1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

G-7000 for reconditioning

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Hyperion, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Here are the before & after pictures for the G-7000 F-2852 EQ = Phono Amp board.

Before (below) and After (right)
    IMG_2469a.jpg IMG_2471a.jpg

Switch has been re-installed, Quality electrolytics installed strategically, Bead diodes replaced, some resistors changed, and other small changes.

The board is now re-installed, leaving just the speaker terminals, and the main PSU capacitors to attend to, plus a few other small jobs here and there. ;)

mattsd, Leestereo and Hipocrates like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music

I'm starting to replace those green blob caps now, I have found a few bad ones lately......Obviously depends on what it is they are doing in the circuit though..
    Looking good though John, its going to be singing in no time....

Hyperion likes this.
  3. sansui88

sansui88 I'm a Bass Line Junkie

Great work John. I keep spotting different things that have been changed on the 2nd picture. Nicely done as well

Hyperion likes this.
  4. Hyperion

Latest progress, the mains cable has been changed for a 3 core round double insulated cable, and the earth core** has been connected to chassis ground. Four 'difficult to get to' electrolytic capacitors hiding behind the rear panel RCA sockets have been changed. The old speaker sockets have been removed and work on mounting the new ones is in progress.

The replacement bulbs have arrived from AK member Dgwojo (the bulb man ;)), and as soon as the last (backordered - now overdue) capacitors arrive from Mouser I'll be able to post a picture of the completed PSU board, and I'll be able to start re-stuffing the main PSU capacitors.

One thing I have really noticed during this particular reconditioning is how much faster the power up sequence is now - in other words the 'time to settle'. Before I started the unit was working, but seemed tired, you would power on and everything seemed slower coming to life. Now, I get power light on, signal strength hits 4½, stereo light on, and protection relay closing all in a much shorter time. Also I notice how very much the DC offset and Bias switch on drift has been reduced. It might be my imagination, but it definitely feels like this G-7000 is 'getting ready for some serious cranking'. :D

**I saw this recently in one of Kevzep's posts, @kevzep and thought what a good idea it was ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    Leestereo, ghazzer and skippy124 like this.
  5. ghazzer

ghazzer Senior Member Subscriber

Good observation. Perhaps it is just grateful for your TLC.

Hyperion likes this.
  6. Hyperion

And now.... Speaker Terminals!

IMG_2476a.jpg

You can also see the new mains cable +new strain relief grommet. ;)

skippy124 and Leestereo like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. sansui88

sansui88 I'm a Bass Line Junkie

Superb work as usual

Hyperion likes this.