FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by Poultrygeist, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

Jeff, you need to sell the Saga and for just a few hundred more get the ultimate preamp in the "The Truth"

It's a bargain for anyone with a grand to spend on a preamp but it's not a wonder buy if your budget is under $50.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Linestages.html

invaderzim and Yatsushiro like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Yatsushiro

Yatsushiro Active Member

Not forgetting the 'metapolymer isolation plate' and the 10lb lead weight...

Poultrygeist likes this.
  3. annamarykahn

annamarykahn New Member

my dilvpoverty has, not that it matters, grey not blue film caps, but it looks like mine

i wonder what effect of running the 6j1 at a higher voltage makes?

Dadbeh likes this.
  4. annamarykahn

annamarykahn New Member

looked at the colors on the resistors & it appears that they're the same in both the fx-1 & divpoetry ... i was expecting differences especially since the tube voltages are significantly different

5. hifix

hifix Active Member

Hi Annamarykhan,

Just wondering what is the power supply voltage for the dilvpoetry tube-01 ?

6. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Higher output capability.

7. annamarykahn

annamarykahn New Member

12vdc same as the fx-1

hifix likes this.
  8. Dadbeh

Dadbeh Schrodinger's meerkat Subscriber

im running my FX audio 01 with ifi 12V and i have a dilvpoetry and another no brand one on the way also a bunch of Winged C and Voskhod coming. was not impressed by the GE JAN ones.

9. annamarykahn

annamarykahn New Member

i for one am not surprised at the number of "brands" that use the same circuit board, but what is surprising, to me at least, are that there are "significant" different tube power supply boards and the fx has what appears to be a ferrite on the bottom of the circuit board, & the dilvpoetry does not ...

i wish i knew something about designing circuits with tubes because i wonder what the "optimum" tube voltage is?

10. annamarykahn

annamarykahn New Member

looks like the ferrite is on both. on the fx it is on the bottom of the main board & on the dilvpoetry it is located on the top of the main board under the tube power supply board

11. Pio1980

Optimum operating voltage may or may not be ca 100VDC for audio in triode or pentode, 6.3V on the heater. Exact figures for HV as a triode audio amp are hard to find, other than the factory data sheet that shows 180 VDC max as RF pentode amp. Other than that, it's probably easy to overdrive with too much input, particularly at lower operating voltages.
    Further research shows that it was used in audio previously by Telefunken, as a front end in a microphone pentode preamplifier at ca100 VDC, where overdrive was not likely.

12. annamarykahn

annamarykahn New Member

thx for the wisdom pio!

Pio1980 likes this.
  13. Glennis53.

Glennis53. Member

I have a 6j1 tube preamp that has the tone controls and blue tooth connected to an emotiva A-100 BasX and Elac unifi UB5 speakers. It sounds better than my Mac 4100 with Kef ls 50’s and to my ears it’s not even close. I keep the tone controls flat. The Mac had been serviced at audio classics and exceeded factory specs. I miss that tuner though.

john111/LZ and Poultrygeist like this.
  14. HiFiJeff

HiFiJeff Super Member

It's simply special

15. Pio1980

Simplicity is it's own reward, just imagine the one without the tone section.

16. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

Speaking of simplicity I've ordered this $99 passive from Hong Kong to use with my tube amps. It's getting some great reviews and is said to better than the highly regarded Tisbury passive. No PCB with point to point hand wiring. It's hard to imagine why but high end passives can cost thousands.

[​IMG]

17. Nixxuz

Nixxuz AK Subscriber Subscriber

TBF, it's hard to imagine why a lot of higher end audio gear costs what it does. But hey, it's not my market, so I guess it can bear what it will.

18. hifix

hifix Active Member

Hey that looks nice. I think the no pcb is key for getting the most out of it. The transformer ones might cost abit more to make... but i think its the "idea" of prestige that keeps the high end going.

If the aluminium chassis isnt double frozen and washed with ph balanced unicorn urine. Its clearly not high end.

LCOne likes this.
  19. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

[emphasis added]

Depends on what's inside of them, I'd opine.
    If it's a switch and a pot, yes, I'd concur.
    But some of them are a little more high performance than a pot (or even a switched resistive attenuator) -- and that comes at a price.
    Usually, ya gets what ya pays for.

www.intactaudio.com
    [​IMG]

20. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

I paid around $180 for that Alinco.

I drop in the hat compared to the $1100 transceiver itsi hooked up to. But using an SMPS with a shortwave/HF rig is very tricky. I do have to use the noise offset to push switching noise out if 160m.