From NYC to Nashville

Kreutzbear

Hi everyone.

I'm a brandnewby here at AudioKarma.org, although I've been a member of Tapeheads.net for a year or so when I got back into R2R tape after a 30 year hiatus. I've got 66 year-old ears and about a 60 year obsession with audio and audio gear, going all the way back to the early demonstrations of commercial stereo sound when the tv/radio networks would work in tandem to broadcast one channel via tv and the other via radio. I was hooked in the 1950s when working with my grandfather in Teaneck, NJ to maneuver his tv and console radio into position so that we could listen to steam engine trains, an orchestra and Frank Sinatra in that newfangled stereo sound, and I've been hooked ever since.

My wife and I have lived in the same one bedroom apartment in Manhattan for the past 35 years, into which I've crammed the following gear:

Turntable:
AR-ES1 from 1984 w/Rega arm and Shure V15 Mk V-MR cartridge

Cassette Decks:
Nak Dragon and Nak DR 2

Reel-to-Reel Decks:
Sony TC-458 (favorite)
Pioneer RT-707
Pioneer RT-1020L
Teac X1000 (awaiting rebuild)

Digital (CD):
Alesis Masterlink digital mastering station
Tascam CD-RW700

Digital (DAT):
Sony PCM 300
Denon 2000-G
Pioneer SV-250 portable

D/A Converter:
Adcom CDA 700 DAC

Amplification:
Adcom GPF 555-II preamp
Adcom GFA 555 amp

Power Conditioning:
Adcom ACE 551

Speakers:
Marantz Imperial 7 (first edition circa 1973)
Energy Veritas bookshelfs (post-Klipsh)
Wharfedale Jade 3 (currently blown)

Record Cleaner:
VPI 16.5

I'm a vinylphile extrordinaire (my first LP was Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass's "Whipped Cream and Other Delights") and also a Deadhead former professional operatic basso (wrap your head around that one) who retired from the stage 25 years ago and am now planning on retiring in 2018 from my current career with a prominent white-shoe law firm. We plan to move to our small vacation home on eight acres way out in the country about 60 miles southwest of Nashville where we have a thoroughbred and a walking horse stabled with a neighbor and a circle of friends accumulated over the past 40 years. If Kim-Jong-Stupid doesn't bomb us or Japan I look forward to a long, happy retirement where the only things I have to worry about is access to broadband internet and the armadillos and groundhogs trying to undermine the house.

I probably won't be posting very often here but I will certainly be lurking. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Whipped Cream etc..png
    Whipped Cream etc..png
    72.1 KB · Views: 4
A big howdy from Texas and welcome to the AK forums. Gotta love those armored Texas Chihuahua's.

Welcome & best of luck on your move to the South, better weather & nicer people. I hear you on squeezing gear into a 1 bedroom here in Manhattan. 21 years down in BPC.

Welcome to AK.

Great background in the audio field of endeavour, and your gear is no slouch neither.

Good move for the better when your move takes place and you've honed up that Nash accent.:)

Q

Once upon a time I lived in Manhattan too, I find that now I have much more space to accumulate records and other toys.

Enjoy retirement and your stuff!

I gotta ask, how many sq ft is a 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan?

RT fan hit it pretty close on the head: somewhere in the 500-600 sq. ft. range. Large by today's standards. We're lucky: in 1982 we lucked up in a rent stabilized, pre-war elevator building up by the George Washington Bridge for $325.00. 35 years later we're still paying less than $1,000.00.

Thanks for the warm welcomes you guys. I greatly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom