Frequency Response

elasticus

I currently have three Yamaha Amps Ca 800, Ca1000 and the Ca 1000ii. I am trying to understand the differences between these three amps by comparing the frequency response.
All three have been re-capped with quality components and tuned to specifications. I understand that age and new components can impact the character of an amp but I would like to know how these amps compare on paper.
The Ca 1000 has a frequency response of 10 - 50k hz for the Aux stage and 10 - 100k hz on the main amp
The Ca 1000ii has a frequency response of 20 20k hz for the Aux stage and 20 - 100k hz on the main amp
Can this difference in range lead to a difference in audible range.
This approach probably seems crazy to some but I'm still developing my listening skills.

I have the service manual but I can't find the frequency response for the preamp phono section on the ca 800 if somebody can help I would appreciate it.

Since both sets of frequency response ranges cover the entire (theoretical) range of human hearing--20 Hz to 20 KHz, you are not "missing" anything. The more relevant issue is the actual frequency response curve and how those numbers were established. Are those rated at +/- 1 db, +/- 3 db, or (in extreme and sloppy cases) +/- 6 db--this will tell you how "flat" the frequency response curve is over the entire range--which = "accuracy" over the entire range. The even bigger factor is the frequency response range and curve of your speakers. Most amps and preamps are pretty flat--speakers on the other hand--not so much, and very few can even attempt to cover the entire 20 Hz to 20 KHz range--and if you are over the age of 20-25 years old, you are lucky to hear anything above 15-17 KHz--it is what it is.

Again, the same issues apply to the phono preamp stage, but again, there is another limiting factor--what is the frequency response of your cart?

Reactions: mbz
I suppose the answer to my question is no due to me being 57. Vinyl is my main passion and I am running the at 440mlb 20 to 25k Hz which exceeds the range of the phono boards on the larger amps which are both 30 to 15k Hz. On the lower end my phono stage is a limiting factor.
I have paradigm tribute 43 to 45k Hz I should be able to hear lower than this. How low do speakers go?

the real issue at your age (not being critical < I am 73) I doubt you can hear above 15K , you may feel the lower range,

n the lower end my phono stage is a limiting factor.
I have paradigm tribute 43 to 45k Hz I should be able to hear lower than this. How low do speakers go?

In this case (as I mentioned before) the limiting factor is your speakers and your hearing. At your age (and mine), you are not going to hear much (if anything) above 15 KHz, and your speakers are not able to accurately go deeper than the 43 Hz low-end rating--the bonus is that your phono stage rolls off at 30 Hz, so your amp is not trying to feed your speakers a signal well below what they can handle--this is considered "subsonic" rumble and can seriously damage woofers by trying to make them reproduce frequencies that they simply can't. A lot of gear has a subsonic filter to cut out anything below 30 Hz to avoid this issue--you are just fine "as is"--stop chasing the dragon--leave him alone.

Age or not, you can probably hear differences in the RIAA curves. None of the response numbers mean a thing without the tolerance in dB being specified and IMO paper specs are useless for predicting much of anything. An actual measurement of response might or might not reflect what you hear, but the odds are a lot better. Speaking of which, what differences do you hear between the amps?

Also the infrasonic filter can keep your amp from clipping. Humans are limited to about 20hz, anything below this unnecessarily zaps the power from your amp and in my case cause a little motion sickness type of effect and crack the plaster in your listening room.

Back
Top Bottom