FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

What a waste of time that was,just spent a hour with it and fully checked that I haven't made an error,very bad hum on one channel.
Its going back.
That is unfortunate. I will confess my ignorance, as I know not much about these things. If you swap the tubes (socket to socket) does the hum persist?

Im not going to try that,I swapped interconnects between sources,to hopefully prove that I had linked things up wrong but no,the item is a **** up,this is a shame as I do want to work with this item and move forward,
Ive contacted the vendor and lets see what happens.

And possibly buy one of IanCanadas DAC's on diyaudio?

You may also want to try PiCorePlayer or Moode; both seem to get a better SQ from the Piano DAC than Volumio, according to a lot of user reports I've seen. I use PiCorePlayer, which is extremely configurable, and sounds the 'best' to me, with my equipment.
I got a digione player that is running dietpi, even though it is incredibly flexible and thr sound that it makes is just amazing, I might have to revert back to volumio. Just adding a usb external HDD in dietpi is a headache and I have not been able to do it.

I have little to no knowledge on tubes,is there a difference between 6AK5 and 6J1 tubes?

The Soviets cloned USGI military equipment, some of the electrical components were pin compatible with USA parts. The Chinese cloned the Soviet military equipment. The Soviets used tubes in their electronics for quite a while after the US had moved to implement solid state devices in our military equipment. As a WAG, I would imagine that the Chinese are designing low cost consumer electronics using leftover stocks of military parts, including these 6J1 and 6P1 tubes. I have seen red stars on some Chinese tubes. Chinese equivalent of the "OTK" seen on Soviet tubes?

The Soviets imported US technology and advisors in several fields after the revolution when things settled down. Amongst was RCA and tube mfgring in the 1930s, which continued. The aftermath of WW-2 included German engineers and technology brought into play, tho US originated tech remains.

I'm convinced the FX and the Miniwatt/APPJ are a match made in heaven. So much so that the Volt+D is now in another system driving woofers. :yikes:

The MW is a seriously good amp when used with efficient speakers. When my original Miniwatt S1 was introduced some 10 years ago I paid over $250 and thought that a bargain for a SET amp. Today you can buy one on sale at massdrop for $99. It doesn't look like mine as it's trannies are on bottom but otherwise it's the same amp.

Love the bump in gain the FX gives the MW. If you follow the thread here on the MW/APPJ you already know what others are saying about the 4 tube model.

P1010004.jpg

I'm convinced the FX and the Miniwatt/APPJ are a match made in heaven. So much so that the Volt+D is now in another system driving woofers. :yikes:

I ordered another FX yesterday... a silver one this time. That's how much I like it

Still like the Volt+D enough to keep it driving full range

Love the bump in gain the FX gives the MW.

I've found the FX and Nobsound EL34 are a very musical Combo. The FX bump is desirable

Last edited:
some of the 6J1 kits available describe the 6J1 tubes as military quality. and like
the US JAN tubes, there are probably millions available.

the 6J1s are available at about $1 each and that includes shipping here.

all these new amps are like the US in the 60's with the portable radios
and the ever increasing number of treansistors (I recall one advertised
with 25 transistors), they saturate the local market with the same hype
here (tube sound, tube glow, SE ended triodes, etc) and the
overflow comes here.

they are a bargain, it is unlikely that anything is remotely possible
for the price they charge.

and they give all of us a chance to play.

i just got an FX Audio pre- and inserted into a secondary system I have-- Denon DVD player>FX Audio>Crown XLS 2000> whatever brand studio monitors, and was taken aback...a serious upgrade

Im not going to try that,I swapped interconnects between sources,to hopefully prove that I had linked things up wrong but no,the item is a **** up,this is a shame as I do want to work with this item and move forward,
Ive contacted the vendor and lets see what happens.

Actually I was referring to swapping the tubes that you have between left and right...same tubes, swapped sockets.

Picture

pre.png

FX is on top of a hockey puck attached by double sided tape

Nobsound EL34 (power tubes) can barely be seen right-rear

The MW is a seriously good amp when used with efficient speakers. When my original Miniwatt S1 was introduced some 10 years ago I paid over $250 and thought that a bargain for a SET amp. Today you can buy one on sale at massdrop for $99. It doesn't look like mine as it's trannies are on bottom but otherwise it's the same amp.

Love the bump in gain the FX gives the MW. If you follow the thread here on the MW/APPJ you already know what others are saying about the 4 tube model.

View attachment 1445994

What type of speakers are considered "efficient speakers"?

it's a just a personal description. I use this as the treble/upper driver amp for a speaker
not known to be efficient and it is plenty loud.

What type of speakers are considered "efficient speakers"?

Speakers that are rated 93 dbs and above. You could go a couple dbs lower if the speakers are placed in near field.

Examples would be current speakers from Omega, Zu, Tekton, Hornshoppe Horns, Klipsch, to name a few and vintage speakers by Frazier, EPI, Advent etc.

Drivers from Fostex, Lowther, Supervox, some Dayton full rangers, Audio Nirvana, and those pulled from tube consoles and organs are usually very efficient.

Last edited:
So I recently received the Dilvpoetry FX tube-03. I think it's quite nice, but will need some more time to thoroughly evaluate. Listening to some vinyl, everything is very nicely placed and articulate. There have been some passages where some congestion or distortion seems to be present, but I will have to dig deeper to rule out the source (vinyl).....I actually expect the source.....or hope it's the source......I really would like to be completely knocked out by this little piece of gear.

Well, I am a complete toob noob. At this point I prefer to read for a while and move based on my judgment of what I read. So I went ahead ordered and received some RCA 6AK5 based on @Dr. Ears post, as I found the post compelling enough.

Took out the oem tubes and placed the RCAs in. One channel was dead. I swapped the tubes from left to right and the dead channel moved with the tubes. I put the oem tubes back in and both channels came up fine. As I stated, I don't have any tube experience to speak of. Is there anything for me to do here other than getting the seller to replace the tube? I mean, based on what I've done, the issue appears to be the tube, correct?

They are sold as NOS and returnable, etc.

Thanks for any response.

yes it is safe to say that it is the tube. are all the pins in correct shape and/or present? if a tube is not functioning there is not much to do but to throw them away.

yes it is safe to say that it is the tube. are all the pins in correct shape and/or present? if a tube is not functioning there is not much to do but to throw them away.
I will look closely again, but I believe everything was in order.

Not trying to get off the topic of the OP, but......last quick question. It seems the channel is not completely dead, but very, very weak. I assume that tube run in doesn't somehow bring a very weak tube up to a normal output level?

I am by no means an expert but based on my experience two tubes might reach their optimal operating point a few seconds apart. as in, it is possible that when you turn on the amp the two channels have different ouptut levels and after a few seconds the imbalance goes away. this is not just due to the tubes themselves but also due to the circuit requiring a few serconds to bring the tubes to the operating point. but I have never seen or heard about this taking more than a minute. usually 15 to 30 seconds. in your case you already know that it is the tube that is the source of the problem so if you already gave it a good amount of playback time and the problem it still there, id say send it back and get your money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom