advertising platforms across nearly half a billion devices monthly. (Customers include Universal Music Group, EA Games, Johnson&Johnson, Microsoft and others.)"

To me, this sounds more complete than the 2000 people that Edison called, but I wouldn't bet my house on either assessment.

To me, this sounds more complete than the 2000 people that Edison called, but I wouldn't bet my house on either assessment.
While I agree that Verto's approach uses a larger sample and is extremely (to a fault possibly) more granular, I don't necessarily think this makes it more "reliable" than Edison/Triton as to total active audience size/usage. To be honest, I don't really know what this Verto study is measuring or means exactly. :confused::rflmao:

The Apple music deal has been pushed really hard and almost invasive if you have Apple Music on your phone and iTunes. A lot of people may have given up and just clicked "accept", I've almost caved in a couple of times. Note there's only an "average" of 12 sessions per user.

Interesting that the total number of streams isn't listed, if it was maybe Youtube would be top.

I just got a "ONE MONTH" free trial of Apple Music to "come back and see what's new" so I pulled the iPad out of mothballs and went for it.

I bailed out of Apple last year when I was gifted a new Samsung Galaxy (and got a new BlackBerry Passport 10 device for my business line), but I do like Apple Music and will enjoy the next month free.

When I retire, I'll decommission my BlackBerry 10 device and my Droid and go back to iPhone, but for now, it's Amazon Prime Music Unlimited and Droid/BlackBerry 10 for this business owner. As a private user, I'll go iPhone as soon as my retirement day hits. :)

Back
Top Bottom